Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Stringer, apparently. Hope its not true but has been spoken about numerous times - part of the reason we shipped him off to * so cheaply I guess.

****en rat!

Now I despise the prick even more.

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Being 23 years of age, I can just see him returning to footy at some level and potentially having another crack at afl down the track. Can just see it

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I always had a soft spot for Tom and this is one of the saddest days i've had as a Bulldogs supporter.

No doubt this is the best decision for his future but the question that needs an answer is "how does a 23 year old get to this breaking point in the first place?"

The one thing I know is no one will learn from this...

The media will jump all over the next Tom Boyd and that clubs supporters will be savage as always.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I saw Tom Boyd at a cafe in Footscray. I asked him for a pickie and he obliged. He looked good at the time (5 weeks ago or so) and he told me he was coming to play the week after. I told him the the following: 'you don't know how happy you made us, mate'. He smiled at me. He looked happy at the time, hence my surprise at the news. Feel really sad for him and the club. Hope he overcomes everything in front of him. He will forever be a BULLDOG HERO! Thank you from my heart for those three goals, your leadership in sport and mental health issues. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I will never forget that October day and the hand you played in the finals. A true champion of the game. So many would love to have achieved what you have in such a short time. You knew how to take your chances and you did. Thank you for the memories, and I hope that you can return in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I don’t think it was only Stringer either. Apparently we are playing against the other offender on Saturday.

Of course said player would never engage in any **** bloke behaviour now he's 'home'.

I've never wanted to crush a team of campaigners as much as I do this week.

Hopefully, Tommy can find happiness in wherever life takes him next.

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone know if this is true. Got it from the main board.

Tom Boyd - forever closely linked to
@westernbulldogs
royalty For

1f436.svg

TB played 52 games & kicked 42 goals. EJ Whitten also had 42 goals after 52 games. Career W-L for TB (61 games) 32-29. EJ’s W-L after 61 games = 32-29. 22/8/1995

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Anyone know if this is true. Got it from the main board.

TB played 52 games & kicked 42 goals. EJ Whitten also had 42 goals after 52 games. Career W-L for TB (61 games) 32-29. EJ’s W-L after 61 games = 32-29. 22/8/1995
Just saw those stats not long ago on the dogs FB page.

Maybe EJ sent us the big fella to get that elusive flag? TB born the same day EJ was laid to rest. Pretty spooky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Very sad to hear of Tom's retirement today.
I was sincerely hoping that he could conquer his injuries and mental health issues and have a long football career.

As well as wishing him best for the future, I hope he realises the enormous amount of good will and affection that exists for him, not just at the Western Bulldogs but the wider AFL supporter community.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Do we really need to bring ex players into this appreciation thread?

Forget which thread it was, but somebody said his living in Europe next year. His mother has a Danish passport

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Arkangel

All Australian
Jun 8, 2007
Internet City
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
there must always be an oyd at WO.

Otherwise, as the Vikings would have said, we’ll be án-oyd.

(Note to future self: If I ever become a comedian, I should keep in mind that puns which rely on the knowledge that the Old Norse word for “without” is “án” appeal to a very limited audience.)

Otherwise, as the Vikings would have said, we’ll be án-oyd.

(Note to future self: If I ever become a comedian, I should keep in mind that puns which rely on the knowledge that the Old Norse word for “without” is “án” appeal to a very limited audience.)
Yep, don't give up your day job. I'd hate to see you end up unemployd.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Being 23 years of age, I can just see him returning to footy at some level and potentially having another crack at afl down the track. Can just see it
Hope he does get his body right and has another crack at it. A bit of time out of the AFL spotlight and a bit of clear air and who knows, might be able to make a comeback.
Would like to see that even if he ended up playing elsewhere.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hope he does get his body right and has another crack at it. A bit of time out of the AFL spotlight and a bit of clear air and who knows, might be able to make a comeback.
Would like to see that even if he ended up playing elsewhere.
I thought the same thing. And it would be one of the only times I’d ever like to see someone leave us and then do well elsewhere. I seen it happen with Mark Occilupo in surfing, stopped at a similar age with burnout and mental health issues. Had a proper break. And made a huge comeback to even greater heights.
So definitely 2020 he’s touring the world or whatever, but he’s still very young.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
The clip of Tommy on 360 as a 17 year old talking about school being a break from the pressure of footy was telling. It shows the pressures were intense and maybe overwhelming way back then.

I can't see him making a comeback. I think he'll enjoy being anonymous overseas or wherever he goes and just living a 'normal' life and good luck to him.

Just saw those stats not long ago on the dogs FB page.

Maybe EJ sent us the big fella to get that elusive flag? TB born the same day EJ was laid to rest. Pretty spooky
And retired the day Bob Hawke died. Cause and effect? You be the judge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back