Toast Tom Campbell (DFA), Welcome to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm happy with this unsurprising move. He'll almost certainly play games, here's hoping the team first mentality he is known for elsewhere is true. Train hard, learn the program, play your role when you get the chance.
Him saying he genuinely wants to help Max Heath develop and find his way in the AFL system is great. Also how he’ll play wherever he’s asked to. Cannot fault the hardworking players one bit

I'm happy with this unsurprising move. He'll almost certainly play games, here's hoping the team first mentality he is known for elsewhere is true. Train hard, learn the program, play your role when you get the chance.
Even if he doesn't play a major role in the St.Kilda ruck brigade, he'll be very handy with the young players at Moorabbin. You won't come across too many more intelligent people, and he will have a genuine interest in the betterment of the Saints. Not a bad pick up really. Also don't be put off by his kicking technique, he doesn't miss too often. A very intelligent man, I would have liked to have held onto him, but with Goldy and Xerri, and now Coleman-Jones, it was just his age. He would be a fantastic mentor and coach.

Even if he doesn't play a major role in the St.Kilda ruck brigade, he'll be very handy with the young players at Moorabbin. You won't come across too many more intelligent people, and he will have a genuine interest in the betterment of the Saints. Not a bad pick up really. Also don't be put off by his kicking technique, he doesn't miss too often. A very intelligent man, I would have liked to have held onto him, but with Goldy and Xerri, and now Coleman-Jones, it was just his age. He would be a fantastic mentor and coach.
You guys already forgotten about Jacob Edward’s?

I always rated Campbell as a very solid backup - not necessarily a starting 22 player but exactly the cheap insurance option to have in reserve. Should have 2-3 solid years left in him. I'd be much more confident going in with Campbell filling in for a Ryder/Marshall injury than Hunter or Abbott. Sensible pickup.

I think the upgrade over Hunter is Campbell's forward play is much more natural.

Means he can cover Ryder and Marshall equally well without forcing the coaches to change up the structure.

I still think we will have a crack at Xerri again in 12 months, assuming he doesn't sign on at North.

So by the sounds a good character, intelligent bloke who speaks well and knows his place in the scheme of things.

Ingredients for him staying in the show as a player for a year or two, transitioning into a ruck coaching role going forward.
Tough to take the role off paddy who i want to be our full time ruck coach post football

Tough to take the role off paddy who i want to be our full time ruck coach post football
There’s a few differences as I see it…

1. Paddy and young Heath are very different blokes; Paddy is undersized these days, but his ruck craft, smarts and athleticism are outstanding.

He teaches Heath craft.

2. Campbell is a huge lump of a bloke; physical and aggressive, and much closer to Heath in terms of “like for like”. He’s also a pack splitter as a forward.
He teaches Heath physicality.

3. Paddy is nearly 34 and probably done this season coming. Campbell is a very new 30, and physically very lightly run; he’s got genuine backup miles in him, as in even 3 or 4 years.

Paddy can start teaching right away, and Campbell starts as Heath physically matures.
………………………

Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a good pickup, as I don't think Paddy's body will hold up for an entire season and Tom may get quite a few games.
Paddy is in ripping shape as fit as he has been for long time

Paddy is in ripping shape as fit as he has been for long time

Good to hear, but still don’t expect him to play every game. Pretty sure they’ll be looking after him and resting him periodically throughout the season, even if he doesn’t get injured.

I think Campbell will give us a fair amount more than Hunter.

There’s a few differences as I see it…

1. Paddy and young Heath are very different blokes; Paddy is undersized these days, but his ruck craft, smarts and athleticism are outstanding.

He teaches Heath craft.

2. Campbell is a huge lump of a bloke; physical and aggressive, and much closer to Heath in terms of “like for like”. He’s also a pack splitter as a forward.
He teaches Heath physicality.

3. Paddy is nearly 34 and probably done this season coming. Campbell is a very new 30, and physically very lightly run; he’s got genuine backup miles in him, as in even 3 or 4 years.

Paddy can start teaching right away, and Campbell starts as Heath physically matures.
………………………

Makes sense to me.
Not picking on you but l think the idea that Paddy is passing on his craft overstated. He does what he does because he's a freak, but Marshall and eventually Heath have an entirely different game.
I'm hoping Marshall goes solo from next year and if we land Bing then it's definitely the sensible arrangement. He goes good on his own and our midfield group can't rove taps for s**t anyway. Most of Paddy's good craft comes to nothing.

Not picking on you but l think the idea that Paddy is passing on his craft overstated. He does what he does because he's a freak, but Marshall and eventually Heath have an entirely different game.
I'm hoping Marshall goes solo from next year and if we land Bing then it's definitely the sensible arrangement. He goes good on his own and our midfield group can't rove taps for sh*t anyway. Most of Paddy's good craft comes to nothing.
Paddy’s freak athleticism let’s him jump high enough to contest much bigger rucks but why would his tap work come from that. It’s just his instinct of where and how to hit the ball. If he can add that to either Marshall or Heath’s games it doesn’t at all take away from their other attributes as it’s just a skill and knowledge base thing.
Would be like wanting a player to not practice goal kicking since they’re already a good snap at goal.

Paddy’s freak athleticism let’s him jump high enough to contest much bigger rucks but why would his tap work come from that. It’s just his instinct of where and how to hit the ball. If he can add that to either Marshall or Heath’s games it doesn’t at all take away from their other attributes as it’s just a skill and knowledge base thing.
Would be like wanting a player to not practice goal kicking since they’re already a good snap at goal.
You said it yourself. Paddy’s freak athleticism gives him 1st touch at the ball in a manner the others can't replicate.
It's not a matter of practice or not.

You said it yourself. Paddy’s freak athleticism gives him 1st touch at the ball in a manner the others can't replicate.
It's not a matter of practice or not.
From watching him I still reckon it’s less his jump and more his knowledge of how to place the ball to best suit the structure of the mids. His jump just negates his height difference. Either way I’d just love the opportunity to watch him more in person this upcoming season.

I don’t recall Ryder being this good of a tap ruckman when he was younger. Certainly starred as a ruck-forward, though. If I’m recalling correctly, then it wouldn’t make sense that he relies on his athleticism when that has declined with time; you could only conclude experience and “learning the craft”.

I think we’re selling Paddy a fair but short, here.

I don’t recall Ryder being this good of a tap ruckman when he was younger. Certainly starred as a ruck-forward, though. If I’m recalling correctly, then it wouldn’t make sense that he relies on his athleticism when that has declined with time; you could only conclude experience and “learning the craft”.

I think we’re selling Paddy a fair but short, here.
Yeah athletic freaks burn out quicker. It’s the old wise ones who last the longest in the AFL. Skill doesn’t age.

Yes backup rucks are always in demand, Tom Hickey has been to four clubs before settling at Sydney. Difficult to get a big man who is AFL standard even as a backup

Cam Wood spent 10 years on AFL lists.
Adam Pattison spent 7.

I think the clubs look more for attitude than ability in these sorts of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back