Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

No he wont. Was ordinary most of the season and just had some good games at the end of the season.

One of the worst trades ever done. Dogs might have multiple flags if they used that money on someone else and traded griffen for picks instead.
Damn, that has to be the most pathetic attempt at trolling yet. I could even hear your beavis and butthead laugh after reading it.

I would not be over the moon but it’s happened before and is part of the risk.

Make no mistake the reason Tom Boyd demanded the release from his contract was because of the magnitude of the deal. Even if the Dogs has that against their cap for the next two years it would still be a magnificent deal for them. He has paid his way 10 times over with that gf performance but the AFL do need to be strong and consistent. A settlement has taken place, he hasn’t gone for nothing.
The 'risk' when signing a long term deal is that the player continues to collect their paycheck whilst not delivering.

In Boyd's case, he was selfless enough to agree to stop collecting that paycheck and walk away rather then hold the Dogs to his salary. He didn't have to do that but because he did, advantage Bulldogs (except for the fact we prematurely lose a premiership hero). His salary is entirely irrelevant to the trade which the Giants agreed to.

As for the supposed settlement, prove it.

It's hard to believe a 23 year old who has already been paid 5 million wouldnt keep doing something that he gets no enjoyment out of resulting in serious effects on both his physical and mental health for a few easy bucks?

It’s a nonsense.

Supposed to keep doing something that makes you absolutely miserable....but hey you earn $2 million a year...just use that money to get treatment for your mental health.

Makes sense to me.

What a load of rubbish. He isn’t going to beat the depression if one of the driving factors in it is the footy is he.

I just hope Tom finds something that makes him happy. Money is irrelevant.

We got a Brownlow winner for picks 9 and 26. Nobody is going to knock that back.

I think that the difference between the Danger trade and the Franklin trade is that we still had salary cap space (and the right to keep trading) after the deal was done, and also that we have finally managed to solve the team structure issues that came with the deal.

Franklin, effectively, cost the Swans Malceski and Mumford, due to the salary cap squeeze. I'm not sure whether the subsequent loss of Mitchell could have been related? What seems more evident, though, is that since Tippett left, no other forward seems to have thrived at Sydney apart from Franklin. That could be a talent issue, but it seems that Sydney haven't quite worked out how to integrate the rest of their forward line system with Buddy.
The difference between Danger and Buddy deals were that the crows got pick 9 and 28 in return whereas the Hawks got pick 19.

Unfair. He played 1 good game in his career, and it just happened to be a in a game in a bizarre set of circumstances where the his 7th finishing H&A team managed to make the Grand Final.

If he'd been traded to any other club at any other time, it'd have been a disaster. Good on the Bulldogs for getting lucky, but GWS definitely dodged a bullet by not trying to keep him.
Strong strong *, he was a top 5 performer in our 2016 finals campaign.

Service in the first two, top 5 for the dogs in the prelim and BOG in the GF. Don't comment on games you clearly don't watch.

Strong strong ******, he was a top 5 performer in our 2016 finals campaign.

Service in the first two, top 5 for the dogs in the prelim and BOG in the GF. Don't comment on games you clearly don't watch.

Incorrect, I watched them all.

I find it hard to believe everyone is just taking this on face value. As if he walked away from 2 million dollars without some pushing or prodding from the club. That's a lot of money to pay someone who can't get on the field.

Why do so many players struggle with their mental health? Do players use mental health to escape criticism for other possible activities they may be involved in? These are genuine questions that should be asked.

Yeah Boyd has just pulled the trigger and walked away from the game and a s**t ton of guaranteed cash at the age of 23. None of this ‘indefinite leave’ leave stuff.

Definitely blokes playing up and then taking the piss and using mental health to try and shield themselves from the media (looking at you Garry Lyon), but would suggest Boyd isn’t one of them.

Last edited:
I don't get this sentiment - he's decided he doesn't want to play - why should the bulldogs pay him?

He's not sacrificing $2 million.

He doesn't play, bulldogs don't pay. It's a fair deal - it's nothing more than that. It doesn't make him a great bloke (not saying he isn't).

That's not quite true

He only needs to meet his contract requirements to be paid.

He could quite easily have taken a year off personal leave to deal with his health issues and still be paid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done, he goes out a premiership player who performed at an “A” grade level on that day.

Just lost the passion for the game, and was honest enough to stand up and admit it. Being in the elite programmes from early teens, allows these kids little freedom to have fun and play with their school mates. Tied into one sport.

May have fun playing amateur or country footy.

Strong strong ******, he was a top 5 performer in our 2016 finals campaign.

Yep , was huge in the second half of the Prelim , HUGE ! and that GF , BOG IMO .
He is a really good lad , well rounded , smart and genuine ... wish him all the best in life away from footy .

Can somebody quote me the rule where it says FA contracts cant be torn up yet trade contracts can? If Pickering is the only quote going around I think I'll wait for official comment from HQ. Expect Caro tee off on this one, IIRC she called it the worst trade in history at the time.
All contracts can be torn up with mutual agreement from the parties involved.

The only difference is with restricted free agents the original contract amount must be included in the salary cap, regardless of whether it is actually paid to the player. This is to protect the integrity of the rules allowing the original club to match RFA offers and keep the player.

Lol at the sourpusses who bemoan the fact it doesn’t count against the cap.

The reason it counts for free agents is the bidding factor - if you could negotiate later to drop the salary you’d have Buddy deals every year which would be miraculously renegotiated a few years in.

Thems the breaks.
Lol, all the sourpusses seem to be from GWS

Always felt he was pretty harshly treated for doing what 99.9% of people would have also done, and good on him for doing what is best for him and not hanging on just for the money.

23 is still so young too, especially for a big guy, who's knows, maybe we'll see him again, on a rookie list somewhere down the track.

Does that mean dogs have a war chest to throw around or do they operate as if they're still paying him?
They’ve agreed to a mutual decision for this year, but unsure what that is, but next year and the year after they won’t be paying him. So they’ll essentially have 2 million to use over the next 2 years.

I’d say they’d be hugely active in the off season. They seem to have improved a bit this year, so if they finish strong and make the 8 then it becomes a much more interesting proposition for a trade target. I.e coniglio.

This thread was set up to acknowledge a premiership player who is retiring at the age of 23, 23 let that sink in for a minute. A member of a young, rag tag team who did the impossible three years ago and won all four finals as the rank outsider. You crash in and start talking about whose grand final game was better.

Tom Boyd has listened to shite like this all his playing career, he has had trolls on social media telling him he is/was a dud, didn’t deserve the money he was on, focused relentlessly on every mistake he ever made, commentators, fans opposition every ******* day. Please don’t make this another thread like this. He is gone, this will bet he last thread about him, Shuey is still playing, so just just ease up, please.
Go back and read from the start mate. One of you blokes made a huge claim disputed by few and then proceeded to tell us everyone agreed with him.
Go back and find anything I have said that dengrates Tom. You will find I have given him a wrap multiple times but disagreed he was the greatest of all time as per the original comment.
Let this sink in- he is 23, has played 5 years at the top level, has a premiership medalion and has earnt probably 2 to 3 million dollars doing it. It is hardly a bloody travesty. Sure he was a talent amd a nice bloke but there have sure as hell been many worse stories out there. He has achieved in a short career more than most players could dream so dont come at me with the Oedipos rubbish mate.

The victim mentality is still strong amongst some of you I see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back