Tom Browne's dad as our next President?

Remove this Banner Ad

If you get past the fact that he's Tom Browne's dad, he's probably a very, very good candidate.

Maybe having Jeff Browne as our President might make us reckon “Gee, that son of Jeff Browne who kicks off the questions in press conferences has got a bit of added gravitas these days ...”

(Nah, I don’t think so either)

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Boyd took over from Longmuir and did very well- so well that Longmuir poached him.
Hocking was VFL Coach and VFL got canceled- so he had no job.
It had nothing to do with Buckley preferring Sanderson.

It was effectively a demotion for Hocking IMO and he could have been reinstated to the senior coaching panel once COVID hit and retained.

The fact he wasn't speaks volumes to who Buckley chose to favour.

Boyd didn't land at the club with the same level of coaching experience as Longmuir who did the job he was hired to do brilliantly and it was no surprise he landed the job at Fremantle. Whether we could have retained Boyd if we chose to increase his responsibility and/or remuneration is open to conjecture.

Besides losing Boyd on top of Hocking and Longmuir only adds to my argument if anything that we haven't replaced the loss of talent within our coaching group and have stuck fat with a long term assistant in Harvey (who many of us see as not being senior coach material) and a long time friend to Buckley in Sanderson.

At the very least one of those two could have made way and another new voice with a fresh message join Skipworth.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
It was effectively a demotion for Hocking IMO and he could have been reinstated to the senior coaching panel once COVID hit and retained.

Boyd didn't land at the club with the same level of coaching experience as Longmuir who did the job he was hired to do brilliantly and it was no surprise he landed the job at Fremantle. Whether we could have retained Boyd if we chose to increase his responsibility and/or remuneration is open to conjecture.

Besides losing Boyd on top of Hocking and Longmuir only adds to my argument if anything that we haven't replaced the loss of talent within our coaching group and have stuck fat with a long term assistant in Harvey (who many of us see as not being senior coach material) and a long time friend to Buckley in Sanderson.

At the very least one of those two could have made way and another new voice with a fresh message join Skipworth.

FD cap was cut substantially, which would have adversely impacted budgets to replace Coaches. Not sure Buckley controls the budget, so hiring and firing would not be his decisions.

So if you take away the loud mouth media personality and all encompassing personality, Ed was a great president. So if Browne is like him without those things, I think he would be great.
Bingo.
Combined with he clearly knows his way around a board room, (hopefully won’t stack it with mates).
Knows how to run a business, has connections and understands the law, (always handy with our players).
I’m warming to the idea.

Linda_Lovelace

Cancelled
Jul 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
So if you take away the loud mouth media personality and all encompassing personality, Ed was a great president. So if Browne is like him without those things, I think he would be great.

Great presidents don't mess up something as important as the salary cap. I wonder whether the board ever looked at with any detail or just signed off on the contracts that put us in the s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood2022

Senior List
Mar 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
My mail is that McGuire is agitating behind the scenes. Lo and behold! What a surprise to all. As we all know, he just won't let go.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I believe that there is a push by the Herald Sun to get Jeff Browne in as president and I am doubtful he will become president.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'm not convinced. I thought he'd be great in that position in terms of developing the younger guys. I'm also not sure it was a choice to let him go over some of the others. I don't think legally you could justify shuffling the deckchairs to retain a bloke who's position becomes non-existent over a bloke who's position was on-going. I think we'd still be fighting that through the courts.

In terms of replacements, I like the potential of Craig Black and Damian Carroll is very well credentialed. Both good gets IMHO.

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not convinced. I thought he'd be great in that position in terms of developing the younger guys. I'm also not sure it was a choice to let him go over some of the others. I don't think legally you could justify shuffling the deckchairs to retain a bloke who's position becomes non-existent over a bloke who's position was on-going. I think we'd still be fighting that through the courts.

In terms of replacements, I like the potential of Craig Black and Damian Carroll is very well credentialed. Both good gets IMHO.

Hocking clearly had an impact during his time at the club. It's time to bring him back.

Murphy and Korda were part of that board. Next President shouldn't be either of those.

I'd say it's a 99.99% chance that one of these two will be our new president.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hocking clearly had an impact during his time at the club. It's time to bring him back.

I think that boat has already sailed. They had the opportunity to bring him back and opted for Black & Carroll.

Scribe26

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
He'll continue the new Collingwood tradition of having to be richer than s*** to have a place on the Collingwood board.

I was hoping for someone from left field to bring in some new ideas & innovation.

This has the stink of a new face on the same, tired product - a change in name only where most of the board will likely be retained with a new figurehead that will operate without a weekly scandal.

I'm not enthused... and that's before I found out he raised the most insufferable human in the history of AFL media.

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He'll continue the new Collingwood tradition of having to be richer than s*** to have a place on the Collingwood board.

I was hoping for someone from left field to bring in some new ideas & innovation.

This has the stink of a new face on the same, tired product - a change in name only where most of the board will likely be retained with a new figurehead that will operate without a weekly scandal.

I'm not enthused... and that's before I found out he raised the most insufferable human in the history of AFL media.
I was unaware he was Robbo’s dad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back