Tom Boyd v Peter Wright

Tom Boyd or Peter Wright

• Tom Boyd

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Peter Wright

Votes: 93 80.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The package isn't one of the best forwards in the comp?

He most likely meant tall backs aren't the matchup for Stringer, whereas they are for Lynch.

E.g last year when Stringer demolished the Crows by himself, Talia started on Boyd and Stringer got to play with Hartigan for two and a half quarters

He most likely meant tall backs aren't the matchup for Stringer, whereas they are for Lynch.

E.g last year when Stringer demolished the Crows by himself, Talia started on Boyd and Stringer got to play with Hartigan for two and a half quarters
Rance also went to Boyd last year, not Stringer. And it's not as if Rance is incapable of defending smaller defenders, he's been the direct matchup for Betts as well. Dempster from the Saints has gone to Boyd, not Stringer, when they have both been in the same forward line as well, despite Dempster being a better physical matchup for Stringer. Boyd's value is inherently in his 201cm, 100+kg size in that he has to demand the best defender even if he's not the best forward.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Peter Wright has been more impressive with none of the massive expectations put on Boyd. He has the AFL's best key forward standing next to him which helps but good on him - he's been great.
Outside Bulldog walls Boyd has given up the right to develop like a normal 20 year old key forward which is fair enough and he's being well compensated for that.
All I know is that we are a much better team with Boyd in it and playing up forward. Every time he goes up for a mark he has 3 players hanging off him. So for an 'absolute dud' as some have called him, he commands that sort of respect.
I think he'll come good.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Boyd will be very good, by when both are in their mid 20's people will be saying they are both on par with each other, as in both really good and important to their sides.

Boyd will be very good, by when both are in their mid 20's people will be saying they are both on par with each other, as in both really good and important to their sides.
Lol. Wright is head and shoulders above Boyd and will be for the forseeable future

Sent from my SM-P555 using Tapatalk

Lol. Wright is head and shoulders above Boyd and will be for the forseeable future

Yeah, because their respective performances on the weekend clearly demonstrated that.

In any case, how would Wright go if he didn't have Lynch, pretty much the best KPF in the comp next to him? And how would Boyd go if he did?

Yeah, because their respective performances on the weekend clearly demonstrated that.

In any case, how would Wright go if he didn't have Lynch, pretty much the best KPF in the comp next to him? And how would Boyd go if he did?
Lol, Boyd had one good game, yeah he is a gun

As for having a gun helping them, didnt Boyd play with cameron at GWS (aa that year) and Stringer at the dogs (AA last year)?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal

As for having a gun helping them, didnt Boyd play with cameron at GWS (aa that year) and Stringer at the dogs (AA last year)?

One good game puts Wright "head and shoulders" above Boyd, for whom one good game elicits nothing but a "lol." Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Also Boyd played nine games as a first year key forward with a fair amount of ruck time, and Stringer is not a key forward. Not really comparable to playing with a top three KPF in the league.

One good game puts Wright "head and shoulders" above Boyd, for whom one good game elicits nothing but a "lol." Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Also Boyd played nine games as a first year key forward with a fair amount of ruck time, and Stringer is not a key forward. Not really comparable to playing with a top three KPF in the league.
The very point that Boyd is sharing a forward line with Stringer helping him makes no difference when you consider Rance and Dempster both matched up on Boyd even though Stringer was a more in form player - and it's not because either of them can't match up on Stringer (Rance has gone to Betty and Dempster is physically identical to Stringer) it's just that Boyd, structurally, given his height and size, takes the first defender in our forward line always to the detriment of his own statistics but to the benefit to the team as a whole.

So you are saying that Boyd at GWS toomthe best defender in front of Cameron & Patton and the Dogs he tKes the best defender in front of Stringer & Redpath?

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
So you are saying that Boyd at GWS toomthe best defender in front of Cameron & Patton and the Dogs he tKes the best defender in front of Stringer & Redpath?

I'm saying that judging a key forward's ability on the basis of his first nine games is ******* ridiculous, whether he's playing on Alex Rance or Kyle Hartigan.

Does he take the best defender at the Dogs? Absolutely. Often two or three at a time. Stringer often matches up on second/utility types unless he really gets off the chain, which he hasn't done so often this year.

I'm saying that judging a key forward's ability on the basis of his first nine games is ******* ridiculous, whether he's playing on Alex Rance or Kyle Hartigan.

Does he take the best defender at the Dogs? Absolutely. Often two or three at a time. Stringer often matches up on second/utility types unless he really gets off the chain, which he hasn't done so often this year.
He is s**t though. Wright has shown more in his first 9 games than Boyd has in his 40-50 odd games

Look i get the fact he plays for your team and you want him to work out, i get that.

But he is no good and considering he is probably the highest paid forward in the league that makes it even worse.

He is s**t though. Wright has shown more in his first 9 games than Boyd has in his 40-50 odd games

Look i get the fact he plays for your team and you want him to work out, i get that.

But he is no good and considering he is probably the highest paid forward in the league that makes it even worse.

The fact that you think Tom Boyd had played 40-50 games precludes you from engaging intelligently any more in this debate.
He's payed 30 games - a fact that would have taken you five seconds given that you were already on the internet - and in any case what you're saying makes no sense. Wright's goals and disposal stats in his first 9 games are below Boyd's career averages let alone "shown more" if you want to compare to any individual game where Boyd has "shown" something.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I actually think you are pretty s**t

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

I know people are entitled to their opinion and even though some have them to fish for angry responses and to get up other supporters noses with their comments, but either way, you're a twat that has no clue.

I know people are entitled to their opinion and even though some have them to fish for angry responses and to get up other supporters noses with their comments, but either way, you're a twat that has no clue.
So you honostly think he has been worth his million dollares this year? And he has shown more than Wright?

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So you honostly think he has been worth his million dollares this year? And he has shown more than Wright?

Been injured for most of this year and came to us with even more baby fat then he does now and when he played this year he has been the one true tall forward, look at the comparison to Wright, Best defenders to Lynch because he is a great mark mobile and a long reach, when Boy gets to the games Lynch has he will be clunking them as he is and not mainly running under the ball, Boyd will be very good, some key forwards hit the ground running straight away as Cameron and Hogan did, others take a bit longer as Boyd Daniher and Patton have because either injuries adapting or players around them or ball delivery.

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

FYI when he played with GWS it was hist 1st year and managed to play 9 games. Peter Wright managed how many games in his 1st year?

go the dogs

All Australian
Apr 15, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure games played in their first year is a reflection of how good a player is.

Agree but the poster i replied to was saying how Boyd did Nothing playing alongside Cameron and how good Wright is playing alongside Lynch. I was just pointing out that they were both 18 year olds then and that 1 played 9 games and 1 played 3.

Back