MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the Iverson documentary last night, amazing some of the things I didn't know and everything he went through as a person.

What a legend.

Stumbled across this image in trawlling the internet to get my daily fix of the 2016 Premiers.

Look at the size of 'The Answer's' hand. It is bigger than the cup he is holding!!!;) It must be directly associated with his confidence and as he got better in the GF, his hands got bigger!!!
i.jpg

Was watching some of the footage of our prelim final last night and there is a moment at the end-of-game onfield celebrations where Tom & Matthew Boyd embrace and you can see it in Tom's facial expressions that he knew what it meant for Matthew Boyd to finally win a PF. It reads 'you made it mate, you are playing in a grand final next week'.

Amazing and showed Tom is a big part of the group and not some individual on big coin

Absolutely.

We've seen GWS have a healthy number of *******s on their list so the talk boyd wasn't liked up there and was some sort of bad egg is more a reflection on them
I'm often of the opinion that if as you live your life it's inevitable that you'll meet a few arseholes but if everyone you meet is an a-hole then maybe the true a-hole is staring at you in the mirror. The exception to this is if you play for GWS.

I was listening to a bit of Sen today. As usual it was Saints related, with Waters talking about the drafting for the Saints list in 2013. He mentioned that even though they knew Toyd would go as #1# they had to interview him, which basically turned into Toyd interviewing them, such was the maturity and presence of Toyd.

Waters was very impressed and not surprised that he played so well in the GF.

Those rumors of Tom not being liked were BS.
Look at the size of 'The Answer's' hand. It is bigger than the cup he is holding!!!;) It must be directly associated with his confidence and as he got better in the GF, his hands got bigger!!!
View attachment 312462
All the rumours on here are BS though,there only ever true if it's some random information someone has stumbled on by fluke or if someone who doesn't post much and is related to a player passes something on but doesn't make a song and dance about it.
Good photo with the Boyds hands though,can quash that ridiculous small hand theory which wasn't mail just stupid.

I'm often of the opinion that if as you live your life it's inevitable that you'll meet a few arseholes but if everyone you meet is an a-hole then maybe the true a-hole is staring at you in the mirror. The exception to this is if you play for GWS.
A lot of them aren't exceptions. They meet a lot of arseholes and see an a-hole in the mirror.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant wait to see what BTB can produce next year. Hopefully no backwards steps from here

It will be very interesting. End of the day Im not sure Im going to care ! hahaha

I keep thinking about Nathan Ablett you know. He had his own pressures much like Tom very unique pressures.
Kicked 3 goals in a grand final and people thought it would be his coming of age. Ended up a different story.
I couldn't envisage that Tom would go anywhere near that path.
He may not even track Hawkins path as hawkins was 23 when he played his grand final break out game so may take our Tom more time.

I still think there are technical flaws in his marking and he needs to work on being stronger in a contest.
Before I get howled down about 8 marks in a grand final I would suggest 5/8 were on midfield opponents or chest marks.
The strength in marking I am talking about is when he is marking above his head against a backman or ruckman of height and strength.

It may be a confidence thing and if that is the case then Id expect a big spike as cant deny the grand final will have boosted his confidence.

He will be a story within the story of how we go the year after climbing the mountain.

It will be very interesting. End of the day Im not sure Im going to care ! hahaha

I keep thinking about Nathan Ablett you know. He had his own pressures much like Tom very unique pressures.
Kicked 3 goals in a grand final and people thought it would be his coming of age. Ended up a different story.
I couldn't envisage that Tom would go anywhere near that path.
He may not even track Hawkins path as hawkins was 23 when he played his grand final break out game so may take our Tom more time.

I still think there are technical flaws in his marking and he needs to work on being stronger in a contest.
Before I get howled down about 8 marks in a grand final I would suggest 5/8 were on midfield opponents or chest marks.
The strength in marking I am talking about is when he is marking above his head against a backman or ruckman of height and strength.

It may be a confidence thing and if that is the case then Id expect a big spike as cant deny the grand final will have boosted his confidence.

He will be a story within the story of how we go the year after climbing the mountain.

Heath Grundy a small mid???

Heath Grundy a small mid???

Which mark did he take on his hands above his head with grundy contesting??

Took one out infront on his chest.
Took another and completed the mark befor grundy even got there?

Let me know....

I loved his game so don't take my post wrong. I just still think it's the major part of his game he still needs to work on and get right moving forwards.

Boyd is going to be an out and out star,next year I'm expecting him to improve on this year but from then on he will be the dominant force in the league. He also has a very good leap so I think he will be taking big grabs regularly. The penny dropped going into the gf,I think after the GWS game and their players getting into his face brought out his competive nature. He would have thought now I'm in a granny,these campaigners aren't and I'm going to start showing what I can do. He's still pretty young,he's big and agile,the size of his hands are perfectly fine and and he will be our leader through our era of domination.

Posted this in the records thread but it's worth repeating in this one too. Tom Boyd's six contested marks in the grand final is the second most ever recorded in a single game by a Bulldogs player, just one shy of Chris Grant's record.

Posted this in the records thread but it's worth repeating in this one too. Tom Boyd's six contested marks in the grand final is the second most ever recorded in a single game by a Bulldogs player, just one shy of Chris Grant's record.

Boyd will smash that record, probably even as soon as next year. Incredible!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Howl me down - but please let's put skids on the expectations for being a star next year. The kid is still 21 and years off his best. I'd hate for him to shrug off the expectations of the million dollar contract and pick 1 label to have to wear the weight of dogs fans who expect him to be dominate consistently next year.

Let's just be satisfied with steady improvement as we would any other 21yo please

Which mark did he take on his hands above his head with grundy contesting??

Took one out infront on his chest.
Took another and completed the mark befor grundy even got there?

Let me know....

I loved his game so don't take my post wrong. I just still think it's the major part of his game he still needs to work on and get right moving forwards.

They were all on mids so don't count.

They were all on mids so don't count.

So sarcasism then - not the answer to my question.

All I said it was the area of the game he will need to improve on next year and the last piece of his puzzle. I also only state a few facts regarding the grand final.

Sorry your earlier comment was proved incorrect.

Did some recreational number crunching about our luxuriously haired talisman this morning:

Of the 38 players in the league that averaged at least 5 hitouts and played more than 5 games Boyd is the youngest by 15 months (Brodie Grundy next youngest).

Out of that 38, only 6 were under the age of 24: Scott Lycett, Josh Walker, Rory Lobb, Toby Nankervis, Brodie Grundy and Tom Boyd.

Of those 6, only Lobb & Walker averaged more goals and contested marks per game than Boyd, and they're both 2 and half years older and averaged 2 and 3 less hitouts per game, respectively.

The only players in the 38 that averaged both more hitouts and more goals per game this year than Boyd were Todd Goldstein (28) and Kurt Tippett (29). Majak Daw (25) was very close.

Considering the age gap between Tom and his similarly performing peers, things are tracking along nicely for our lad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back