My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 16, ghostdog

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I actually disagree with this. Jenkins didn't only have to be an option if Joe was traded. Jenkins would have been an upgrade on Brown. A forwardline with both Jenkins and Daniher looks much more potent IMO.
I also think Bonar would have improved us in the long run. Que sera.

Brown offers coverage at both ends.

Bonar should not have been an option for us. Could be good but we’ve got enough speculative forwards trying to make the grade as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
One of the things I'm excited about is adding a winger that can mark the ball. For ages its felt like Heppell is our only midfielder that actually takes marks regularly. Everyone else its more like "on a good day". If he can run and spread and hit targets going forward and then work back and do a bit of intercept marking then he will really help our team.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Brown offers coverage at both ends.

Bonar should not have been an option for us. Could be good but we’ve got enough speculative forwards trying to make the grade as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bonar was drafted as an inside mid.
Jenkins could be worth 30 - 40 goals.
We have enough defenders to be able to cover without having to resort to Brown.

I did say he can take a mark. He averages five. So does Zaharakis who gives away 12cm to Cutler. We had a mid in Myers who had a 50m+ peg and with Cutler we've replaced that. Difference is he'll play on a wing. What I'm saying is we have a player who can do that in Mason Redman. We're crowded for options in the backline and Redman's quality by foot would be valuable. Presumably that means Cutler's point of difference is his height, especially over McGrath, who incidentally has a similar disposal average because he runs all day. If he gets a game on the wing I won't be unhappy, and I realise his height is a point of difference for us, hopefully to our advantage. That aside, not much changes does it? ...unless he can develop his inside game. Tall big bodied inside mid. That would be different for us (Myers notwithstanding).
Cutler plays with 5 times the spread Myers did. The only similar thing about them is size.
If he comes of his point of difference is that he is a tall winger.
As for Redman why would we be moving one of the defenders that can actually defend one on one ? If anyone goes from the back half it would be McKenna.
Cutler is a better option around the ground than Myers and Langford. On top of that Zaharakis is reaching the end. Clubs are looking for genuine wingers and not flankers who fill in.

Bonar was drafted as an inside mid.
Jenkins could be worth 30 - 40 goals.
We have enough defenders to be able to cover without having to resort to Brown.
And was let go cheaply because his run and spread in non existent. No way we can play him in the same side as Heppell. We need midfield depth but we do not need inside plodders.
He will be a bust at North as well. No chance he can play with Cunnington and Ziebell in the midfield.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
And was let go cheaply because his run and spread in non existent. No way we can play him in the same side as Heppell. We need midfield depth but we do not need inside plodders.
He will be a bust at North as well. No chance he can play with Cunnington and Ziebell in the midfield.

Paul Ahern as well. Cunnington is only 28, and is contracted for another 3 years. He won't be playing in the same midfield as him.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Cutler plays with 5 times the spread Myers did. The only similar thing about them is size.
As for Redman why would we be moving one of the defenders that can actually defend one on one ? If anyone goes from the back half it would be McKenna.
Cutler is a better option around the ground than Myers and Langford. On top of that Zaharakis is reaching the end. Clubs are looking for genuine wingers and not flankers who fill in.
Agree with all the above - plus it’s the kind of career stage for Zaka where a slight calf in round 5 turns into a groin turns into only playing 6 out to the 22.

Paul_Barnard

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Has been and always been listed as a wingman.

Not true at all.
Watch his interview on the website, he himself mentions only playing the last couple of seasons on the wing.
I definitely remember him starting as a half back/tall defender, then transitioning over to the wing - like most of our mids have done ineffectively in recent times..

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
About time we had someone who can fill the void from midfield to forward.
Until now its been win it in the back half, kick/handball/run & carry, then bomb it in.
Until now we havent had that next link up. Might be good to have that wingman who can mark around wing half forward and deliver or go over their back half set up. Instead needing Daniher, McKernan and Brown to push up, leaving Tippa, Langford and Laverde to get picked off.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe so, but we don't have any other big inside mid options, spreading from the contest can be learned (he's been played as a forward), and fitness levels can be developed.
I get what you're saying re: plodders on the list but we go through plenty of those trying to separate the hay from the chaff and trying to find the unpolished gems. How can we justify keeping players like Jake Long on the list for such an extensive period of time, yet not give a player like Bonar a chance at developing with us and potentially filling a need. What is he, 20? 21 years old?

He might be a bust at NM. He might've been a bust with us, but with no inside mid options he surely was worth a shot. Instesd we've come away with a winger (which we need) and we'll go to the draft, hopefully for that big body.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I did say that his point of difference is that he's a tall winger.
Re: Redman; I would be willing to try him out on a wing because can also take a decent grab and he would improve the quality of our i50 entries. Francis, Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose defend well enough and Redman can roll back as part of a rotation if we need an extra behind the ball.
I agree with your last point, but as I've said elsewhere, I would have preferred we prioritised an inside mid.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe so, but we don't have any other big inside mid options, spreading from the contest can be learned (he's been played as a forward), and fitness levels can be developed.
I get what you're saying re: plodders on the list but we go through plenty of those trying to separate the hay from the chaff and trying to find the unpolished gems. How can we justify keeping players like Jake Long on the list for such an extensive period of time, yet not give a player like Bonar a chance at developing with us and potentially filling a need. What is he, 20? 21 years old?

He might be a bust at NM. He might've been a bust with us, but with no inside mid options he surely was worth a shot. Instesd we've come away with a winger (which we need) and we'll go to the draft, hopefully for that big body.
I wanted Bonar until I closely watched him play. Not much of an accumulator, even in the NEAFL. Looks like another Langford with a little more ability in the midfield. I don't think we need another midfielder that can't run the other way.
Cutler is the right choice.

I think we're better off looking for a DFA. If not, the draft should have a few inside mids around our pick.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Given Zaka was already on the outer, this guy needs to be able to run both ways or the whole thing is a waste of time. Fingers crossed

I did say that his point of difference is that he's a tall winger.
Re: Redman; I would be willing to try him out on a wing because can also take a decent grab and he would improve the quality of our i50 entries. Francis, Hurley, Hooker and Ambrose defend well enough and Redman can roll back as part of a rotation if we need an extra behind the ball.
I agree with your last point, but as I've said elsewhere, I would have preferred we prioritised an inside mid.
Problem was there where no really decent inside midfielders. Boner is a plodder and we did actually enquire about him but he chose North . We can not make them come to us. Different story if we take more flankers in the draft where we have the choice.

He is an inside plodder. Only way he plays is if he takes Heppell spot. His spread issue is the lack of pace. We have been wiped of the Park because of slow midfield in recent times. We need outside run in the middle. That is not Boner.
Although Cutler plays wing he will still be a big body at stoppages to block even if he is not a clearance machine. He only has to do what Stringer does at the centre bounce and let Sheil and Merrett do the rest.
As for Long he got one year more than he should have but the choice was him or pick 90 something.

It is not like we have not asked about decent inside mids , Parker Wines SPP where all asked about. We do have a gun clearance mid in Sheil , we just need to protect him a bit more.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
He is an inside plodder. Only way he plays is if he takes Heppell spot. His spread issue is the lack of pace. We have been wiped of the Park because of slow midfield in recent times. We need outside run in the middle. That is not Boner.
Although Cutler plays wing he will still be a big body at stoppages to block even if he is not a clearance machine. He only has to do what Stringer does at the centre bounce and let Sheil and Merrett do the rest.
As for Long he got one year more than he should have but the choice was him or pick 90 something.

It is not like we have not asked about decent inside mids , Parker Wines SPP where all asked about. We do have a gun clearance mid in Sheil , we just need to protect him a bit more.
Bonar hasn’t got a lack of pace, he is elite over 20m and has shown it on occasion in his under 18 year. Now using it to his advantage more often is the bigger issue.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

to get Bonar we would have been paying $400k+ for 3 years. it's not really a free hit - it would have consequences for list management.
if we think he probably isn't the right fit we are better off at the draft, trying to do what you mentioned.

Given Zaka was already on the outer, this guy needs to be able to run both ways or the whole thing is a waste of time. Fingers crossed

Zaharakis hasn’t played VFL in a decade. The idea that he’s on the outer just because Worsfold used him like a mule with a spinning wheel is absurd.

Back