Toast Tom Clurey

jonasshirtfront

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2013
Cybertron
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What a defender, reads the play so well and he's winning the one on ones too. Making my decision to take the Logan Austin PI instead of his look dumber every game :'(

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He's playing well.

When he was playing with the Magpies I thought he was a prospect of becoming a rebounding afl backman but not one that has to stand the main tall forward. I was worried about how he was not aggressive enough on his opponent and would play him a bit loose and be a little panicky but it looks like he's altered that.

He's capable of kicking on both feet.

He now is the backman I mostly trust.

So happy for the guy. Has bided his time and is now delivering no frills true Port Adelaide backman play.

PAFCsince1870

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
I wonder how much of his improvement is the Nathan Bassett effect.

We've seen guys improve out of sight like Tom Clurey, Darcy Byrne-Jones and Dan Houston since Nathan came on board and Tom Jonas looks a completely different player to what we saw last year.

Either way Tom will be a deadset jet if he continues improving and building on his current form. Credit to the club for building the AFL's stingiest defence without using a first round pick (not including Jasper).

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What was impressive against Collingwood was his reading of the ball. Won so many marking contests because he was mentally one step ahead of everyone else.

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The more games he plays the better he's going to get. Stepped up big time this year when we needed him to. Has slotted in for Bobby seamlessly. I'm still not convinced he's going to be a star, but if he can be a good reliable defender, that's all we need from him.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has had a really solid year, very impressive.

Pretty much all our defenders have been too - led by the outstanding season of Jonas who has been a rock for us. I reckon that plays a big part in the growth in confidence that Clurey has demonstrated this year.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Pretty much all our defenders have been too - led by the outstanding season of Jonas who has been a rock for us. I reckon that plays a big part in the growth in confidence that Clurey has demonstrated this year.
That 3 year contract is looking like a masterstroke now. A few players could take a leaf out of TJ's book about how a long term contract doesn't have to lead to complacency and lack of hunger.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
IMO he's a taller version of Jonas, just needs to get a tad stronger. If he does without losing his athleticism and skills he could end up being one of the better defenders around.

Definitely a KPD and not a tall midfielder.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That 3 year contract is looking like a masterstroke now. A few players could take a leaf out of TJ's book about how a long term contract doesn't have to lead to complacency and lack of hunger.

His regression through 2015/16 was truly bizarre. Devoid of confidence, it seemed to be pre-ordained that whatever he touched turned bad. Fortunately we are seeing him revert back to his excellent 2013 and 2014 where it looked for all money that he'd go on to be the bedrock of a successful, disciplined but mean defence.

I too was sceptical of the three years afforded to him after the misery of '15 & '16, but at his best he is a terrific player and a genuine leader of the football club.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who's to say sometimes why players improve but our defense esp TJ, Clurey and Broadbent all look at their best this year. I think a lot of credit has to be given to Bassett. Considering we don't have the ''all-australian" rock star defense of the crows we are traveling very nicely in that area. Only really looked disorganised against Essendon.

Back