Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Through no fault of his own Tom has had a huge target on his back. He carried that for years as a young man and he suffered for it. This must have been a very hard decision and I hope it becomes a rallying point that enables the tide to turn against keyboard warriors and faceless bullies.

I hope Tom beats his demons, I hope he can one day find his way back to footy.

Well he did make the choice to take the big money contract offered by the Bulldogs which placed more scrutiny on him, if he stayed at GWS on less money there would have been less scrutiny on him but he may have suffered the same mental health issues regardless.

Well he did make the choice to take the big money contract offered by the Bulldogs which placed more scrutiny on him, if he stayed at GWS on less money there would have been less scrutiny on him but he may have suffered the same mental health issues regardless.
Your point being?

What does where the league is run have anything to do with media scrutiny? The NFL headquarters are in NY, so do the New York Jets and Giants come under more scrutiny than say the LA Rams?

You think that in the NFL for example where most contracts are non-guaranteed and players can get traded without even knowing are under less scrutiny/pressure than AFL players who live and play in Melbourne?

Where the big players can't go over seas in the off season to escape the media as they are world famous unlike the Aussie ones?

There is no comparison between the scrutiny of American players and the Australian ones. Yet

In your example you are looking at, NY's major sporting teams are.

NFL - Giants and Jets
NBA - Knicks and Nets
MLB - Yankees and Mets
MLS - City and Red Bulls
NHL - there are 3 ice hockey teams.

And NY's major sport is not unanimous, while Melbourne has 9/10 teams for their major sport (major by a mile) in a population half of NY. I don't live in Melbourne, but those sort of factors would contribute to a fish bowl type of pressure.

Open Mike type interview in 2 years would be fantastic. Not with Mike of course, would be 30 minutes talking about his contract.

There would be a couple of ex bulldogs players very nervous waiting to watch that interview.

Agreed. Or a long form journalism piece telling the story from beginning to end. The story of young men with high expectations failing to meet them is as old as time, as is the story of acceptance and or redemption.

RE The ex bulldogs players, did he get a tough time from some in regards to his pay-check and performance?

Random note. Not that its any of my business. But I'd be really interested to know if there is a significant history of mental illness in his family. How much of his condition is biological vs him being imprisoned and ruled over by the expectations imposed upon him by a lifetime of worship of his athletic prowess? Getting recognition or affirmation for nothing other than being an athletic standout, something you may not want to base your life around, would emotionally unsettle anyone.

Your point being?

Any player that takes a big money contract (ie. 1 million dollars or more per year) should be aware that they will get more scrutiny as a result, especially if they don't perform to the level expected of a player worth that sort of money. If you can't handle that then you probably shouldn't take that sort of contract.

Any player that takes a big money contract (ie. 1 million dollars or more per year) should be aware that they will get more scrutiny as a result, especially if they don't perform to the level expected of a player worth that sort of money. If you can't handle that then you probably shouldn't take that sort of contract.

You expect a 18 or 19 year old kid to knock that contract back...get real

You expect a 18 or 19 year old kid to knock that contract back...get real

Maybe not, those sorts of contracts really shouldn't be offered to young unproven players as there is a danger that they won't be able to live up to it.

The million dollar contracts should only be offered to established stars that have already proven they can produce performances worth that sort of money.

Maybe not, those sorts of contracts really shouldn't be offered to young unproven players as there is a danger that they won't be able to live up to it.

The million dollar contracts should only be offered to established stars that have already proven they can produce performances worth that sort of money.

That’s the issue I think..I think he was put in an impossible position to be honest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes captain hindsight.

what I don't get it why Autrslian football players seem to have mental issues at a much larger rate than American sports players and soccer players who are more well known and even under more scrutiny.
That is a total myth. Most people who suffer mental health issues don't want to tell the whole world about it. There would be just as many American sports players who have mental health issues but they choose to keep their issues to a small few who support them. Anyone can have mental health issues, like cancer it doesn't pick and choose who it is going to affect.

Unfortunately, Barrett is a whole different level of turd. No matter what happens, he only cares about his headline, not the players. Worst journo/person in the football business, as of now. Surpassing McGuire, Robbo, Kennett etc. is no mean feat, but he'

Yep. The guy is a real turd. Absolute disgrace of a human based upon his behaviour as a so called journo. Makes me sick to be honest.

You think? I believe it's an excellent opportunity to show these campaigners their 'stories' have consequences
Offering an unproven player with massive potential one of the biggest contracts in a sport is a way to put more media and social media scrutiny on him. Notice how you do not see the same level attached to Schache?

It would be stupid to blame the Bulldogs for his career ending earlier than it may have at GWS for that reason.

It has an air of blaming a child for the divorce between two parents that clearly have other issues.

If Tony Abbott came out and said what Gordon and Beveridge said today people would look at it differently.

The coach cried at the presser because individuals in the media questioned Boyd's form in the side???

nice one you absolute ****.

Barrett insinuating and publicising Boyd was dropped for mental health issues instead of the officially stated reason of a physical injury is "questioning form". This was after he came out with mental health issues and notwithstanding the countless other snipes by Barrett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back