Tom Browne's dad as our next President?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
Got some nice endorsements, Cementhead and others as well.
I don’t profess to know any of the attributes of the candidates spoken about but one line in the Hun made my blood chill, something along the lines of ‘the Board are keen to promote from within’.
Kinda of a group autocratic leadership where you can’t get none else onboard isn‘t it.

So if you take away the loud mouth media personality and all encompassing personality, Ed was a great president. So if Browne is like him without those things, I think he would be great.

He WAS but not for awhile

I can just imagine the dinner conversations;

Tom: Is Bucks going to be extended, Dad?
Jeff: Shut the fu** up, son, you piece of sh*t.
More like;

Jeff: "Hi Tom, Dad here."

Tom: "Hi dad, How are you?"

Jeff: "I was just appointed President of the Collingwood Football Club."

Tom: "That's great................."

Jeff: " Sorry Tom. You're dead to me now!"

Click.

Roverjg

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2014
Surf Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was reported last night that the board was meeting last night to fill the casual Board vacancy. It was also rumoured that the new President was TBA as well. The Hun reported on the weekend that neither Korda nor Murphy had enough numbers. However that appears to have changed. The Board reportedly want to appoint the President from the current Board. In typical Collingwood fashion Ed is rumoured to be agitating for Jeff Browne to become President. he does not want any of the current Board to be President. Browne reportedly has enough support to call for an Extraordinary Board Meeting. Its time to allow the members to vote...

Korda has been on the Board for 13 years. He is part of the problem. Browne sounds good but I am concerned of Ed's influence and the reinstatement of the Boy's club.

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
I really have no idea how our board and president are put in but I just saw Ed on the nine news boasting and almost laughing at the fact that we haven’t had an election in 23 years. The vibe I got was that he didn’t want to give the supporters the chance to choose anyone because we’d choose the wrong person. I am so *en angry with this, this goes into the story that the whole club is rotten at the moment and a huge broom needs to go through it.
Imagine if Ed was trying to get on the board, he’d be calling for a special election and abusing the board for not being constitutional. I think the pies have turned into Russia, keep the opposition out and rule forever no matter what the people want. I’m so mad 😡

It was reported last night that the board was meeting last night to fill the casual Board vacancy. It was also rumoured that the new President was TBA as well. The Hun reported on the weekend that neither Korda nor Murphy had enough numbers. However that appears to have changed. The Board reportedly want to appoint the President from the current Board. In typical Collingwood fashion Ed is rumoured to be agitating for Jeff Browne to become President. he does not want any of the current Board to be President. Browne reportedly has enough support to call for an Extraordinary Board Meeting. Its time to allow the members to vote...

Korda has been on the Board for 13 years. He is part of the problem. Browne sounds good but I am concerned of Ed's influence and the reinstatement of the Boy's club.
I am a full member with voting rights, but I won't vote if I do not "know" enough about the eventual candidates.
I, like a lot of out of state members, will be putting a lot of faith in the hands of the local members to do the right thing and vote their conscience.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL

So we basically have to start from scratch again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billys Back

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t think being a friend of Ed’s has much relevance to be honest on his capacity to do a good job.

What concerns me is that the board aren’t even considering who, outside the board, maybe the best person for the job.

How could we believe someone who has been on the board for the past 10 years will be a great president when they were partly responsible in how the club has been functioning? And to think they should keep the selection internal concerns me a great deal. We just don’t learn.

Hopefully they at least change the constitution to limit the President’s term. Then they can give one of their other mates on the board a go.

Browne’s credentials are certainly strong and on face value his AFL experience is a great value add.

I say on face value though as I wouldn’t want a Collingwood board member being too friendly with the AFL. There was some discontent by Essendon fans that their board was too closely aligned with the AFL and therefore seen by some as AFL yes men. Hopefully Browne isn’t that way inclined.

Ed ... does not want any of the current Board to be President.

Ah, yes, the first rule of political leadership - never appoint deputies who covert your job or could do your job.

Browne reportedly has enough support to call for an Extraordinary Board Meeting. Its time to allow the members to vote...

Browne looks like he was a bit slow to get the memo. The board seat has been vacant for over two months. What took him so long to call Holgate?

Korda has been on the Board for 13 years. He is part of the problem.

What problem is that?

I’m happy to throw eggs at the club as much as anybody ...

... but we do seem to be in decent shape?

Trevor1954

Draftee
Jul 27, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do you happen to know whether Trevor and Jeff are twins? Since the two were listed in the Football Record in 1972 (when playing U19 finals) as aged 18 it seems highly likely:
View attachment 1103021
We are not twins. Jeff is 11 months older than me. He is a remarkable man and has unique experience in the VFL/AFL industry of more than 40 years. Collingwood members will be the winners if Jeff is at the helm.

We are not twins. Jeff is 11 months older than me. He is a remarkable man and has unique experience in the VFL/AFL industry of more than 40 years. Collingwood members will be the winners if Jeff is at the helm.
What does Jeff has to offer apart from the current board is responsible for our salary cap mess rhetoric?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back