Traded Tom Cutler (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tommy is far and away one of my favourites and I have been thrilled with his form in recent weeks.

Tom should really trust his ability because he has unique weapons that can cause damage to the opposition.

Keep it up Tom!
He has the tools but am quite glad that they e taken him out of the backline and on the wing, he can really start to run free more and think that we will see more goals like we've seen in the last few weeks.

Really starting to find his feet at this level now. Turning into an absolute gun. I think most Lions fans saw that potential in him from early days but he is starting to deliver and it is fun to watch!

MRP: Round 18
Tom Cutler, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with engaging in rough conduct against Lachlan Murphy, Adelaide Crows, during the third quarter of the Round 18 match between the Brisbane Lions and the Adelaide Crows, played at the Gabba on Saturday, July 21, 2018.

In summary, he can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence and a medical report from the Adelaide Crows Football Club, the incident was classified as careless conduct with high impact to the head. The incident was assessed as a two-match sanction. The player can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

DmjLtnLU4AIT9vq.jpg

Player Reviews: Sam Skinner, Dan McStay & Tom Cutler
#26 - Tom Cutler

Tom Cutler showed significant growth in 2018, producing a number of career-best performances and becoming a favourite amongst Lions fans. Remarkably, Cutler wasn't considered in the Lions' best 22 during pre-season and the first couple of games of the year.

When he was a late inclusion into the Senior side for Round 3 against Port Adelaide, he impressed with 21 disposals and a goal. Cutler reached his first milestone match early in the season, celebrating his 50th game for the Club against Collingwood at the Gabba.

The midfielder delivered his best effort in the Lions’ 65-point victory over Carlton when he finished with a season-high 28 disposals, two goals and a career-best 14 marks. His Round 18 effort against Adelaide saw the 23-year-old make a career-best five tackles in an electric performance on home turf.

Unfortunately, he was later charged for rough conduct during the match and missed the following two matches with a sanction for careless contact. Cutler averaged 20.4 disposals and 6.5 marks per game. His ability to take a mark stands amongst the League’s elite according to AFL statistics, averaging 6.5 marks per match.

Senior matches: 18

Hey Lions fans, could someone please explain to me where Cutler's role is at the moment? I see he's not getting games in the ones (mostly due to the team winning), but as I have a vested interest in him from an Ultimate Footy keepers point of view, I'm wondering whether to hold on to him or not.

I saw he's kicked a few goals in the NEAFL. Is he playing as a forward? Or just kicking from the midfield and not getting a game?

Thanks in advance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for a trade? 10 out-of-favour players your club could target
Tom Cutler – Brisbane
Games this year: Nil
Contract: 2019
Would suit: Carlton

Played 18 matches last year as a tall wingman roaming between the arcs but has been overlooked for the opening month of 2019. Copped a knee knock that hampered parts of his JLT Community Series, however has been available for selection and simply left out. Now into his sixth year at the Lions, the 24-year-old has been given ample opportunity with 63 games. Could a move home and change of scenery at a club crying out for midfield depth take the 191cm Cutler to the next level?

Guaranteed he'd be a bigger success than what Crisp has been at Collingwood if we let him go.

Is twice the player than more than half the guys in the current 22.

2ED10B5B-7F68-4EB0-9356-B1BD07C9BC8A.jpeg

I have no doubt that the big money offers will come for Tom Cutler come trade time and he will be very hard to retain. A shame really, because he has a massive amount of potential.

AFL trade whispers 2019: Lion Tom Cutler attracts Victorian interest
Brisbane looks likely to “face a fight” to retain a ball magnet that has struggled for senior games in 2019.

Carlton and Collingwood are “sniffing around” out-of-contract fringe Lion Tom Cutler, reports the Herald Sun. After playing 18 of a possible 22 games in 2018, Cutler has struggled with a foot injury and, to a lesser extent, form during Brisbane’s remarkable rise to premiership contenders this season.

The 24-year-old has played just three AFL games so far this season, accumulating 21, 23 and 21 touches respectively.

However Cutler has played a key role in Brisbane’s undefeated NEAFL campaign to date, booting 13 goals and averaging 24.3 disposals and 6.6 marks from seven games. As part of a comprehensive trade wrap, the Herald Sun reported the Lions would “face a fight” to hold onto Cutler, who could soon further explore his options with the Blues and Pies interested.

The Lions are keen to hold on to Cutler, who was taken with Pick 33 in the 2013 national draft.

Cutler isn’t the only fringe player who’s uncontracted beyond this season, with Allen Christensen, Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Ryan Bastinac and Ryan Lester all without deals for 2020.

Stay Tommy; 2020 will be your year.

Goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway; if we let Tom go, we'll regret it as he will become star.

Midfielder set to leave the Den
Brisbane midfielder Tom Cutler is poised to depart the Lions as he assesses his options in his home state of Victoria.

Cutler, 24, has resisted several opportunities to re-sign with the Lions this year during a season where he was stuck in the NEAFL.

Essendon and Carlton are monitoring Cutler's movement as they look to add more midfield depth.

Cutler played 18 matches in 2018 on a wing but was restricted to just three matches in 2019 as the Lions surged towards a second-place finish.

He was part of the Lions' NEAFL premiership team this year. – Mitch Cleary

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-10-03/trade-wrap-banned-pie-sparks-interest-from-handful-of-clubs

All the best for the future Tom. I remember seeing him play in the AFLX at the start of 2018 and thinking how can a guy with that athleticism and natural ability not dominate in the real AFL. Just didn’t happen at the Lions. I am fifty fifty on whether or not he goes on to realise his potential or slowly slips into a post football life. In the end I support the clubs approach to support him to find a new home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back