Oppo Camp Tom Boyd retires

Just reported on MMM that Boyd has retired at 23, citing mental health and the pressures of the game becoming too much.

Big lesson here to clubs about throwing stupid contracts at kids. There were plenty who said that the pressure of expectation that comes with such a contract would get to him, and now it’s come to fruition. I feel for him. If he’d been offered, and accepted a more reasonable contract he may not have felt the issues that have plagued him over the past few years so much.

It's sad that a clearly talented kid got weighed down by such expectation.

Hopefully he can look back one day and be extremely proud that he was part of an historic premiership win and played such a great game himself.

Now the pressure is off him hopefully he can lead a happy life.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Will be looked at as one of the most unbelievable trades of all time, for good and bad reasons.

The way it all went down, a #1 pick requesting a trade after one season and for Griffin(club captain) to be apart of it was just crazy to me. Thats not even mentioning the coin involved.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Just read it myself. I am not trying to be insincere, but he plays a grouse finals series, and they throw the bloke a big contract. So much pressure. I really hope he can be as successful in real life, as he was in that finals series. Just a sad story. Good luck fella.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wish him well and to be in a good healthy space.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suppose he would have negotiated a release from his contract.

If it was front ended he probably leaves with a fair amount of cash.

Apparently he forfeited 2 million dollars still on his contract.

Probably shows how serious his depression is, literally walked away from millions to escape Footy.

I am not trying to be insincere, but he plays a grouse finals series, and they throw the bloke a big contract.

He got the big contract after playing just 9 games in his first season. He then had his great finals campaign 2 years later. He was on guaranteed big money whatever happened.

The Dogs got their money's worth and not a single one of their supporters would go back and undo the trade.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sad that it should come to this both for Boyd and for footy. The game needs more elite talent reaching their potential, not less.

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Very sad to see him give a game away that he obviously loved, then hated with the weight of expectation on him. Hope he finds some peace in life with his future endeavours away from footy.
I still think he was BOG in the 2016 GF!

gerryg400

All Australian
Sep 30, 2011
Oakleigh
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just reported on MMM that Boyd has retired at 23, citing mental health and the pressures of the game becoming too much.

Big lesson here to clubs about throwing stupid contracts at kids. There were plenty who said that the pressure of expectation that comes with such a contract would get to him, and now it’s come to fruition. I feel for him. If he’d been offered, and accepted a more reasonable contract he may not have felt the issues that have plagued him over the past few years so much.
How do you know that the pressure of expectation caused his mental health issues? They may have been pre-existing.

Should have won the Norm Smith, so he’s played well when it mattered most.

Despite playing his best footy in the ruck I’m still not sure what was his best position.

Obviously has a fair bit going on, but I suspect it won’t be the last we hear of Boyd. He’s got too much talent for clubs to ignore.

How do you know that the pressure of expectation caused his mental health issues? They may have been pre-existing.
Reading comprehension friend. At no stage did I say that the pressure of expectation was the cause of his issues. I said that his issues may not have been as bad if he didn’t have the extra weight of expectation upon him. There’s a significant difference.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hope he finds his happiness - at least he can look back and got to be involved in something I'm sure 95% of us on here would have loved to be talented enough to get to!

bunter

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
shame for the young bloke,
hope he can rediscover the fun of kicking the footy around with his mates and overcome any issues he has.

At least they are about the Pies.

Some folks might wonder how this affects our mid season draft position? After all, it’s the mid-season draft that would be behind the timing of the announcement.

(Answer: it doesn’t - WB already had a pick in the first round)

Back