Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
It seems like Tom Barrass has got to a stage where he is playing well at WAFL each week. Barrass is highly rated by the club and fans but at 20(turning 21) and in his third season he would be be in the best 22 in a lot clubs. Last season an under an done barrass was brought into the side and did quite well under the circumstances. He did get destroyed by jenkins on a day where our midfield didn't turn up and barrass was left one on one against jenkins who was 5cm taller and around 10-15 kgs heavier. There are few clubs in need of a quality key defenders and barrass fits the bill as the modern key defender thats not only able to play his man but has a great understanding of the play and know when to peel off and kill the ball or take an intercept mark. Barrass at 21 has had a lot of development put into him and he is not far off from being fully physically developed and hence would make an ideal target for many sides including the three time premiers .Hawks have made it clear they are looking for a key defenders and are looking at quality kids struggling to get games for their side. So should the club be putting more games into barrass now and possibly move gov forward and allow barrass to take the third tall and play as the intercepting defender?

Should be getting games soon, let us move Gov up forward.

Or let us drop Eric to the WAFL :$

I'm sure Tommy knows where he sits in the hierarchy of talls. It took an unprecedented number of injuries last season for him to actually play.

Does he come in for Schofield at any stage? Big fan of schoey but think he's been pretty poor the last few weeks, surely couldn't hurt to reward Barrass' form and straight swap them, even if it's just for the Collingwood game?

Should be getting games soon, let us move Gov up forward.

Or let us drop Eric to the WAFL :$

Agree with first bit.

Let urself down with second. ruined a perfectly good suggestion.

Schofield out.

I'm sure Tommy knows where he sits in the hierarchy of talls. It took an unprecedented number of injuries last season for him to actually play.
We'd want to be careful then, because I'm sure our purple friends would like to get their hands on him

We'd want to be careful then, because I'm sure our purple friends would like to get their hands on him
i would be more concerned with hawks getting him than freo. Freo want established stars but theres a rumour thats hawks are looking for quality kids that struggling for game time at other clubs. Hawks already have had few players that have joined them and gone up a level or two. at 20 Barrass could be a massive draft steal and could flourish under frawly and gibson. i would be in tears if that happens.

Most certainly now at that stage where he's at the cusp of cracking B22.
He's too good in the WAFL.

with the pies having three tall backmen we could chuck gov forward and barrass play in defence.

i would be more concerned with hawks getting him than freo. Freo want established stars but theres a rumour thats hawks are looking for quality kids that struggling for game time at other clubs. Hawks already have had few players that have joined them and gone up a level or two. at 20 Barrass could be a massive draft steal and could flourish under frawly and gibson. i would be in tears if that happens.
All teams will have their feelers out, not just the Hawks, but Freo would be a much more attractive prospect IMO. They would guarantee him B22 gametime every match, he wouldn't have to move house, and would get a payrise.

Not sure Hawthorn could offer those things, even though the lure of success would be greater. Whilst i'm sure they're gonna look for players not getting enough game time, I reckon their age bracket would be 2-3 years higher, and they'd want someone who've proven themselves somewhat. In the case of O'Rourke, I'm sure the homesickness thing was a contributing factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its a change we could trial. Barrass to Govs role. Gov to the forward line to give us another target. Drop a small possibly Cripps.
i agree we are playing one too many small. It also means that darling will be matched up on the third tall where he is much better at dominating a game. also when a nic nat or lycetts goes forward, darling will find him self a miss match and will exploit it.

I think its a change we could trial. Barrass to Govs role. Gov to the forward line to give us another target. Drop a small possibly Cripps.
Something's gotta be done with Cripps/Hill/Le Cras. I don't think we can consistently play all three. One (preferably two/three) of our forwards must be able to be another effective inside midfield rotation.

Something's gotta be done with Cripps/Hill/Le Cras. I don't think we can consistently play all three. One (preferably two/three) of our forwards must be able to be another effective inside midfield rotation.
Cripps looked like he could be a good inside mid. He's tough, loves to tackle and also just seems like a good in an under type but so far hasn't done much.

Cripps looked like he could be a good inside mid. He's tough, loves to tackle and also just seems like a good in an under type but so far hasn't done much.
Might pay for us to drop him for a chunk of the season and play him exclusively in the guts at EP to develop his clearance work.

Leave Lecca in the forward line, bring Nelson/Cole in, push Wellingham up the middle more.

Sure, we're going for a flag, but we can't just hope for Plan A to work every time, and we should be trying to continue developing flexibility

Might pay for us to drop him for a chunk of the season and play him exclusively in the guts at EP to develop his clearance work.

Leave Lecca in the forward line, bring Nelson/Cole in, push Wellingham up the middle more.

Sure, we're going for a flag, but we can't just hope for Plan A to work every time, and we should be trying to continue developing flexibility
Theres going to be a time when our fixture eases up a bit so we could chuck him into the middle more often then. Things havent worked for us yet but we are still in the hunt at this stage. In the short term i agree cripps needs to be dropped.

Gosh there is some kneejerk on this board this week. Barrass isn't going to fix the midfield issue which is where the problem actually is.

i agree we are playing one too many small. It also means that darling will be matched up on the third tall where he is much better at dominating a game. also when a nic nat or lycetts goes forward, darling will find him self a miss match and will exploit it.
You think 7 talls isn't enough and we need 8?

EMac, Schoey, Barrass, NicNat, Lycett, Darling, JK, Gov

Just seems a bit too tall for me. I thought a lot of teams were reducing their talls a bit to deal better with the interchange changes.

Not completely against it, I am just thinking it may cause us to lose another rotation in the midfield in the process.

We need mids who can stand heat

Barrass can play and I'm sure will get an opportunity

Oddly we miss brown also

You think 7 talls isn't enough and we need 8?

EMac, Schoey, Barrass, NicNat, Lycett, Darling, JK, Gov

Just seems a bit too tall for me. I thought a lot of teams were reducing their talls a bit to deal better with the interchange changes.

Not completely against it, I am just thinking it may cause us to lose another rotation in the midfield in the process.
yeah maybe drop schofield for a few games and bring barrass. Adelaide's one of the form teams in the comp and they have 8 talls with lever, talia, hartigan, jacobs, jenkins, lynch, mcgovern and walker. It might not work for us but with weaker opposition it should be tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back