Tom Boyd 'not in the best 22', admits skipper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And not just a s**t premiership player, he played a godly grand final
I think that’s the frustrating part - he’s shown his upside so it’s not that he’s a dud at all. People like to trot out the ‘one good game’ line but he’s had enough good games to know he has the ability. Just doesn’t put it together often enough.

Just not very good. If not for being pick #1 we’d probably have never heard of him.

No big deal, plenty of high picks don’t go on to be any good. The draft age is too young so it’s unavoidable.

The contract is downright ludicrous but there were some kinda extenuating circumstances with the Griffen situation.

It was just perfectly timed for Boyd, he was still known as a #1 pick and hadn’t yet played enough to expose that he actually wasn’t that good.

It's a bit odd and while circumstances have been kind to Boyd, I doubt they help his motivation - got all the money and the flag so early what does he have to play for now?

Because he looked every inch a number 1 draft pick in the Grand Final. And not before and not again.

It's a bit odd and while circumstances have been kind to Boyd, I doubt they help his motivation - got all the money and the flag so early what does he have to play for now?

Because he looked every inch a number 1 draft pick in the Grand Final. And not before and not again.

He’s played a few decent games at senior level, incl the GF. But I think he’s just not that good.

Xavier Ellis and Tom Langford are a bit the same, had very good GFs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Hogan had a different pathway to a high draft pick key forward. So it isn't a useful comparison.
Why not ?
He spent a year on the sidelines as a 19 year old with stress fractures in his back.

He played better footy as a 20 year old than these chumps at 22+. How long has their "pathway" been now ?

Keep making s**t excuses.

Why not ?
He spent a year on the sidelines as a 19 year old with stress fractures in his back.

He played better footy as a 20 year old than these chumps at 22+. How long has their "pathway" been now ?

Keep making s**t excuses.

He wasn't brought up because the premise was on #1 picks taking their time. He was not a #1. You don't need us to tell you Hogan is good.

Sigh, I give up. Have a nice evening mate.
Explain how their draft pick number matters ? Once you're on a list you're on a list.

The best talls are nearly always taken early and most in history are guns by the time they're 22. Everyone points to Hawkins as the exception to that rule, but there aren't many.

I could list at least a dozen talls that were stars by the time they were 21/22.

If you're a former pick one and spudding it up at 22 you're virtually certain to at best be just an OK player. At worst, you're toast.

Your evenings start early. Enjoy.

He was essentially pick 3. How much difference is that ? Why are you restricting your conversation to tall former pick ones ?

It wasn't my conversation. Someone stated that if you were drafted #1 then you should be good enough to play from the get go. That's why Hogan wasn't brought up in the replies, because he wasn't #1. Hogan is very much an outlier compared to the others though.

Explain how their draft pick number matters ? Once you're on a list you're on a list.

The best talls are nearly always taken early and most in history are guns by the time they're 22. Everyone points to Hawkins as the exception to that rule, but there aren't many.

I could list at least a dozen talls that were stars by the time they were 21/22.

If you're a former pick one and spudding it up at 22 you're virtually certain to at best be just an OK player. At worst, you're toast.

Your evenings start early. Enjoy.

ive gone through a lot of current AFL tall forwards careers
and the ones that are good have their breakthrough by their 3-4th seasons.

the ones that dont are the avg players.

ive gone through a lot of current AFL tall forwards careers
and the ones that are good have their breakthrough by their 3-4th seasons.

the ones that dont are the avg players.
Yep and why restrict it to current ?

The following were stars, or close to it, by the age of 21/22. Some sooner.

Kernahan, Carey, Lockett, Dunstall, Brereton, Franklin, Lloyd, Longmire, Hudson, Wade, Hart, McKenna, Rocca, N. Riewoldt, J Riewoldt, Schwarz and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. Two current players in that lot.

If you're still a spud at 22 then history shows you're likely to remain a spud, or at best become an OK player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back