Traded Tom Cutler (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very encouraging performance. Finds the ball. Still a work in progress, but I wonder at the wisdom of looking at Suckling when a player like Cutler might be at that level in two years time.

My point on this was if Cutler is available on a similar basis to Robinson we should look, at him as he is a player from an outstanding culture,with undeniable experience and skill. I agree Cutler, Gardiner, McStay , Dawson and co. are exciting talent we must develop. I bieleve in two years, if we hold our talent we play finals, and in three who knows....look at Port and the Doggies.

Im sorry but if you do something wrong you need to be pulled up for it. It is that simple.

I agree, but I actually think Jed was wrong about it - our forward line was pretty crowded at the time, but the space opened up for Cutler to take a shot from 50m, which I thought was the best option.

I agree, but I actually think Jed was wrong about it - our forward line was pretty crowded at the time, but the space opened up for Cutler to take a shot from 50m, which I thought was the best option.

I thought the same, especially considering Cutler has the distance comfortably so it's not a horribly speculative shot. It's a valuable thing to have a few players who can goal from 50, especially in an era where defences can really clog up around the KPFs.

Cutler I like a lot. The one thing that often finds him out is his agility. He has the turning circle of a ruckman. If I was him this is something I would be working on a lot in the offseason as if he improved that area his defensive game would improve a great deal.

Player Reviews: Part Five

Tom Cutler made big strides in his development in 2015, often being used for his run off half-back, as well as for his speed through the wing and midfield. He gathered a career-high 32 disposals against West Coast in Round 4, and had 28 touches against the Bulldogs late in the season. Cutler will be looking to secure his place in the Lions’ line-up in 2016.

Cutler Hopes To Lock Down Regular Spot in 2016

THE THIRD season of a player's career isn't quite make or break, but Brisbane Lion Tom Cutler knows it's time to grab a regular spot with both hands.

Unless you're a Jaeger O'Meara, Daniel Rich or Joel Selwood, your first year in the system is more about finding your feet and just trying to earn a game than it is about dominating.

Year two, you start getting some continuity and hopefully contribute to your team.

Then year three comes along, when the player, the club and the wider AFL community get more of a feel for how good the player is.

With 18 games to his name – 11 last season – Cutler has shown glimpses of his enormous talent, but he wants to lock down a spot and be a defensive cornerstone of what he hopes will be a Lions revival.

The Boys Who Have Bulked Up

Defender Tom Cutler continues to get stronger without losing any of his speed.

Cutler slides across the grass with ball in hand, has a thumping right boot, and at 192cm can play on either medium-size forwards or smalls.

With 18 games to his name (11 last season), Cutler has shown glimpses of his enormous talent, but he wants to lock down a spot and be a part of a defence of what he hopes will be a Lions revival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's Set To Explode in 2016

Defender Tom Cutler slides across the grass with ball in hand, has a thumping right boot, and at 192cm can play on either medium-size forwards or smalls.

With 18 games to his name (11 last season) – coming into his third season – 21-year-old Cutler looks ready to win a regular spot in the Lions' backline.

In the final month of 2015, he averaged 22 disposals over four games and above all showed off his greatest asset – his ability to break lines with his running.

Cutler has had an impressive pre-season, worked hard in the intra-club matches and was one of the Lions’ better players in the NAB Challenge loss to Gold Coast. Given some confidence at the top level, he could be in for a breakthrough season.

Hanley tips Tom Cutler to BREAKOUT in 2016

YESTERDAY Pearce Hanley sat in for Tom Rockliff at the Captains Day in Melbourne. The media flocked to ask our Vice-Captain a variety of questions and among these was the question of who he expects to have a breakout season at the Lions in 2016.

His Answer: Tom Cutler

“I’m excited to see how (Tom Cutler) goes. He’s mostly an unknown quantity outside of Brisbane. He’s a terrific player and he’s had an excellent pre-season. I’ve worked closely with him so I’m excited to see how he goes.,” Hanley told Fox Sports. Standing at 190cm tall and weighing 89kg, Cutler is a dynamic option in the Lions defence. In 2015 Cutler made big strides in his development, often used for his run off half back. He finished the Season having played 11 games and averaged 21 disposals. Cutler has had a big pre-season, and is looking to lock down a spot and become a defensive cornerstone for the young Lions backline.

In an article written by Michael Whiting earlier in the year, Whiting described Tom Cutler by saying:

"Much like teammate Pearce Hanley, Cutler glides across the grass with ball in hand, has a thumping right boot, and at 192cm is a perfect size to play on either medium-size forwards or smalls. He has shortcomings – his disposal can be erratic – but Cutler and Sam Mayes running from half-back is a mouth watering proposition for Lions fans." Cutler's main weapon is his run, something that he and Hanley have in common, and he has said that a chat he had with Hanley last Season has gone a long way.

"I try and take elements of Pearce's running game and style into my game," he said to afl.com.au. "He spoke to me on several occasions (last year) and we broke down film together looking at how I could do certain things." Cutler is also an AFL Fantasy performer. He was this week labelled by The Traders as an AFL Fantasy quiet achiever. The Traders also expect Cutler to break out in his third year in the system and he is coming off NAB Challenge scores of 83 and 89.

13BLAd15MR1537.jpg

Could be tommys break out year. Seems deeply entrenched in our run and gun type of play. 20 plus high rate efforts on the weekend was just superb. Keep it up tommy.

Match Report: Western Bulldogs
Meanwhile, the Lions could also pay a heavy price, with Tom Cutler (dislocated elbow) and Allen Christensen (concussion) spending most of the match on the sidelines.

The Lions could pay a heavier price, with Tom Cutler (dislocated elbow) set for a stint on the sidelines and Allen Christensen unable to play after half-time after failing a concussion test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back