Toast Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Onya Tommy.
Rapt. Tommy's a ripper!
Yep and more than an unobtrusive get it done defender. Mano e mano he's rarely beaten.
Surprised and relieved he was so patient with us.
I first saw Tom v Nick Rewoildt in a pre-season run around at Alberton in 2013? held him goalless btw
Then he waited and waited and waited too long for his call up. Lucky to have him.
Thanks for your patience Tom we luvz ya

Great news. This guy will be a very solid defender for Port for a good 7 years to come. Could end up reasonably similar to Shannon Hurn, I reckon.

Fantastic news I agree, but not sure where the Hurn comparison comes from?

Yep and more than an unobtrusive get it done defender. Mano e mano he's rarely beaten.
Surprised and relieved he was so patient with us.
I first saw Tom v Nick Rewoildt in a pre-season run around at Alberton in 2013? held him goalless btw
Then he waited and waited and waited too long for his call up. Lucky to have him.
Thanks for your patience Tom we luvz ya

:rolleyes:

Or maybe he served a necessary apprenticeship to become the player he has become. Doesn't happen overnight.

Fantastic news I agree, but not sure where the Hurn comparison comes from?

:rolleyes:

Or maybe he served a necessary apprenticeship to become the player he has become. Doesn't happen overnight.
Yes I agree, I dont think he has been hard done by at all ... we certainly saw his gangly potential in the early part of his career, but he was also quite inconsistent. Often he was selected then dropped, and has slowly improved his craft to become the reliable defender he is now.

Well done to the young fella, and we can now look forward to many more years of seeing him play for Port

In the last game the Maggies played before the one club thingo Cluzza played at chb for genelg :rolleyes:, he took some ripper pack marks on the outer wing, and on a couple of occasions tonked the ball at least 50 metres lace out to a leading forward.
I remember thinking at the time he had something to offer but may be a tad undersized height wise for a key role at AFL level.

Happy to have been wrong with that assumption! :)

In the last game the Maggies played before the one club thingo Cluzza played at chb for genelg :rolleyes:, he took some ripper pack marks on the outer wing, and on a couple of occasions tonked the ball at least 50 metres lace out to a leading forward.
I remember thinking at the time he had something to offer but may be a tad undersized height wise for a key role at AFL level.

Happy to have been wrong with that assumption! :)

Undersized height wise? That's a different one. He's 193cm and is pretty lanky sort with a long reach. Can understand why people would be sceptical of his disposal early on but I don't think height or strength has ever been a concern.

Congrats Tom , played a lot of reserves footy and has taken a while to cement his spot but that is quite common for a key defender . Seems like a good fella too . Should bea 200 gamer at this rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a look at Hawkins stats at 1/4 time because the bloke I sat next to, asked if he was playing and I thought, I think he is. So I said I will check the AFL app, there he was at the bottom of the 44 players 0 disposal 0 fantasy points and I clicked on his link and it was doughnuts across every stats category which I think I counted 25 doughnuts.

Last edited:
How good was Tom Clurey's game? From the AFL match centre game day live Match Feed column you get a good idea;

Q4 25:59
Tom Hawkins has kicked four goals in each of his past five matches but has had no impact tonight, with no marks nor scores. Prior to this match he had played 29 consecutive games kicking a goal, and has never previously been held to no marks across his 245 career games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back