Tom Boyd retires

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
People suggesting Tom Boyd only ever played one good game seem to forget the performance he had in the 2016 preliminary final. He was huge in that game too and the Bulldogs would have been beaten by the Giants if not for him.

He played one ripper game with GWS - was it against Hawthorn IIRC? Played a few other good ones and was (health issues aside) a very promising player.
People forget the GWS prelim because they are obsessed with stats and what he did in that game doesn't show much on the stat-o-meter. You are right they probably would have lost had he not negated Mumford who could have torn them apart.

kendrick

All Australian
Sep 20, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fitzroy..never forgotten!
Hawthorn has found their midseason pick..

I hope sportsbet opens up a market that he returns to football before he is 25 with an Afl club.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What a lot of rubbish, he was a contracted player who has not fulfilled the length of his contract. That ridiculous uncommercial deal was used to prize him out of a fledgling club. The discussions on that deal were going on for months before that trade period. They got their man, he got them a flag but now he’s gone. Tough t***ies, pay the price.
Every other club who operates under the same salary cap. This was the most talked about contract in years. A kid who had played 1 season being offered a million bucks a year and demanding a trade mid contract. You make a dud investment, you have to cop the loss.

What the hell are you peanuts smoking up there?

We gave up our captain and a first round pick to get him. How else do you think this worked out?

We’d love to have 2016 finals Boyd right now and we’ve been paying the price for more than 2 seasons effectively for not having him in the line-up consistently.

This has mutually ended and we’ve already “paid the price.”

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
GWS dodged a massive bullet.

Why? Maybe it was the size and length of the contract and the expectations that, that brought with it, that triggered everything. Who knows? Maybe nothing to do with footy at all.

As a Geelong supporter with a soft spot for the Dogs, I was 48 in 2016. Up until then, I had never seen them even play in the gf let alone win one. He was a massive part of that finals campaign, I don't think they get there and win it without him.

Ask a Dog's fan if they are happy with his output for his time with them.

He may not have been a star player, but he was a premiership star in every sense for me.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
So if Toby Greene wanted to walk away from the Giants you'd be happy to keep him on the books until 2024?

I would not be over the moon but it’s happened before and is part of the risk.

Make no mistake the reason Tom Boyd demanded the release from his contract was because of the magnitude of the deal. Even if the Dogs has that against their cap for the next two years it would still be a magnificent deal for them. He has paid his way 10 times over with that gf performance but the AFL do need to be strong and consistent. A settlement has taken place, he hasn’t gone for nothing.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
We're desperate for KPPs and there was a rumour we're chasing a Carlton tall: We have cap space (even more now) and first rounders to put on the table (we will certainly trade out our 2020 first rounder as we have two NGA kids and a FS to take).
Liam Jones?

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
Yep that is a testament to his character to leave $2+ million behind.
I don't get this sentiment - he's decided he doesn't want to play - why should the bulldogs pay him?

He's not sacrificing $2 million.

He doesn't play, bulldogs don't pay. It's a fair deal - it's nothing more than that. It doesn't make him a great bloke (not saying he isn't).

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Can somebody quote me the rule where it says FA contracts cant be torn up yet trade contracts can? If Pickering is the only quote going around I think I'll wait for official comment from HQ. Expect Caro tee off on this one, IIRC she called it the worst trade in history at the time.

Its not about him, its about every other club managing the same salary cap.
The same rules apply to every club for players they either traded in or drafted.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't get this sentiment - he's decided he doesn't want to play - why should the bulldogs pay him?

He's not sacrificing $2 million.

He doesn't play, bulldogs don't pay. It's a fair deal - it's nothing more than that. It doesn't make him a great bloke (not saying he isn't).

He could have sat in the VFL for 2 years and collected most of it.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Nice to see it only took 6 pages to see how a young man retiring through mental health is seen as an advantage to a club as opposed to showing common human courtesy to a fellow human being.

Nice..

Can’t be both?

I’m sure the Bulldogs are sympathetic towards him - especially as without him they wouldn’t haven’t won the flag in 2016, but having him retire does open up a huge chunk of salary space and Naughton’s quick rise and reinvention as a forward has effectively made him redundant anyway.

Tippett probably didn't come to terms with Sydney in the way that Boyd has obviously come to terms with the Dogs?
Tippett was a PSD pick but as far as contracts go, both the player and the club need to come to an agreement for termination.

I believe Joel Patfull was rookied for a year at the Giants so they could fulfil their contract terms as well.

AFL player contracts are always having their terms changed based on clubs finding advantages.

Ball cleverly put a $500k price tag on his head when he went into the draft so only Collingwood could draft him, then went to base salary the following season before the AFL closed that loophole as well.

MOVEMENT_MAN

Debutant
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Who is "here"? Are YOU the general consensus? The Bulldogs board? BigFooty? He had a good game, but three goals and 14 disposals isn't up there with the great GF performances.

I think you and a few others can't understand that in today's footy 3 goals is not far off 10 goals, not to mention that Boyd's contested marks turned the game on its head when it was there to be won, everyone is entitled to their opinion but unfortunately for you yours is wrong.

Tippett probably didn't come to terms with Sydney in the way that Boyd has obviously come to terms with the Dogs?

True

Tippett wouldn’t accept less apparently wasn’t happy with everything in the end

Back