Oppo Camp Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

The part about issues over 5 years suggests it was a pre-existing condition

Quite possibly. Did his contract and the pressure that came with it improve this pre-existing condition? I'd say probably not.

Both can be true, they don't cancel each other out.

One could argue that being prone to depression and working in a pressure cooker environment as a marquee player is the perfect sh*t-storm.

Did I hit a nerve? Sorry that mental health isn’t as important to you as something that happened over a century ago that can’t be changed.

Theres nothing there that implied his contract was the root cause of his mental health issues. Just an acknowledgement that people predicted the expectation that comes with a giant unjustified contract could put significant pressure on him. Do you think that the scrutiny he was constantly under played no part in this? Even if it’s not the root cause it definitely wouldn’t have helped.
So your argument is about the “root cause” now? As if such a thing exists. Your OP was about the dangers of offering big contracts to young players, specially linked to the retirement of Boyd.
I ask if this is worthy of a thread on the Collingwood board and you link it to my stand on Aboriginal issues.
Wow Apex, that’s amazing!

Did you just hope that people would just agree with you? Or did you hope that someone like me would disagree?

I note on AFL360 that the Boyd contract is apparently finished. So no more player payments to be in the Dogs cap.
Can I ask why, if Buddy retired tomorrow, his payments would still be in the Swans cap? Because the Swans were told that they would not be free of that impost even if he quit before the contract expired.
What is the difference?
Because Buddy was acquired as a restricted free agent. The mammoth contract he was given couldn’t possibly be matched. The AFL only signed off on such an offer with those conditions, to avoid clubs making stupid crazy long term FA contracts that couldn’t be matched, but could simply be voided eventually by the player retiring. Given Boyd was a trade, shorter term than Buddy’s, and Boyd was young enough that he would require another contract before the end of his career (barring this inforseen circumstance), such measures weren’t required.

Quite possibly. Did his contract and the pressure that came with it improve this pre-existing condition? I'd say probably not.

Both can be true, they don't cancel each other out.

One could argue that being prone to depression and working in a pressure cooker environment as a marquee player is the perfect sh*t-storm.
Point is, we don’t know the cause of his depression.

So your argument is about the “root cause” now? As if such a thing exists. Your OP was about the dangers of offering big contracts to young players, specially linked to the retirement of Boyd.
The only person that seems to be arguing here is you. Every media outlet is linking the weight of expectation that came with his contract with his mental health issues. It’s not unreasonable for me to point out that such a contract could become a burden, or exacerbate any pre-existing issues.
I ask if this is worthy of a thread on the Collingwood board and you link it to my stand on Aboriginal issues.
Wow Apex, that’s amazing!
No, I’m just pointing out that you’ve made plenty of s**t threads on this board that aren’t even football related, let alone Collingwood related. Stop being a hypocrite.
Did you just hope that people would just agree with you? Or did you hope that someone like me would disagree?
I’m not asking anyone to agree with me. I’m trying to open up a discussion about mental health, and the impact that clubs can have on that when handing out irresponsible contracts to kids. For some reason you’ve taken exception to that. Each to their own I guess.

How long was he at the Dogs?
4 and a half years. Do you think the weight of expectation coming from being a number 1 draft pick was the cause of his issues? Do you think that the Bulldogs mammoth offer might have increased that weight?

If you're only going to play one good game then that's the time to do it.

4 and a half years. Do you think the weight of expectation coming from being a number 1 draft pick was the cause of his issues? Do you think that the Bulldogs mammoth offer might have increased that weight?
I’ve no idea what is causing his depression. So would not presume to base a thread on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve no idea what is causing his depression. So would not presume to base a thread on it.
If you’re not open to discussion then there’s no need for you to post in this thread.

If you’re not open to discussion then there’s no need for you to post in this thread.
I’m open to discussing that this is more complicated than footy, it is certainly a significant factor, but I think there are likely to be many other equally significant factors.

I’m open to discussing that this is more complicated than footy, it is certainly a significant factor, but I think there are likely to be many other equally significant factors.

Your point is fair enough, but given that Boyd has made a very expensive and rather uncommon decision to cut footy from his life at the relatively young age of 23, it seems reasonable to suggest that footy and its related pressures have been weighing heavily upon him.

I think it’s safe to assume it’s a very significant factor if he’s willing to walk away from millions of dollars and the game he grew up loving because he doesn’t enjoy it anymore.
It’s a stark contrast to Fasolo, who stated that walking away from footy wouldn’t have helped him at all when he revealed his depression.

Your point is fair enough, but given that Boyd has made a very expensive and rather uncommon decision to cut footy from his life at the relatively young age of 23, it seems reasonable to suggest that footy and its related pressures have been weighing heavily upon him.
I disagree. I think it’s likely there are deeper causes. Hopefully he can overcome it, or at least learn to cope.

I disagree. I think it’s likely there are deeper causes. Hopefully he can overcome it, or at least learn to cope.

We're all entitled to speculate, but it should be pointed out that your suggestion of 'deeper causes' is more speculative than any suggestion that football has contributed to Tom Boyd's decision to give up the game.

We're all entitled to speculate, but it should be pointed out that your suggestion of 'deeper causes' is more speculative than any suggestion that football has contributed to Tom Boyd's decision to give up the game.
Check out the OP and get back to me.

Afl 360 showed a interview prior to be drafted. In it he says that in the beginning football was a release from school but it had then changed to school being a release from footy.
The pressures of footy weighed on him very early on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back