Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Ok with the shock announcement today of Boyd announcing he wants to move to the dogs I thought I'd start a thread for us (and maybe other posters) about tom.

How do we feel about a number 1 pick announcing he wants to move after one year? Personally I'm pretty pissed off about the sense of entitlement from a first year player....

How much does it hurt/cost the club?

What is he worth?

Let's keep it all here

Personally I'm pretty pissed off about the sense of entitlement from a first year player....
Is it really that much different to Tom Scully? Both got more money than they are entitled to but hey I can't really blame either.

I think it very difficult to judge given the extraordinary offer put in front of him.

He's played 9 games and is on $150,000 and has just been offered $900,000 a year for 5 years!! I hate him for wanting to leave but I also get the fact that this offer is difficult to ignore.

These blokes get 10 years maybe to earn real good coin and his Powerball ticket just came in.

That said I would be more then comfortable if we traded him to St Kilda for pick 1 and then used 4 and 7 to get Griffen.

We need to sign and focus on blokes that want to stay. Guys like Kelly and McCarthy, Lobb should be given every opportunity to shine. These blokes have extended and want to be around.

If blokes want to play games with us and be greedy they can go to NEAFL and rot there as far as I'm concerned.

Yes I see your point with a big offer it would be tough to refuse and I'm not dirty he is going I'm dirty he came out and demanded a trade when he has given effectively naught to the club

How desperate is he to get to the dogs? This has come completely out of left field. If any rumour there was it was Carlton. Not just homesick for Melbourne but Carlton specifically. Now all of a sudden, right in the middle of our negotiations with the dogs on a completely separate matter he announces he wants to go specifically to the dogs?

Please.

This has the stench of Pickering all over it. Remember this is the man who proudly proclaimed to all and sundry that he lied to us and dealt in bad faith all year last year. Pickering is poison and he is rapidly ruining this young man's reputation and integrity.

You've just been drafted. It's 2 years.

No other draftee would even consider it - and I reckon Boyd didn't consider it until Pickering got in his ear. Probably been in his ear all year talking up a big move home.

We say no. Keep him for another year. If he still wants out after his manager has been thoroughly rebuked this year, then fine. We deal then. But until he is out of contract and walking to the PSD to be taken by whatever s#it team wins the spoon Pickering and the dogs can piss off.

The are no personal reasons here. No dying father or sick sister. This is a case of an apparently brattish teenager too full of his manager's bulls#it to know the difference and think he can hold a club to ransom before his first twelve months are out.

Not necessarily... Say the dogs or saints finish last, still have a bunch of cash and first pick in the psd they could threaten psd if he nominates. Or he could do a knee etc. Lots can change in 12 months

He still gets paid the same money next year as this year so he's not leaving for immediate money.

Why not stay, play out the year and then open up a mass bidding war which would open up a much larger potential pay packet? Having multiple bidders next year with the time to sort things out sure beats giving any clubs four days to try and salvage something.

Dont let boyd go. Offer him a long term deal and keep him. You will have the money in the cap. I wouldn't even overpay for Griffen just pick up more top 10 kids and keep developing. It will give you a more longer lasting success.. just trade out the ones that are not elite.

Danny88 said:
Not necessarily... Say the dogs or saints finish last, still have a bunch of cash and first pick in the psd they could threaten psd if he nominates. Or he could do a knee etc. Lots can change in 12 months

Hard for the Dogs to finish last given young talent. Probably why they are desperate for GWS to crack now!

Obviously short term losses are not an issue for them as they chase draft picks

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My gawd, play 9 games in your first year after being drafted, come out and request a trade to the Bulldogs for massive $$.

I appreciate the need/desire to make money over a relatively short career. But when you get drafted, you commit to 2 years; as does the Club that drafts you. You don't suddenly say I'm chasing the money NOW and at a particular Club when you're a first year player.

I'm not happy because he appears to be blatantly chasing money. It doesn't appear to be homesickness and it doesn't appear to be lack of opportunity. I think GWS should get the best possible deal for the Club; if that's keep him here, then do that. If it's move him on, it's for the best deal possible. If Boyd isn't happy to go to St Kilda for pick 1, say, then he'll stay with us. He won't go the PSD next year; too great a risk.

My gawd, play 9 games in your first year after being drafted, come out and request a trade to the Bulldogs for massive $$.

I appreciate the need/desire to make money over a relatively short career. But when you get drafted, you commit to 2 years; as does the Club that drafts you. You don't suddenly say I'm chasing the money NOW and at a particular Club when you're a first year player.

I'm not happy because he appears to be blatantly chasing money. It doesn't appear to be homesickness and it doesn't appear to be lack of opportunity. I think GWS should get the best possible deal for the Club; if that's keep him here, then do that. If it's move him on, it's for the best deal possible. If Boyd isn't happy to go to St Kilda for pick 1, say, then he'll stay with us. He won't go the PSD next year; too great a risk.

Exactly. I would be livid if a player at my club did this.

You don't suddenly say I'm chasing the money NOW and at a particular Club when you're a first year player.

It's almost as if he can't wait to go.

He's given away that he probably didn't want to come here in the first place.

This is going to hang over him for the rest of the time he's with us.

Yeah how does he front up if we don't trade him? It is going to be very uncomfortable for him.

Yeah how does he front up if we don't trade him? It is going to be very uncomfortable for him.

He gets sat down, and it gets explained by our condotta, who came to our club for money, and they say 'You are a professional footballer. While you have a contract for a club, you bleed for that club'.

He gets sat down, and it gets explained by our condotta, who came to our club for money, and they say 'You are a professional footballer. While you have a contract for a club, you bleed for that club'.
I'm talking about US fans. I'm going to find it impossible to support him this coming season knowing he is with us under sufferance. That's not a player I can cheer.

Just took it as the Dogs trying to get one back rather than anything else. To get offered that kind of money at 19 would be mind blowing. Happy to take the Saints pick 1, at least its not a JOR type loss of value. Without knowing what type of personality he is, but on-field he didn't show a great deal of emotion at any time, kinda gave me the impression he wasn't fully committed. Hard to say, he might just be a quiet kid.

I think it's sad. I think Boyd has been advised awfully badly. He's been caught up in the churn around the Bulldogs loss of face from absent coach and captain, he has been put on a pedestal as the Footscray saviour, at 19! I thought his parents were happy with the pastoral care the Giants had shown him. Another year in the Giants system quietly accumulating confidence would have been way preferable to what will now happen, whether he stays or goes. The harsh glare of continual media scrutiny. Did his agent tell him this would be a good thing for his football. Just ask Jack Watts what that media spotlight feels like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back