Remove this Banner Ad

12 - cutler.jpg
Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
Last Game Played: Round 13, 2022 (omit)
Injury Status: Should be available to play this weekend - 20/7
Quad strain, "standard" injury, will miss about 4 weeks - 29/6

My Boy Draft 2022: Pick 16, ghostdog

Last edited:
Zaharakis hasn’t played VFL in a decade. The idea that he’s on the outer just because Worsfold used him like a mule with a spinning wheel is absurd.
Zaka not having played VFL in a decade would be worth something in a team that was going deep into September. He's been a good player in a very average side, but who is he in a good side? All i'm saying is that he is on the outer if we want to push for top four. His best is certainly good enough but where he averages out to might not be good enough.

Bonar hasn’t got a lack of pace, he is elite over 20m and has shown it on occasion in his under 18 year. Now using it to his advantage more often is the bigger issue.
Did you see any of his footy this year ? I managed to get a hold of a few games and the two knees have not done him any favours it appears. He may have been elite a couple of years ago in under but now he looks like Myers with dread locks.

Don’t even know how it’s a dispute between him & Bonar. One guy has done two ACL’s & covers the ground poorly. The other is a fantastic endurance athlete (who runs both ways), with a good burst of speed & a raking kick. Not saying he will definitely be a success but the attributes are absolutely there & he’s come to the club at a cheap price.

Problem was there where no really decent inside midfielders. Boner is a plodder and we did actually enquire about him but he chose North . We can not make them come to us. Different story if we take more flankers in the draft where we have the choice.
Yeah I thought when NM went after him we were gone. Higher draft pick and he's mates with Davies-Uniacke. I liked what I'd learned about Corey Lyons. Not sure if we made enquiries though.

He is an inside plodder. Only way he plays is if he takes Heppell spot. His spread issue is the lack of pace. We have been wiped of the Park because of slow midfield in recent times. We need outside run in the middle. That is not Boner.
Although Cutler plays wing he will still be a big body at stoppages to block even if he is not a clearance machine. He only has to do what Stringer does at the centre bounce and let Sheil and Merrett do the rest.
As for Long he got one year more than he should have but the choice was him or pick 90 something.

It is not like we have not asked about decent inside mids , Parker Wines SPP where all asked about. We do have a gun clearance mid in Sheil , we just need to protect him a bit more.
That makes sense to me. I didn't realise he was a slow mover.

to get Bonar we would have been paying $400k+ for 3 years. it's not really a free hit - it would have consequences for list management.
if we think he probably isn't the right fit we are better off at the draft, trying to do what you mentioned.
I reckon that's more of an issue, although some have said that's fairly standard for a young player?

Aidan Bonar isnt a plodder

He ran 0.03 off the quickest 20m at his draft combine
His vertical jump was 89cm which has been shown to be a very good indicator of speed and power (the highest of the combine)
Finished top 10 for the agility in combine

If people want to have a crack at him, its his endurance as a mid
Im also not sure hes actually that good but he can move

He was certainly worth what North paid. He chose them over us. what that was for, we dont know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon that's more of an issue, although some have said that's fairly standard for a young player?
i read that too but surely 400k is a dream for the majority who aren't top 15 picks?

bonar went at 11 or 12 and i suspect at the time of extending the giants had higher hopes for his career progression.

His vertical jump was 89cm which has been shown to be a very good indicator of speed and power (the highest of the combine)

He was certainly worth what North paid. He chose them over us. what that was for, we dont know

Ant's point was that since under 18s he has become slow.

True but watching him in the vision I have seen this year he is not really displaying it now.

Zaka not having played VFL in a decade would be worth something in a team that was going deep into September. He's been a good player in a very average side, but who is he in a good side? All i'm saying is that he is on the outer if we want to push for top four. His best is certainly good enough but where he averages out to might not be good enough.

Because I don’t really consider them analogous or competing for the same spot.

Zaharakis is best used as part of that mid/forward flank rotation with Stringer, Smith and AMT whereas Cutler I suspect is a bit of a poor man’s Heppell. Big frame and capable of taking contact but more at home in space being a link man or a distributor and can sift back and support the defence in the air.

He’s certainly beefed up an area of need and natural attrition rate will see him play games but he will have to overtake plenty to bed down a spot. If anyone is going to feel heat from him I think it will be Langford, and I don’t have either of them in a fully fit best 22.

Cutler I suspect is a bit of a poor man’s Heppell.

Disagree. Heppell plays inside, while Cutler would not. I think his size is misleading a few people.

quickly let's draft some new people so i don't have to keep clicking into this thread to see cutler's abilities and role slowly morphing despite him being feet up on hols

Because I don’t really consider them analogous or competing for the same spot.

Zaharakis is best used as part of that mid/forward flank rotation with Stringer, Smith and AMT whereas Cutler I suspect is a bit of a poor man’s Heppell. Big frame and capable of taking contact but more at home in space being a link man or a distributor and can sift back and support the defence in the air.

He’s certainly beefed up an area of need and natural attrition rate will see him play games but he will have to overtake plenty to bed down a spot. If anyone is going to feel heat from him I think it will be Langford, and I don’t have either of them in a fully fit best 22.
He is nothing like Heppell except in body shape. Purely outside winger, elite speed with a raking boot who loves a goal.

I like Cutler. He has good speed and skills but for me his biggest pitfall is his one way running. If that can be stamped out I feel he can definitely be best 22.

Last edited:
Interesting to think we would have been unlikely to target him if he was a smaller player. We must surely be thinking of utilising his size, which given his lack of inside experience must be a crash and bash role?

Interesting to think we would have been unlikely to target him if he was a smaller player. We must surely be thinking of utilising his size, which given his lack of inside experience must be a crash and bash role?
One of our biggest weaknesses was lack of get out marking options from defence. Having a tall hard working wingman who can take a grab will certainly help. He’ll also be able to use his size to block for Shiel etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back