Traded Tom Cutler (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure i like him up forward. Although he did have some promising moments.
Really? I thought he worked up the ground well and linked up in attacking passages of play. Also kicked 2 goals and he seems to be an accurate kick on goal both from set shots, on the run and when crumbing. I think he showed a lot more in that role than what Lester has shown and I think he is worth persisting with there. I do like him as a running half back as well though. Versatility is a good thing:thumbsu:

Really? I thought he worked up the ground well and linked up in attacking passages of play. Also kicked 2 goals and he seems to be an accurate kick on goal both from set shots, on the run and when crumbing. I think he showed a lot more in that role than what Lester has shown and I think he is worth persisting with there. I do like him as a running half back as well though. Versatility is a good thing:thumbsu:
At first i thought it was strange. He did kick a few goals. Few nice passages of play. But at times looked so lost. Would rather he kick 2 goals off half back gathering 600+ metres. But we cant have it all. Having mayes and cuts being able to rotate with each other will be massive in 2 to 3 years time.

A lot of clubs look for versatility in players these days and Tom's definitely got a fair bit of it, whether he's creating run off half back, playing on the wing or sneaking up forward to kick goals. He's also been able to break the lines a couple of times and blast through the corridor with his speed. Personally I think I prefer him down back but he did have a few exciting moments up forward today. He's really improved in steady increments this year, it's great to see.

Last edited:
Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 06/08/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Came back from the seniors and played as an inside mid. He was OK but he’s still got some areas of his game to improve on but it was good to get another bigger bodied listed player in and around the midfield. He had it 26 times, didn’t use it all that effectively. Of those 26, 11 were contested which is important for him. He still laid 4 tackles and had 6 tackles and hit the scoreboard too so there were some good parts of his game there.

2016 Club Champion Wrap

Defender Tom Cutler was rewarded for the best season of his career by being named the 2016 Marcus Ashcroft Most Professional Player, while Billy Evans was the recipient of the Neville Fallon Reserves Best and Fairest.

Wounded Lions doing the hard yards

Tom is recovering from a shoulder reconstruction. He’s going well, and doing everything that he can. He’s a professional, hence being named our 2016 Most Professional Player. At this stage he won’t return to the main group until post Christmas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Player Reviews: No. 26 - 30

After an impressive 2015, Tom Cutler entered 2016 in full force but faced injury setbacks with a dislocated shoulder in Round 5 against the Western Bulldogs. He returned in Round 10 against Hawthorn and was instrumental in helping snap the Season’s 12-game losing streak, kicking two goals in Round 18 against Essendon. Despite his setbacks, the 21-year-old averaged 18.5 disposals and career highs of 13 marks and 2 goals. The 190cm tall utility took home the Marcus Ashcroft award for Most Professional Player in 2016.

Coach’s notes:

Tom played majority of his footy as a running back, playing all his games in the AFL. He was top 5 in the Club for metres gained, providing good run off halfback. He impacted the scoreboard, kicked 9 goals for the season. All in all a good season for Tom and we expect big things from him in 2017.

tcutlerrec2016.jpg

I think our backline looks better with Cutler in. His kick outs are almost always long and to our advantage (when he doesn't lose his s**t during the game). I think his performance against the GC should be his barometer and think by seasons end he'll be very consistent. Just needs a good run of games which he really hasn't had due to injury. In fact I just checked and his best effort was 6 consecutive games. Very hard to be a good player if you keep getting cut down every month or so.

Berry extends until 2020

The Lions have also re-signed defender Tom Cutler for a further two years.

Cutler has played 38 games since he was drafted to the Club at the end of 2013.

The 22-year-old is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury but is expected to return to football next week.

“We were really pleased to re-sign Tom,” said Noble.

“We see Tom as a long-term player for our Club and we believe he has a strong part to play in our future.

“We’re laying the foundations for continued improvement. We want to become relevant again and these signings are recognition of that.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back