Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Matthews and Barrett deserve to be smashed publicly. Bombard them on Twitter, Radio any method possible.

Matthews is a s*** stain while Barrett and his relentless hounding of Boyd no doubt contributed to his decision today.

People should call this for what it’s been, a disgraceful hounding of a young man out of the game at 23yo by the AFL media. The relentless petty focus on conflating his contract terms with pace of development was both illogical and pathetic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

People should call this for what it’s been, a disgraceful hounding of a young man out of the game at 23yo by the AFL media. The relentless petty focus on conflating his contract terms with pace of development was both illogical and pathetic.

You just know that the likes of Barrett and co will talk about how unfortunate Boyd's early retirement is whilst not acknowledging their own relentless contribution to his demise.

Both Barrett and Matthews should feel some guilt tonight because the vilification of this talented young man was perpetuated by their woeful comments.
Additionally, I also suspect there were two recently departed "bully boy" Bulldogs players who also had an impact to his mental health situation situation.

I guess the truth of this will eventually be revealed now that Tom is no longer at the club. (Congrats to the club for keeping it in-house)

What a sad day. He was a talented bloke who brought great reward to our supporters ..... but he should never have been so publicly vilified by media commentators or on social media for being the recipient of large contract from the club.

Well done Tom ...... but what a pity we wont see you in red, white & blue through the prime of your playing life.

Sorry if this has been discussed but does anyone know conclusively whether or not Tom's salary still counts towards our cap (even though he won't be receiving payments)?

I heard Floggo Barret saying on the radio that he thinks Boyd's salary will still be counted in our cap. Said the Buddy deal is the precedent. Anyone know what he's talking about here?
That right there shows how little Barrett knows about the game he is employed to report on.

Boyd was traded, buddy was a rfa so the rules are different.

My god that man is a tool.

Both Barrett and Matthews should feel some guilt tonight because the vilification of this talented young man was perpetuated by their woeful comments.
Additionally, I also suspect there were two recently departed "bully boy" Bulldogs players who also had an impact to his mental health situation situation.

I guess the truth of this will eventually be revealed now that Tom is no longer at the club. (Congrats to the club for keeping it in-house)
i met a bloke in a bar in Hoi An recently who is a life long bulldogs supporter. He told me as fact that a recently departed bulldog once left yesterdays 3 meals in Boyds locker parcelled in a paper bag.

Collingwood dodged a bullet there i think.

You just know that the likes of Barrett and co will talk about how unfortunate Boyd's early retirement is whilst not acknowledging their own relentless contribution to his demise.

I'll throw up if Barrett says a word about it.

Anyway, forget that p****, today is about the great Tommy Boyd and the eternal joy he has brought all of us.

In retrospect it seems that discussions about Boyds playing future may have been conducted sometime ago and in the end both parties decided to give it one last go without any pressure or any talk of an return to the senior side. In the end both sides lived up to their end of the bargain until Tom decided his heart just wasn't in it anymore. That he clearly understood that it wouldn't be in his best interest to continue to see out his contract no matter how lucrative and decided to do what was best for him and the club speaks volumes to his character and the dignity in which he has always carried himself with. He will go down in history as one of the games great enigmas.

Last edited:
i met a bloke in a bar in Hoi An recently who is a life long bulldogs supporter. He told me as fact that a recently departed bulldog once left yesterdays 3 meals in Boyds locker parcelled in a paper bag.

Karma bus rolled right over the person in question. Guy was behaving like a child, not a professional footballer, not to mention a father etc. Thank God Boyd stood up on GF day when it counted, unlike the other guy.

Surely no teammate could like a teammate like that?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard something pretty similar to that too. I didn’t even do anything like that when I was a kid, let alone an adult

I heard something pretty similar to that too. I didn’t even do anything like that when I was a kid, let alone an adult

If that's true of that ex-Dog, that's genuine campaigner behaviour and I'm glad we're rid of the campaigner.

Campaigner in every sense of the word.

I thought his solo rucking performance against Mumford after Roughy got the King Harold treatment was as great as his GF. He pushed himself to the limit that day.

And those were the only two great games he played for us. There were a few good ones , and a lot of average ones, if I’m being kind . Watching him fumble around in the VFL made me squirm in my seat, he looked all at sea.

Very strange career as Scrag says but not every great junior is cut out for AFL. He’s a charming and intelligent bloke by all accounts, there’s a lot of dickheads in and around professional sport . If you don’t join the larrikin boys club it could be a lonely place.

Not with you on this. Players can tune out to the media. They can't tune out to team mates making life at the club unbearable.

Im okay with people potting the media commentary on Tom but lets face facts. He had some horrible humans as team mates and he walked in with a 7mil target on his head.

And he was only 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back