Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Those final two years of his contract should count against the Bulldogs. They used that length of tenure to rip him out of a club early, they should now have to wear the consequences.

This should serve as a warning for clubs that want to dangle these uncommercial godfather style deals. They got a flag so it’s been a good investment but they should not get any relief because it’s ended early.

Pretty sure Swans had to pay Tippett against the cap beyond retirement.
We was contracted to GWS. All you had to do was say no deal.

You traded him out of your club so the rules are different to a RFA. Why is that so hard to understand.

So clubs can now throw massive $$$ to get a player to them and then mid contract tear it up and use the money elsewhere. I thought new rules were bought in after the Buddy deal to stop this stuff. And then you add in backloaded contracts and so on. There is now way this should be allowed.
Buddy was a RFA. If hawks dont match the deal he can leave.

Boyd was contacted and 19. GWS say nick off to the bulldogs and he stays at GWS.

The rules for RFA are there to stop the godfather deals you describe, pricing out the club who has to match an offer.

Try and understand the rules.

Should every 30 year old player who pulls out a year early have the remainder of his contract go toward the salary cap for the year he doesnt play? I think not.

Can somebody quote me the rule where it says FA contracts cant be torn up yet trade contracts can? If Pickering is the only quote going around I think I'll wait for official comment from HQ. Expect Caro tee off on this one, IIRC she called it the worst trade in history at the time.
Caro is nothing but a skid mark on the toilet bowl of life.
She has a track record of kicking people while they're down so of course she will tee off on a bloke retiring for mental health issues.

Watch them again, this time with your eyes open.

I watched them with my eyes open the first time. What on Earth are you talking about?

so many players? A Deakin study in 2017 found nearly 1 in 5 Australians had battled mental illness within the previous 12 months. Mental illness is also growing at alarming rates, and professional athletes are just as susceptible as any other person. In fact the pressures placed on players and the fact they live their lives in the public eye probably places them at greater risk
Economics and upbringing makes people more prone too.

But AFL players have lots of support, lots of money, and mostly all went to private school.

Also true. Mind you, the Hawks can't really complain too hard about being on the **** end of Free Agency for once...
Lol a bigfooty myth that one. People get free agency mixed up with trading.
Through free agency we got Frawley, a delisted Henderson, a delisted Simpkin, Minchington and Vickery lol.
We have lost Buddy, Suckling, Ellis, Young, Murphy.

Last edited:
I would have spudded it up in the VFL for another 2 years for a million a piece

I have very little doubt the size of the contract contributed to the pressure he would’ve felt. It was infamous and talked about basically whenever his name was spoken publicly.

It’s a weight off his shoulders, I’m sure.

Probably a bit of a sobering lesson for all clubs and players. A contract so out of whack puts a target on your back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Tom tells his side of his footy career in detail someday. Best wishes for him and his future.
Open Mike type interview in 2 years would be fantastic. Not with Mike of course, would be 30 minutes talking about his contract.

There would be a couple of ex bulldogs players very nervous waiting to watch that interview.

Lol a bigfooty myth that one. People get free agency mixed up with trading.
That's a fair point, but it's partially because Brian Lake and Frawley came - Lake indirectly - as a result of Free Agency... and that fixed the last hole in your otherwise great side, a reliance on very ordinary defenders.

That, and the the fact that Frawley and Vickery were both the big fish in their Free Agency years IIRC.

Economics and upbringing makes people more prone too.

But AFL players have lots of support, lots of money, and mostly all went to private school.
Have you got any stats on the breakup of afl players who went to private school v public school?

Im going out on a limb here but im guessing you dont.

Open Mike type interview in 2 years would be fantastic. Not with Mike of course, would be 30 minutes talking about his contract.

There would be a couple of ex bulldogs players very nervous waiting to watch that interview.

what do you mean by “ex bulldog players would be nervous waiting to watch that interview”?
Is there a back story behind this?

Is that right? Lets take a look at the responses to your statement here and see if your weight of numbers do add up:
Against...

For... *crickets.

No one is arguing he didnt play a ripper of a game, and many believe he should have been awarded the Norm smith medal but please, one of the GFs best ever? I dont think so matey. He played a great game, took 8 marks and 3 goals as a key forward (stats arent the be all and end all I know). Consider the following:

89 GF Dunstall kicked 8 and GAblett kicked 9 goals in the losing side and won the NSM.
1980 GF Kevin Bartlett Kicked 7 goals and took 9 marks from the midfield (NSM)
1992 Peter Matera kicked 5 goals from a wing (NSM) Peter Sumich also kicked 6 in the same game.

There are many more- most would agree Shueys performance in last years GF was one of the best in the AFL era.

Your numbers dont stack up, but I guess if you have been following footy for such a short time, you could be forgiven for thinking no one before 2016 had done much.

I must of missed Dunstall's other 4 goals.

Despite everything, I always thought that Boyd was a gutsy trade from WB who had struggled (excluding an old Hall) for KPFs since Grant. It was the type of trade that I had always wished West Coast had the balls to make for up-and-coming superstars.

Ultimately, he helped them achieve a premiership by playing the best AFL football of his career in the two most important games of his career. It's a shame that he wasn't able to reproduce that afterwards.

He will, despite my best wishes for a Sydney premiership (or rather, a lack of Bulldogs premierships), be a Western Bulldogs legend and he deserves to be remembered as such.

ManOfClay, one of the few things that I am willing to concede about the Bulldogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back