Lukes_Beverage

Debutant
Jun 24, 2007
Altona
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Unfortunately mental illness had got the better of him. I was hoping he would start to enjoy his footy again, but not to be.
The premiership 3 years ago is something I will never forget.

Thanks for the memories Big Tom and I hope you get better. You are a premiership hero and all Doggie fans should give you the send off you deserve.

Tom’s final parting gift to the Bulldogs is to upset Sydney supporters because we don’t have to pay him out, unlike Buddy and Tippet, and GWS supporters because he was all class and tore up his contract.

ThirdLegUp

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom’s final parting gift to the Bulldogs is to upset Sydney supporters because we don’t have to pay him out, unlike Buddy and Tippet, and GWS supporters because he was all class and tore up his contract.
Its *en beautiful hahah. GWS dregs are burning inside. Not only did he screw them in the prelim, but won us the cup a week later, they got nothing but a broken griffin and now Boyd didn't even cost as much as he was supposed to. they literally have nothing left to pick at. Losers in ever sense of the word.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Taken from Woof but i wonder if Leigh Matthews will take any heat for his comments

Matthews and Barrett deserve to be smashed publicly. Bombard them on Twitter, Radio any method possible.

Matthews is a s*** stain while Barrett and his relentless hounding of Boyd no doubt contributed to his decision today.

How could I ever thank him enough for helping to make that special day the happiest in my life.

v5a3pc.jpg

Guido

Premium Gold
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leros United
Taken from Woof but i wonder if Leigh Matthews will take any heat for his comments
I'm not here to defend Matthews, but I think the comments were from a perspective of not wanting contacts like this to become the norm, and I reckon he would have still made the same comments had any relatively unproven - at the top level - 1st year player got offered $7mil/7 years by any club (cue victimhood type "no, it's an agenda, the media only target poor little us" comments).

If there's a lesson here, it's that the pressure of making an unproven 19 year one of the highest paid players in the game, and subjecting them to that level of media scrutiny (you may not agree it or hope it doesn't happen, but you know for a fact it will happen, you can't plead ignorance on that front), can cause mental issues for kids that aren't prepared for the criticisms, trolls and backlash that may come with such a high profile multi million dollar contract.

Getting that massive pay day contact has typically arrived at 23-24-25-26 for the AFL's stars, and one's mental development, maturity and ability to cope at 24-25 can be an absolute world away from the same person at 19.

It was unchartered territory, and there's lessons for everyone to take from it.

Thank you and all the best for the future Tom.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I actually got it from Bal Sagoth - Naked Steel (the warrior's Saga)
The shaman's decree:
This heart that pounds like a hammer,
This heart that pounds so strong,
This heart that pumps a great warrior's blood,
This heart will pound for half as long.
I've never seen Bal Sagoth - Naked Steel (The warrior's saga), but it sounds like something I would like.
Can't have too much slashing and sword play and mindless violence, underrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogforever

Senior List
Oct 26, 2018
Lorne Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Tom Boyd was always was always going to be a player of divided loyalty to Bulldog supporters. He was paid a lot of money, he played a magnificent 2016 final series and played a major role in our second premiership. To me this more than any other Bulldog decision is cost effective (a rarity).
I wish him well and hope his health issues are decreased in his retirement.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Its ****en beautiful hahah. GWS dregs are burning inside. Not only did he screw them in the prelim, but won us the cup a week later, they got nothing but a broken griffin and now Boyd didn't even cost as much as he was supposed to. they literally have nothing left to pick at. Losers in ever sense of the word.

This is just the icing on the cake, isn't it?! If the cap space allows us to poach another of their young players, whilst shoring up guys like Bont and Naughts, my enjoyment will be taken to a new level. The only thing that will surpass it is the inevitable admission in coming years that the soul-less franchise has run its course.

I can see Leon Cameron at training tonight, yelling over the gnashing of their supporter:
"Bokky, Bokky, we can't think..."

Good times, hey.

And best of luck young Tom, get yourself right. You've given this old fart one of the best days of his life, now move on and enjoy your life. That damn sand seems to be back in my eyes too...

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is just the icing on the cake, isn't it?! If the cap space allows us to poach another of their young players, whilst shoring up guys like Bont and Naughts, my enjoyment will be taken to a new level. The only thing that will surpass it is the inevitable admission in coming years that the soul-less franchise has run its course.

I can see Leon Cameron at training tonight, yelling over the gnashing of their supporter:
"Bokky, Bokky, we can't think..."

Good times, hey.

And best of luck young Tom, get yourself right. You've given this old fart one of the best days of his life, now move on and enjoy your life. That damn sand seems to be back in my eyes too...
Imagine if we took Kelly even after he-signed
images (10).jpeg

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Very shocked to hear this news but I don’t think he has enjoyed his footy for a long time and it’s better for him to release the pressure and be able to get on with getting healthy and finding whatever else in life is his passion and will bring him happiness.

Thanks Tom for all the happiness you brought to the many Bulldogs supporters. You go out a Premiership Champion who stood up on the biggest stage when it mattered the most, both in the Prelim in Sydney where you were outstanding, and then in the Grand Final where you were literally one straight kick off winning a Norm Smith in my view.

Thanks for the memories, particularly in 2016. You’ll never be forgotten and are welcome back at the Whitten Oval anytime.

Tom Boyd was always was always going to be a player of divided loyalty to Bulldog supporters. He was paid a lot of money, he played a magnificent 2016 final series and played a major role in our second premiership. To me this more than any other Bulldog decision is cost effective (a rarity).
I wish him well and hope his health issues are decreased in his retirement.

No divided loyalties for the great man in my house. We love all he has done for us!!

I wish him all the best in his next stage of life as the front man for a faith no more cover band.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back