MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Was probably his best game for his career, even though I don't think it should come as a surprise to a heap of people because it wasn't as if he was bad early in the year before his injury.

If he keeps this form up he easily could be the difference between winning and losing a finals match.

Was probably his best game for his career, even though I don't think it should come as a surprise to a heap of people because it wasn't as if he was bad early in the year before his injury.

If he keeps this form up he easily could be the difference between winning and losing a finals match.
yeh it shouldn't be as surprising as it is

That was a very impressive performance from Tom Boyd tonight. It's not just that he was up against a strong and experienced side in a game of intense pressure and kicked 3 goals - despite rucking for a third of the match.

It's that he had a massive weight of criticism expectation and gratuitous contract advice on his shoulders. The opposition fans would have been giving it to him and you would understand if his self-belief was starting to flag.

But instead he came out and made a statement. "I'm Tom Boyd and I'm going to have a big impact on this game and the whole competition for years to come." That showed more mental strength than I thought he had. Not bad for a 20yo.

Well played Tom. Your best game of senior footy by a mile and a huge step forward in your career.

Career Matches with all three of, at least, 18 touches, 3 goals and 6 hitouts.

Tippett: 4 (includes 2 against expansion Gold Coast and 1 against 2012 Melbourne)
Roughead: 4
Boyd: 1
Dixon: 1
Hale: 1
Kreuzer: 1
Stanley: 1 (no, it wasn't this game)
Griffiths: 1 (against Essendon two weeks ago...)
Wright: 1 (against the Lions three weeks ago...)
Lobb: 0
Jenkins: 0
Hawkins: 0
Ryder: 0
Sinclair: 0
Lycett: 0
Naitanui: 0
Ceglar: 0
Bellchambers: 0
Clarke: 0
Pyke: 0
Brown: 0
Westhoff: 0
Vickery: 0
Bruce: 0
Casboult: 0
Jo. Roughead: 0

Let me know if there's any other forward/rucks you'd like me to look up.

Stkilda supporters should concern themselves that they picked Billings before the Bont .
Tom was very good tonight, and probably his best game for the club. The sad sacks will be disappointed he played well, as doesn't fit their narrative that Toms a dud and a waste of money .

Career Matches with all three of, at least, 18 touches, 3 goals and 6 hitouts.

Tippett: 4 (includes 2 against expansion Gold Coast and 1 against 2012 Melbourne)
Roughead: 4
Boyd: 1
Dixon: 1
Hale: 1
Kreuzer: 1
Stanley: 1 (no, it wasn't this game)
Griffiths: 1 (against Essendon two weeks ago...)
Wright: 1 (against the Lions three weeks ago...)
Lobb: 0
Jenkins: 0
Hawkins: 0
Ryder: 0
Sinclair: 0
Lycett: 0
Naitanui: 0
Ceglar: 0
Bellchambers: 0
Clarke: 0
Pyke: 0
Brown: 0
Westhoff: 0
Vickery: 0
Bruce: 0
Casboult: 0
Jo. Roughead: 0

Let me know if there's any other forward/rucks you'd like me to look up.
Goldstein?

I think the question now for the future, is Boyd a Tippett type? Will we require him as back up ruck? I hope we don't for much of his career. Obviously Bev prefers mobile rucks that are capable of playing a versatile role. I really rate Campbell, but I think he really is a sole ruck type of player. However we did see that when BTC & Roughy played together they were able to nullify the best rucks in the comp, so perhaps that duo is our future ruck combo and we can station Boyd in the forward 50 and let him use his tank to make leads, instead of compete in the ruck for a good chunk of the game.

Thought he was brilliant contesting the ground balls tonight. Not a mark or nothing type at all. Very good second and third efforts.

Last two weeks his hands have really impressed me. Seems to get his hands out and can get the ball to teammates. Or in close uses and finds teammates. One of his late in game pickups below his knees and immediate handballs to a runner on outside was elite tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see your dog and raise you a Toyd mark and goal.
Gif his last quarter lead and goal from tonight and maybe you pass the dog on the treadmill.....
That lead was vintage Tom u18's style. Lead back to goal and was watching the space open up and then lead beautifully once he knew Libba was looking.

Great game last night and really something to build on. I think the only poor thing he did around the ball was missing the chip kick to Dahl but he hit that short pass a number of times tonight so it's no real concern. Won frees by launching at the ball, took a strong mark defensively standing in the hole, presented and contested well and finished off his good work in front of goal. I think tonight was a real step forward and hopefully he uses it to launch a good finish to the season and can gain some finals experience. Due to Redpath's bad luck there is a great opportunity over the next 12 months for Boyd.

I'd love it if someone created a website purely devoted to critiquing journalists and their performance. They spend so much time criticizing players and digging up dirt with little to no consequence. Let's turn the tables and start analysing their performance and their comments. Starting with the outlandish rumours that are often eventually proven as rubbish, the forecasts and predictions that fall so far short of being right, and the so called facts that are completely inaccurate.

SEN has a spot with Dave Lowden (Journalism lecturer La Trobe Uni) about how people in media perform and how sports people interact/use the media. Enlightening stuff.

He was good tonight.

Don't listen to anything the media and/or Norf or St Kilda shitstains have to say about him.
As if. :smile::smile::smile:

From my lounge room I could see a big improvement in Tom's contesting. He seems much more confident and purposeful. He is beginning to believe in himself. Well done to the coaches who have put/are putting the work into building Tom's game. This is just the beginning.

Loved Tom's game. Still so much improvement but kicked beautifully, competed, marked, showed good game awareness and poise. Competed in the air better, resulting in long overdue free kicks. Career high possessions. Was just a glimpse of the future.

And he did all that whilst maintaining wonderful hair.

Well done Tom
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

What impresses me about Tom is that apart from the games against St Kilda in round 2 and Brisbane last year, his other games where he kicks multiple goals and having some sort of presence and influence have came against good opposition

Hawthorn last year he booted 3 goals and was also ok against them this year just he didn't kick straight

Sydney last year he booted two and made Grundy work overtime

Booted two against prime Freo last year and had Johnson coming third man up against him all afternoon

Played excellent team oriented roles against Adelaide and GWS also where I think he kicked 2 in both games also but most importantly he brought it to ground and kept Talia and Davis honest

Now he kicks 3 against Geelong last night where he rucked a large portion in a game we were undermanned up against a few AA defenders

We will play these types of quality teams come September over the years, it's good to see he is having an impact against the best defences going around already, he is definitely no flat track bully which is awesome because those types go missing come September.

That hair...
images
images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back