• Yes

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • He will win the Best Nipples award

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dogs should adopt the equivalent to a ‘false 9’ formation up front where the key forward leads to the ball carrier to try and take a grab 35-55 out from goal. (Boyd and Schache are reasonably long set shots).
This will create space behind them for smart forwards / mids to run into to.
If defenders zone off Boyd/Schache then you have to play through them.
Simply kicking a high ball to the same spot all the time will mean you will be embarrassed on the counter - which is what happened this year with no opportunity for the defence to have their structure in place.
Unfortunately I do not see our coaching staff being creative.

Bump.
There are heaps of Tom Boyd threads but this one seemed as good as any, given the title put on it by Scrag.

Let's start with a link posted by gordo2016 to a September 2018 article:

and allow me to quote an interesting OP from fronkalicious in August this year:
Hi Luke
Wanted to drop you a quick note regarding Tom.

No doubt by now you’ve realised that Trengove and English are our 2 best rucks, leaving Tom 3rd in line there.

No doubt you’ve also realised that Schache is a lead up CHF, leaving us in dire need of a marking, Full-forward.

May I suggest a couple of things in relation to Tom this off-season.

1. Get him to drop 5-8kg.
2. Get him to focus on speed and agility.
3. Employ a dedicated key forward coach to assist him with leading patterns and techniques to gain separation from his opponent.
4. For the love of God teach him the right overhead marking technique.
5. For the love of God teach him some basics around his set shot routine.

Ok, that’s it from me. Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Fronk.
Fronk's list seems like a good place to start. Naturally we'd also have to add:
6. Help him get through his mental health issues.
7. Help him fix any physical issues - his back has been mentioned as an ongoing concern.

Recent pics suggest he has dealt with #1 (which may well help with #2) and judging from numerous articles and interviews he seems to be well on the way with #6. As Fronk himself has said a few times "the best ability is availability" so numbers 3-5 aren't much use unless #7 is sorted out, i.e.his back is able to stand up to the rigours of a full AFL season. I guess we aren't going to be hearing much about that from the club until at least Feb, maybe later.

The rest of it is about footy technique and smarts. Is it too late to teach this not-so-old dog some new tricks? I'm worried it might be when it comes to marking technique which is spontaneous muscle-memory type stuff. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd be more hopeful that he could learn better leading patterns and set-shot routines because they are things that he can think his way through and take more time on.

What we need to remember is that Boyd is still only 23 and he's been on a helluva journey already. He's clearly an intelligent and reflective bloke. I'd back him into sorting most of his problems out in the next year or two and becoming a very handy player. Some young blokes have it from day one but for most of us males it takes until we're 25 (in my case much later) before the penny drops and you start to really understand who you are and what you're capable of.

I'm not saying he's ever going to justify his #1 draft pick hype but I think he could be a very serviceable player for another 7 years or so. Even if he fails to win the Coleman Medal in 2019. I hope he continues to enjoy his footy and stays in the game.

If so, his contract renewal negotiations will be interesting to follow in a couple of years time. He's got a lot to play for over the next two years.

I hope (not just for Tom's sake), but for the club's sake, for football's sake and for the sake of every other person who has struggled with mental health issues and not had the support of a tight knit group like a sporting club, or a salary that can keep you fed in those really dark times that he makes it back to his very best.

With our forward line being a mess since forever there is the distinct possibility that our forward coaching has contributed to Toms issues rather than fixing them. Maybe our forward coaches are not and never have been any good.
Just putting it out there. The kid did seem to be a pretty good forward in the under 18's.

Depends what you mean by Coleman there is the John Coleman for the leading goal kicker in the home and away
season. There is the Jonathon Coleman for the person with the worse skin folds after the off season. Lastly there
is the Gary Coleman which is for the best small forward in the competition. His combined goal tally could not win
the John and he is too tall for the Gary so that leaves him and his doughy nipples with the Jonathon which he
has won previously when he tipped the scales at 110 kg. ;):( Cue the applause...
The Gary Coleman is actually for the smallest hands in the competition. Short odds too

1922952c8f470a386189f385050e3792.jpg

Looking like he's gonna miss out on a lot of the season due to his back so the Coleman might not be realistic anymore.

2019 is going to be a bit of wee sad story for Boydy. The best we can hope for is that he comes good for the finals. He's a tragic hero like big Tom Williams.

I’ve been reading the stories of him having a bad back & unable to train, taking them with a grain of salt whilst thinking he needs to dig deep to get himself ready for round one.

Right up until recently when I think I’ve pinched a nerve in my lower back and OH MY GOD THE PAIN IS SO BAD IT EVEN HURTS TO STAND UP OR WALK PLEASE MAKE IT STOP so now I fully understand what he’s up against. He might get all the physio/chiro treatment you need, but he’s also an athlete....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back