Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahndozer

Team Captain
May 4, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sad in a way but he's also 23 years old, has played sport at the elite level, was arguably BOG in an AFL Grand Final that his team won and has already pocketed $1m if not two or three times that amount. So when you put that into perspective life's not all bad. At 23 I think I had a 3 figure bank balance and an U/14s basketball premiership to my name. So, yeah. In 5, 10 years time when we're looking back at the great GFs of the 2010s and talking about Dom Sheed's goal from the pocket, Goddard's mark etc. Boyd will be right up there.

I just hope we don't get the predictable 'Tom Boyd has been playing with Box Hill/Northern Blues/etc. and feels ready for another go at AFL level' this time next year. Doesn't come across nearly as snakey in character as Mitch Clark, though.

I don't get this line of thinking that has popped up in this thread. Why on earth would he walk away from an extraordinarily healthy contract (and remain in the AFL system) if he has his eye on returning to play for another club for far less coin?

Those Western Bulldogs fans in Reykjavik, Milwaukee, Ghent, and Spain will certainly be pondering today.
Off the top of my head, there are expat fans in Florida, China, Mongolia, Vietnam, and Poland.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So clubs can now throw massive $$$ to get a player to them and then mid contract tear it up and use the money elsewhere. I thought new rules were bought in after the Buddy deal to stop this stuff. And then you add in backloaded contracts and so on. There is now way this should be allowed.
No they can’t. If anyone of the the two parties wants to hold them to their contract they must oblige. But this is way different to Tippett, both parties have mutually agreed to part ways. Everything this year is in the cap. Then that is all. It actually has nothing to do with salary cap or even the AFL from then on.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lol at the sourpusses who bemoan the fact it doesn’t count against the cap.

The reason it counts for free agents is the bidding factor - if you could negotiate later to drop the salary you’d have Buddy deals every year which would be miraculously renegotiated a few years in.

Thems the breaks.

I think you and a few others can't understand that in today's footy 3 goals is not far off 10 goals, not to mention that Boyd's contested marks turned the game on its head when it was there to be won, everyone is entitled to their opinion but unfortunately for you yours is wrong.

Using your logic De Goey and Josh Kennedy had one of the great Grand Final performances of all time last year. Jack Gunston in 2015 as well. And man oh man Travis Cloke in 2011. According to you, those performances are the some of the greatest of all time.

He’s lucky there was some ******** umpiring in the prelim and grand final as otherwise it’s one of the worst deals ever

All the best to him but let’s not pretend it was a great signing

Worst deal, really? Buddy went to Sydney, the competition expected Swans would clean up the next five premierships. So far nada, nothing, a Grand Final appearance loss, and a team currently struggling to win games. However the cash registers have been busy chalking up a nice profit and until recently the crowds have been big.

Danger went to Geelong to win flags, so far not even a GF appearance, but the publicity Geelong get through Danger wouldn’t have them too worried.

Tom Boyd goes to the Bulldogs after we lost our best young player to GWS, for one round 1 draft pick (Melbourne got two for Scully), our captain, our shite coach and our pride. Tom Boyd played a key role in winning our second Premiership. Pride restored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So clubs can now throw massive $$$ to get a player to them and then mid contract tear it up and use the money elsewhere. I thought new rules were bought in after the Buddy deal to stop this stuff. And then you add in backloaded contracts and so on. There is now way this should be allowed.

So players will swap teams for $$$$ and then retire, giving up $$$$ for the benefit of the club ? And you’re worried this will become the norm ?

You’re a special type of person, Orange

Think people forget he had a great finals series in 2016. Wasn’t surprising when he tore the GF wide open

Bulldogs mate said afterwards if he never does another thing they got their money’s worth

Your mate speaks for almost every Dogs supporter (with one or two weirdo exceptions).

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Off the top of my head, there are expat fans in Florida, China, Mongolia, Vietnam, and Poland.
There's a tiny portion of supporters for even the Gold Coast Suns and GWS who live in an Antarctic station or Arkansas. It's just a weird thing to say. It's not like Man United with a bunch of Koreans or rich little fat Saudi kids watching every game or the LA Lakers. They're just Aussies lucky enough to get out and live somewhere else.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Not the time, and not the place. If you want to talk up West Coasts premiership do it on your own board.
Discussing the merits of Boyds GF heroics im a thread about Tom Boyd is the definition of the right time and place. I named.3.of the most dominant GF performances in my life time as examples of better ones. One of them just happened to be a WC player and most pundits would have these 3 in their top 10 if not top 5. I then gave an example of a more contemporary one- widely regarded as among the best performamce in recent times. It happened tp be WC but that wasnt the point.
Fair dinkum some of you blokes are carrying on like this is an obituary.
Its the best for both parties Tom has done what he wants, the dogs get a slush fund to buy in top end talent from a guy who was never going to get back to his 2016 purple patch.
Its a win win and hopefully Tom finds some of the peace he is obvioisly seeking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back