Game Day Tokyo Paralympics 2020 / 1

Remove this Banner Ad

And they went quicker than anyone had ever gone before. It was a great swim, just beaten by two bloody amazing swims

Titmus swam over a second slower than the 200 individual final and McKeown was swimming the 200m free for the first time in the meet after she dropped out of the event at the start of the meet.

Got too cute, should have won that easily given they have 3 of the top 7 in the world in the event.

They only beat the backup team who swam the heats by about a body length.

what happened to the girls relay had a work meeting and missed it. Supposed to be unbeatable
They led off with Titmus, probably thinking she’d blow them away but she actually touched in second. McKeon got the lead for a while but in the last leg Ledecky came home like a steam train and nearly won it. Deserved win to the Chinese who were brilliant and our girls were terrific , no shame in bronze though the last legger, Leah Neale, was very upset ,she should be proud.

They led off with Titmus, probably thinking she’d blow them away but she actually touched in second. McKeon got the lead for a while but in the last leg Ledecky came home like a steam train and nearly won it. Deserved win to the Chinese who were brilliant and our girls were terrific , no shame in bronze though the last legger, Leah Neale, was very upset ,she should be proud.

Looking at the split times, even with the change over reduction, Ledecky would have beaten Titmus by about a body length.

Looking at the splits, we didn’t win any relay leg.

Titmus was 2nd, McKeon 4th, Wilson 3rd, Neale 4th.

You arent winning any relays with that.

Ledecky swam the fastest leg of the race, followed by Yang.

You don’t generally get boil overs in relays as it’s hard to be beaten across multiple swimmers. Probably the biggest boil over of the meet.

We were lucky to medal at all, if it wasn’t for the Canadians second leg, we wouldn’t have.

Huge error by the coaches in not leading off with Mollie O’Callaghan who would have still touched clear second based on her heat lead out time and then you could have come home with Titmus.

Purely swapping O’Callaghan with Neale would have got Silver based on the times. Titmus swimming last may have got her closer to a second slower than her final swim and which would have clearly then won gold.

Last edited:
Mollie O’Callaghan.

Her heat swim time would have been the 4th fastest swim of the final behind Ledecky, Yang and Titmus.

She’s only 17, has a big future at Paris.
Yes I was impressed with her in the semis. Probably should have led off with her and finished with Titmus as she seems to like chasing leaders down.

FMD. They only got beaten by a team that smashed the World Record. No other Australian team has swam faster. The comment that the last 2 swimmers weren't great is just rubbish.

Some times you just get beaten by a better team, it happens.

Mollie O’Callaghan.

Her heat swim time would have been the 4th fastest swim of the final behind Ledecky, Yang and Titmus.

She’s only 17, has a big future at Paris.
and she may have chocked in the final.

FMD. They only got beaten by a team that smashed the World Record. No other Australian team has swam faster. The comment that the last 2 swimmers weren't great is just rubbish.

Some times you just get beaten by a better team, it happens.

and she may have chocked in the final.

And she might not have?

The coaches picked a girl that hit the water for the first and only time for the Olympics in that relay final and another who was swimming the 200M F for the first time.

MoC is already a gold medalist in the meet.

You realize her lead off swim in the heat would have claimed bronze in the individual 200m final and broken the previous OR?

How do you leave that out of a 4 person relay?

And she might not have?

The coaches picked a girl that hit the water for the first and only time for the Olympics in that relay final and another who was swimming the 200M F for the first time.

MoC is already a gold medalist in the meet.

You realize her lead off swim in the heat would have claimed bronze in the individual 200m final and broken the previous OR?

How do you leave that out of a 4 person relay?
Ifs and Buts. The team that went out there swam faster than any other Australian team ever has. It took an outstanding swim to beat them.

Ifs and Buts. The team that went out there swam faster than any other Australian team ever has. It took an outstanding swim to beat them.

They only swam that fast because they have one of the fastest swimmer in history in the event.

Leah Neale finished 7th at the Olympic Trials in the 200m, was a bizarre decision when you had a 17 year old swim the 3rd fastest time in the last 2 years in the heat.

O’Callaghan would have beaten Titmus by 1.5 seconds at the trials with that heat swim and Neale by 3.5 seconds - which is about 3 body lengths.

Lol Matt Shirvington when they crossed briefly to the trap shooting "Oh here's Aussie Letitia now, let's just stay with this for a second ... oh well done, great shot."
Meanwhile bottom of the screen shows her score change from 1/2 to 1/3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They only swam that fast because they have one of the fastest swimmer in history in the event.

Leah Neale finished 7th at the Olympic Trials in the 200m, was a bizarre decision when you had a 17 year old swim the 3rd fastest time in the last 2 years in the heat.

O’Callaghan would have beaten Titmus by 1.5 seconds at the trials with that heat swim and Neale by 3.5 seconds - which is about 3 body lengths.
Ok, I'll agree with you.

The girls have let down the whole of Australia. They should be injected with Covid and never allowed back in to the country.

Really liking the shooting. A bit of reflex stuff, stiff composure and a lot of skill. If I had the time and money, I wouldn't mind getting into shooting as a sport.

Real nerves of steel stuff.
Like the fencing though, you just know that most of these competitors were born with a silver spoon.
To a degree, more so country backgrounds where their parents and grandparents haven't given in all their guns.

To a degree, more so country backgrounds where their parents and grandparents haven't given in all their guns.
I did both fencing and shooting growing up. The shooting was because my parents wanted me to join a gun club to have gun safety really drummed into me with the amount of shooting we did on family farms, and the fencing club was set up by a couple of ex Australia reps who lived in the district.
Enjoyed them both as sports, although I did eventually drop them for other sports.

I did both fencing and shooting growing up. The shooting was because my parents wanted me to join a gun club to have gun safety really drummed into me with the amount of shooting we did on family farms, and the fencing club was set up by a couple of ex Australia reps who lived in the district.
Enjoyed them both as sports, although I did eventually drop them for other sports.
Definitely are more luxury sports compared to most. I have played footsul, soccer, AFL, touch footy, tennis and cricket, but I have found that cricket has the best balance for socializing and playing, with footy second.

Definitely are more luxury sports compared to most. I have played footsul, soccer, AFL, touch footy, tennis and cricket, but I have found that cricket has the best balance for socializing and playing, with footy second.
I think, that like a lot of niche sports, people tend to go better in shooting and fencing when they have a strong family connection to it. Once you reach competition level it becomes a big commitment, and particularly hard if your family is heavily invested in the other sports you play.

Agree about cricket and the balance, I also found winter team tennis and football good for both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back