Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
thanks tom for the 2016 flag
never forget that performance
476066-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Provided the best moment for me following the Dogs so will always be grateful to him for that.

Apart from that, he seems like a legitimately nice guy and I feel sad to think about what he must be going through now and over the past 5 years as he's struggled with his mental health.

Wish him the absolute best and hope he can get his mind right. He's a smart guy so I have no doubts that will live a successful life in whatever path he chooses, I just hope that he can find the path that will bring him happiness.

dogzrule

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2010
nfa
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks for the premiership Tom

Not surprised this has happened this year but gives an opportunity for both Tom and Club to move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roscoe_au

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good on you Tom.

Until 5.17 to go in the Grand Final I never thought that I would see a Flag in my lifetime and I can say that because of him, I did.

I hope he can get his health right and that the Club continues to support him with the resources he needs to get back to 100%

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
What this kid did for us back in September/October 2016 is something this 55 year old Bulldog tragic will never forget or thought he’d ever see to be honest. So glad he got to show the footballing world how good he could be on the field and how classy and courageous he is off it.... Go well Tom

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That is a very "Blade Runner" type of quote, I have the director's cut great film.
I actually got it from Bal Sagoth - Naked Steel (the warrior's Saga)
The shaman's decree:
This heart that pounds like a hammer,
This heart that pounds so strong,
This heart that pumps a great warrior's blood,
This heart will pound for half as long.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Shocked and sad.

It’s a bit of a what could’ve been. Was hoping that finals form was the beginning of his football ascent rather than his peak. He’s personal and mental health are paramount to what happens in football and I wish him the best going forward. We’ll always have 2016 and he’ll always be my Norm Smith.

Really sad to read this news but his goal in the grand final after Dale Morris's tackle on Buddy will stay in my memory.
More than that. I think the Moz tackle & Boyd goal will stay more broadly in footy folklore, a bit like Wayne Harmes desperately swatting the ball in from the boundary line at full slide to help score a goal late in the 79 GF.

As D-r-B said there's some relief on hearing this - we all knew things weren't right with Tom and there were rumours on and off about some of our players giving him a hard time too. To stay on might well have ended up being an ongoing soap opera with Tom becoming an easy target for the gutter journos. They can go and snipe somewhere else now.

Go in peace young man. Look after yourself.
Forget the unhappy things that may have happened and focus on the good. You've helped make a lot of old buggers happy.
Remember that whatever happens over the coming years you're already one of the immortals.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I predicted this.
Yes I also stated it somewhere on here earlier this year. Saddest day in a while for me as a Doggie fan. I’m 43, and remember how happy I was when we recruited him. I must’ve had a feeling he will bring something big....And that he did, the 2016 premiership. I’ll always remember him as one of the Bulldog greats up there with Granty, Hawkins, Johnno etc. for those 2 big finals! Thank you Tom, you made my life as a Doggie fan fulfilled the day you pulled on the boots 1 October, 2016

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sucks that his injury has caused him to have to pull the pin so early. I hope if things ever do get better for him down the road he pulls a Shane Mumford (minus the drugs) and puts on the boots again.

Will miss him a lot.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A shame that it ended the way it has, had a high ceiling, ability, presence. But would I, or Tom trade that for what was achieved in his time at the club? No chance.

All the best, our premiership hero Tom Boyd

Shocked, saddened, but we'll always have this.

Add to that a near BOG in a Premiership.

All the best Tommy.

Bring on the draft and trade later this year.

We got some serious cap space.

Love such big moments like that that have so many fine details that could have meant it worked out differently.

Moz spoils Buddy, Libba beelines towards Kennedy which meant he had to get rid of it quickly, Buddy thinks he’s clear but Moz tears him down like he was half the age. Then a 2m bloke gathers first time below knee height, launches from 60m...the ball bounces up, almost agonisingly short of the goal line before the defender gets back, then the crowd erupts. *, I can’t beleive that!

Taken from Woof but i wonder if Leigh Matthews will take any heat for his comments

Doubt it, geriatric fool would've forgotten what he said anyway. I also doubt anyone will get stuck into Barrett either, media tend to look after each other.

Back