Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Too much money for such a young head.
The pressure of being the millionaire messiah has obviously worn him down to the point of just needing to get out of the system.

"I like you, but I don't like your contract" probably had weighed heavily over the years...

Surely his agent must take some responsibility for packaging a deal that aimed too high and left him burdened with expectation.
That he was a Grand Final hero is something he can always cherish.

He's been in the VFL for the past 3 weeks or so. Missed all the pre-season with a back injury. I think he's no longer enjoying playing footy with his back injury and mental health issues and for those reasons decided to leave the game all together.

Regardless of what happened in the past I'll always thank Boyd for what he did for the club. He performed on the biggest stage and delivered a flag that had been so out of reach for so long. With that flag being a key contributor to wiping out our debt.

He'll always be a Dogs legend and really should have won the Norm Smith. Hopefully every Dogs supporter buys him a beer whenever they see him and tell him what a legend he is.

I understand, just with 2 and a half years left on his contract I would of thought it may be better to say, take the rest of the year off then reassess if he wants to play on in 2020...rather than giving it all away now.

Culture problem it seems. Can't be coincidence so many retired and left .

Clutching at straws?

Redpath and Smith both retired after multiple knee injuries. Biggs' passion was always cricket.

I dont get it. On the radio they're saying that its due to mental health issues. Has anxiety due to all the weight of expectation and he struggles to cope with social media bullies. How can any reasonable person believe this?

Weight of expectation? No one put a gun to his head and asked him to go to the bulldogs for 1mill a season. Having done that hes actually fulfilled the ******* expectation already by winning the dogs a damn flag!!!! Ask any dog if he was worth it? **** yes! Hes done what he was paid to do. Jesus Christ. For 99% of public out there is no more bloody expectation.

And this social media bs that all these wimps keep crying about, you have a damn choice to look or not to. Players from decades ago pre internet dealt with way worse abuse. It was in person, at the grounds and to their faces. There was no avoiding it. These days no one is allowed to say these things in public. The ones that say it online, current players can just switch off social media. Presto. ******* no issue. If you want to be on social media set it to ******* private. The problem with modern players is they want to see what everyone is saying about them. Love the ego boost. So theyll go looking, reading articles comments on everything and suddenly theyre surprised, angry and hurt to find negative stuff? Pls mate. No ******* sympathy here. Log off nitwit.

I wish he just came straight out and said. That's it, im done, achieved what i wanted. Not motivated anymore. Giving up the last years of the contract because i cannot fulfil my end. Ive made enough from the club and now im looking for new challenges. Not this mental health stuff. Because its crap.

Anyway i want to congratulate Tom on a short but pretty damn good career. You didnt let the fans down, achieved the ultimate prize and more than fulfilled any expectation. Good luck.

Mate, your understanding of mental health issues could fit on a pinhead. Kindly do some reading about what people with mental health issues go through before going on ignorant rants like the one above. Lastly, get some empathy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also. Tom, thank you. You and your team mates gave tens of thousands of people a memory they'll likely share with thousands more and we'll always love you for it. Go well, mate.

Well the general consensus here is that it was one of the best Grand Final performances ever so I guess weight of numbers is stacked against you hey?

Is that right? Lets take a look at the responses to your statement here and see if your weight of numbers do add up:
Against...
You're ten years old ?
Go and watch the 89 GF now Boyd wishes he could play even 1/100th as good as that

For... *crickets.

No one is arguing he didnt play a ripper of a game, and many believe he should have been awarded the Norm smith medal but please, one of the GFs best ever? I dont think so matey. He played a great game, took 8 marks and 3 goals as a key forward (stats arent the be all and end all I know). Consider the following:

89 GF Dunstall kicked 8 and GAblett kicked 9 goals in the losing side and won the NSM.
1980 GF Kevin Bartlett Kicked 7 goals and took 9 marks from the midfield (NSM)
1992 Peter Matera kicked 5 goals from a wing (NSM) Peter Sumich also kicked 6 in the same game.

There are many more- most would agree Shueys performance in last years GF was one of the best in the AFL era.

Your numbers dont stack up, but I guess if you have been following footy for such a short time, you could be forgiven for thinking no one before 2016 had done much.

Hang on, retire now gets delisted, the dogs all of sudden have millions in the cap to do what they want. What if he does a Mal Michael, Mummy, or J Marsh and comes back next year. If the dogs are allowed to spend like drunken sailors is criminal. Boyd's money should be factored into their salary cap for the duration of what his contract should of been or neutralized if he comes back in the foreseeable future. Somehow this is not a open and shut case, the usual suspects will be looking on with interest.

I understand, just with 2 and a half years left on his contract I would of thought it may be better to say, take the rest of the year off then reassess if he wants to play on in 2020...rather than giving it all away now.
He's already stepped away from the game once. I just think he's done with the game and doesn't enjoy playing it any more. But can see the merit in your suggestion as well.

I don't really think there's a wrong answer to the way he's handled this situation.

Hang on, retire now gets delisted, the dogs all of sudden have millions in the cap to do what they want. What if he does a Mal Michael, Mummy, or J Marsh and comes back next year. If the dogs are allowed to spend like drunken sailors is criminal. Boyd's money should be factored into their salary cap for the duration of what his contract should of been or neutralized if he comes back in the foreseeable future. Somehow this is not a open and shut case, the usual suspects will be looking on with interest.
You realise a contract is able to be torn up if both parties agree to terms right? What part of that confuses you?

I dont get it. On the radio they're saying that its due to mental health issues. Has anxiety due to all the weight of expectation and he struggles to cope with social media bullies. How can any reasonable person believe this?

Weight of expectation? No one put a gun to his head and asked him to go to the bulldogs for 1mill a season. Having done that hes actually fulfilled the ******* expectation already by winning the dogs a damn flag!!!! Ask any dog if he was worth it? **** yes! Hes done what he was paid to do. Jesus Christ. For 99% of public out there is no more bloody expectation.

And this social media bs that all these wimps keep crying about, you have a damn choice to look or not to. Players from decades ago pre internet dealt with way worse abuse. It was in person, at the grounds and to their faces. There was no avoiding it. These days no one is allowed to say these things in public. The ones that say it online, current players can just switch off social media. Presto. ******* no issue. If you want to be on social media set it to ******* private. The problem with modern players is they want to see what everyone is saying about them. Love the ego boost. So theyll go looking, reading articles comments on everything and suddenly theyre surprised, angry and hurt to find negative stuff? Pls mate. No ******* sympathy here. Log off nitwit.

I wish he just came straight out and said. That's it, im done, achieved what i wanted. Not motivated anymore. Giving up the last years of the contract because i cannot fulfil my end. Ive made enough from the club and now im looking for new challenges. Not this mental health stuff. Because its crap.

Anyway i want to congratulate Tom on a short but pretty damn good career. You didnt let the fans down, achieved the ultimate prize and more than fulfilled any expectation. Good luck.

You don't get mental health issues. To a normal person, yes, we could ignore all the bs with social media etc, and most players can do this. But if you have a mental health condition, you can't help it. It's like trying to ignore cancer as it destroys your body. I haven't had serious mental health, but I have had brushes with it. When I had anxiety, hell, rugs rats on nickelodeon could give me anxiety. The point is, it's nothing to do with reality.

Those final two years of his contract should count against the Bulldogs. They used that length of tenure to rip him out of a club early, they should now have to wear the consequences.

This should serve as a warning for clubs that want to dangle these uncommercial godfather style deals. They got a flag so it’s been a good investment but they should not get any relief because it’s ended early.

Pretty sure Swans had to pay Tippett against the cap beyond retirement.

Is that right? Lets take a look at the responses to your statement here and see if your weight of numbers do add up:
Against...

For... *crickets.

No one is arguing he didnt play a ripper of a game, and many believe he should have been awarded the Norm smith medal but please, one of the GFs best ever? I dont think so matey. He played a great game, took 8 marks and 3 goals as a key forward (stats arent the be all and end all I know). Consider the following:

89 GF Dunstall kicked 8 and GAblett kicked 9 goals in the losing side and won the NSM.
1980 GF Kevin Bartlett Kicked 7 goals and took 9 marks from the midfield (NSM)
1992 Peter Matera kicked 5 goals from a wing (NSM) Peter Sumich also kicked 6 in the same game.

There are many more- most would agree Shueys performance in last years GF was one of the best in the AFL era.

Your numbers dont stack up, but I guess if you have been following footy for such a short time, you could be forgiven for thinking no one before 2016 had done much.

Can you just not? No one really cares about this right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back