MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone at the game (I don't know if t was in tv) see the s**t Carlisle was dishing up to him? What a ****.

Didn't notice it at the ground, but surely even the meekest of retorts would've been the easiest victory the world has known since life (and Jake) slid out of the primordial ooze and onto land.

external

Anyone at the game (I don't know if t was in tv) see the s**t Carlisle was dishing up to him? What a ****.

Carlisle probably should have worried about kicking a goal when playing deep forward for a half....

15 touches and a goal with big ruck minutes still. Solid game.

If that ends up as his baseline with the odd great game, he will be in our top 10 players soon.

Boyd didn't take a backward step but Jake was being a tool

In other news night follows day and Sevens Saturday night commentary team is a national ******* embarrassment on par with the circus that is about to unfold tomorrow morning.

Anyways...Thought Boyd was very good today, he battled away and used his bulk to advantage at many stoppages. He's coming along in a nicely unspectacular way.

In other news night follows day and Sevens Saturday night commentary team is a national ******* embarrassment on par with the circus that is about to unfold tomorrow morning.

Anyways...Thought Boyd was very good today, he battled away and used his bulk to advantage at many stoppages. He's coming along in a nicely unspectacular way.
Different journeys and all that, but English's first game shows how far Toyd has come.

Yeah, I was there but I didn't notice that.

What I did notice was Carlisle getting into his team mates for not kicking it to him when he went forward!

I reckon a few of them would be pretty p****ed off with his attitude and carry on.

Becoming nice in the mid. Crashing packs, getting the ball and getting out of the backs. Done a few twists, being pretty mobile.

Coming along nicely

Went to the game

Bulldog fans - he frustrates the hell out of me because I want him to dominate, so my question is what should be his expectations for this year? 30-40 goals?
Will he eventually be a stay at home forward?

Watching Daniher and thinking I want Boyd to do that. Will he ever be the focal point up forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to the game

Bulldog fans - he frustrates the hell out of me because I want him to dominate, so my question is what should be his expectations for this year? 30-40 goals?

Watching Daniher and thinking I want Boyd to do that. Will he ever be the focal point up forward?
He doesn't have the athleticism of Daniher so he won't ever be that. You won't see him become a more dominant forward until he is physically stronger than his opponent, which won't happen for a year or two.

He'll be a really good player, but at the moment the work he is doing around the ground is going to help him more over time than staying in the goalsquare. But I don't think he'll ever be a dominant forward. But I think he'll be an A grade player in his own way.

Went to the game

Very different forward role to that of a Daniher more of a Hawkins/Roughead role is what I see in his future. Probably more rucking then both of those guys. Will be quite a unique player in that he will be a genuine Ruck/fwd allowing great flexibility, whilst having decent skills around the ground. Especially in the post-Roughead future. A ruck duo of Boyd/English is super flexible and allows for so many set ups, that Bev seems to trial new ideas...

Went to the game

This year? I'm expecting 25ish goals. He's played ruck for half the season due to injury.

I love that Boyd is doing well in the ruck and played a blinder in the grand final in the ruck but now with Roughead back and English getting a game its gotta be time to put Boyd forward. At the end of the day his a forward and will be an elite forward. I no Boyd has been good this year but where not paying him 1 million a year to ruck are we?

Has been really promising lately so I'm happy with that. Keen to see the Roughy and Boyd partnership back in full flight. Would really like to see at least a 60/40 or even 70/30 game for him forward/ruck wise. Think we'll see massive improvement in his results in that role from the last time he played it.

Did anyone see Future Stars?

Yes. Chat about contract, old footage of he and Daicos, grand final footage, brief chat about his u/18 carnival, then I turned off. Spoke well and carried himself with aplomb as always.

Did anyone see Future Stars?

The great man has uploaded it to YouTube and turns out the part I missed was the best, with a focus on your man Dal and the list build with Shifter.

Went to the game

Daniher being the same height but 10kg lighter than boyd suggests our big fella needs to drop a bit more weight and keeping adding a bit more to his tank. The rucking is helping with that. He's now becoming a great help around the stoppages with his big frame and he's also starting to bust the lungs of the more traditional rucks around the ground which is good to see.

One thing I've noticed is that he's looking calm with the ball at AFL level now and no longer panicking when in possession and being tackled. I've been critical of him for looking like a slow thinker with ball in hand but that part of his game has improved heaps in recent weeks.

Might be feeling comfortable at this level now. He's been playing well for a few weeks. Happy with how he's been progressing. I don't think he's far off from being one of our most important players whether that be in the ruck or up forward.

He's starting to win me over thinking he'll be a gun rather than just an average bit part player prone to mistakes.

Just watching the replay now and one thing that struck me is that Macartin is having the same issue of dropping of easy marks that Boyd is being criticized for. Maybe, just possibly it is an issue with young big guys just not able to put it quite together yet.
For what its worth i think Macartin is showing enough to show he will be more than ok in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back