Injury Tom Boyd

Remove this Banner Ad

So people don’t find it odd that Tom Boyd can’t even get a run in JLT... and isn’t even in the 25 man squad yet English is?

Surely shows he’s behind the pecking order of roughead.. scache... Trengrove and English.

Concerning.

How can this be good for his confidence ?
behind English? Fmd.

Why do people think clubs pick their best 22 for practice games? They give fringe players a go to get a look at them. Its that simple.

Why people give a fat rats about a practice match truly staggers me.

behind English? Fmd.

Why do people think clubs pick their best 22 for practice games? They give fringe players a go to get a look at them. Its that simple.

Why people give a fat rats about a practice match truly staggers me.
Interesting point. Who wasn't playing today that should get picked in Rd 1?
I'd say only Daniel, Biggs, Picken (the last two because they were injured). They will certainly help the cause once the real stuff starts.

I suspect that Wallis is not in serious consideration yet and same with Clay Smith. If so, that's a shame.
Boyd might have been in the frame but if his knee injury is even half serious then he won't be back any time soon.

So we need to leave out four of today's 23. On what I've seen they should be Honey, Schache, Gowers and probably Williams but who knows what the selectors are thinking.

Interesting point. Who wasn't playing today that should get picked in Rd 1?
I'd say only Daniel, Biggs, Picken (the last two because they were injured). They will certainly help the cause once the real stuff starts.

I suspect that Wallis is not in serious consideration yet and same with Clay Smith. If so, that's a shame.
Boyd might have been in the frame but if his knee injury is even half serious then he won't be back any time soon.

So we need to leave out four of today's 23. On what I've seen they should be Honey, Schache, Gowers and probably Williams but who knows what the selectors are thinking.

I wouldn't under estimate Mitch - remember how well he played when he came straight back into the side after 12 months out, against Geelong I think?

I'd have him in ahead of Hiney,mDunkley and Jong- we will need him against the GWS midfield.

I wouldn't under estimate Mitch - remember how well he played when he came straight back into the side after 12 months out, against Geelong I think?

I'd have him in ahead of Hiney,mDunkley and Jong- we will need him against the GWS midfield.
Hope you're right. I still think he has a lot to offer. Perhaps not as versatile as Bev wants them all to be but he's a natural footballer.

Agree with Honey and Jong but Dunkley? Brings contest mid and forward a better player in big games than Wallis at this stage

Agree with Honey and Jong but Dunkley? Brings contest mid and forward a better player in big games than Wallis at this stage

Interesting, at their best id have Mitch a fair way in front of Dunks. But I'd have both in our best team.

Honey and Jong about as appetizing as honeyed schlong.

He is one of the most important players in the history of our club. He didn’t s**t himself during the Prelim unlike dozens of Bulldogs before him. He was best on ground in the Grand Final. I challenge anyone to a dual in the Whitten Oval car park, anyone!

If that cost us 7 million - so be it.
I like to think that he didn't cost us 7 million, but played a valuable part in helping wipe out a 10 million dollar debt, so we are still in front:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's about the salary cap space more than the actual spending of the money. If he's on ~1.7mil this year and next (which I think is what Pann once suggested), then that's a huge problem.

It's about the salary cap space more than the actual spending of the money. If he's on ~1.7mil this year and next (which I think is what Pann once suggested), then that's a huge problem.

I doubt very much that is the case.

I thought Boyd was signed to a 7 year, $6 million deal. It was quoted as a million a year, because year 1 was only 200k draftee money.

Heavily publicised that we front-loaded the rest of the deal.

I’m guessing, but perhaps something like this

.2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 3.2.

Which would leave 2.8 over the remaining 4 years.

Am I missing something?

I thought Boyd was signed to a 7 year, $6 million deal. It was quoted as a million a year, because year 1 was only 200k draftee money.

.2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 3.2.

Am I missing something?

Who knows. But wild speculation is always fun at this time of year. I personally think Boyd is worth it because of the great entertainment his travails have provided us over the years, even if he's not much good at footy.

.2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 3.2.

Am I missing something?
What is known is that we spent several years structuring our cap expenditure to launch a raid on a key forward at the end of 2015. Boyd came up a year early so we paid him the base salary as you suggest.

The Hun reported he was on over a million in 2016 and 2017. In ‘16 he earned his money.

While your figures are speculation your reasoning is probably right and the cap jumped also significantly. I recall it being reported Boyd’s salary was fixed and would not increase with the cap.

He’s probably getting paid $700k or less from here on. If he establishes himself as a best 22 player again then we’re overpaying a bit but not hugely. If he hits AA at any stage it’ll be fine.

Todd Marshall kicked 4 goals today in his second season at AFL... Maybe Dalrymple needed to go so we can actually find a forward. Curnow made me cry as well. Looked like the second coming of Kouta out there. Anyway..... Looking forward to the game today. Hope someone can slot something!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who knows. But wild speculation is always fun at this time of year. I personally think Boyd is worth it because of the great entertainment his travails have provided us over the years, even if he's not much good at footy.

Surely there is an out clause that means we don't pay big $ for sitting in the sidelines? Surely.....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back