Recommitted Tom De Koning [Signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Tom Dekoning is OOC end of 2023, brother just resigned for a further 2 years tying him to the club for the next 3 seasons.

Is there a sniff of a chance tom packs his bags and requests a trade down the highway to play with his brother?

what do you estimate will be his trade value?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Dekoning is OOC end of 2023, brother just resigned for a further 2 years tying him to the club for the next 3 seasons.

Is there a sniff of a chance tom packs his bags and requests a trade down the highway to play with his brother?

what do you estimate will be his trade value?

First round AT LEAST

Start with what you offered Bruhn he’s better

First round AT LEAST

Start with what you offered Bruhn he’s better
i think rules state that is all we have in terms of first rounders to give, unless i am mistaken and we can offer both our current and future first, but i do not believe we will be allowed to. So someone would have to want to leave to add anything else significant on top of that.

i think rules state that is all we have in terms of first rounders to give, unless i am mistaken and we can offer both our current and future first, but i do not believe we will be allowed to. So someone would have to want to leave to add anything else significant on top of that.

You can get special dispensation from the AFL getting Bruhn in might count as a young one anyway

You can get special dispensation from the AFL getting Bruhn in might count as a young one anyway
depends alot how he goes this season. He might fall down behind pittonett mckay and play a dozen games, or he might have a breakout season. Very hard to quantify his value atm as alot of it is potential talk that will be alot clearer at the end of this season

what has been the hold up? has there been an offer infront of him that he is not wanting to sign? or is carlton waiting longer to make an offer?
I thought they’d just give TDK a contract like Mitch McGovern but Blues fans on here reckon that was heavily front-loaded so can’t see where that moneys going to come from.

what has been the hold up? has there been an offer infront of him that he is not wanting to sign? or is carlton waiting longer to make an offer?
I’m sure we’ve made preliminary offers during discussions. The hold up is that Tom’s a young player who is yet to reach close to his potential, making his market value a complete mystery. His management would understand that his earning capacity will increase if he performs well this season. It would be absolutely negligent of them to take a deal right now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What salary should he be offered now and after coming out of age in 2023? :cool:

It will all depend on how much exposure he can get. TDK taking the primary ruck last season showed off his very different style of ruck work to Pittonet. The two in the same team work very well

Pittonet is only 26. Just three years older than TDK. They could be a very effective pair for five years. One taking the bull stoppage rucks and one leaping over them.

Geelong could see it as a double win to extract him from Carlton so the Blues aren't as dangerous against them.

There must be a reason he hasn’t signed yet.
Geelong obviously all over him.

Cats second rounder probably the end price considering the leverage they would have with him being OOC.

'1 million' Cripp
There must be a reason he hasn’t signed yet.
Geelong obviously all over him.

Cats second rounder probably the end price considering the leverage they would have with him being OOC.
We probaaly can't afford him and million clubs will want him. If that's their offer he can walk to the psd

I think De Koning still has the potential to make it, but turning 24 this year the "he's still developing" argument won't stack up for much longer. I'm aware rucks take the longest of all positions to develop.. but facts are he is yet to play a single good game of footaball at AFL level. Not one.

The truth is Carlton was a much better football side when De Koning doesn't play. Statiscially he was the worst #1 ruckman in the competiton last year in clerance differential, and this was with a great midfield at his feet. Pittonet isn't exactly a star but the clearance differential with him rucking vs De Koning was staggering. Injuries were the only reason De Koning played in 2022, and if Pittonet was fit he would have had yet another year of reserves footy.

Casual fans will love his highlights package, in particular his abiltiy to take the odd contested grab, but he does not impact games of footall. He does little around the ground. Doesn't kick goals. Is not dangeours as a resting fwd. And gets destroyed in clearance.

Unless De Koning wants to accept a very modest contract I'd let some other side buy into the hype and we'll take the picks/players that come back our way.

I think De Koning still has the potential to make it, but turning 24 this year the "he's still developing" argument won't stack up for much longer. I'm aware rucks take the longest of all positions to develop.. but facts are he is yet to play a single good game of footaball at AFL level. Not one.

The truth is Carlton was a much better football side when De Koning doesn't play. Statiscially he was the worst #1 ruckman in the competiton last year in clerance differential, and this was with a great midfield at his feet. Pittonet isn't exactly a star but the clearance differential with him rucking vs De Koning was staggering. Injuries were the only reason De Koning played in 2022, and if Pittonet was fit he would have had yet another year of reserves footy.

Casual fans will love his highlights package, in particular his abiltiy to take the odd contested grab, but he does not impact games of footall. He does little around the ground. Doesn't kick goals. Is not dangeours as a resting fwd. And gets destroyed in clearance.

Unless De Koning wants to accept a very modest contract I'd let some other side buy into the hype and we'll take the picks/players that come back our way.
Yep, he’s shown very little at the level.
Will be interesting to see if Voss invests in him with senior game time, and give him the number one ruck position this year. Or whether he gives him that 3rd forward, relief ruck position. Will be interesting to see if they go for the latter as they will need to complement the three talls with three strong running and tackling players to hold that ball in the 50.

Yep, he’s shown very little at the level.
Will be interesting to see if Voss invests in him with senior game time, and give him the number one ruck position this year. Or whether he gives him that 3rd forward, relief ruck position. Will be interesting to see if they go for the latter as they will need to complement the three talls with three strong running and tackling players to hold that ball in the 50.

If he wants a massive pay day and doesn't show significant more consistency next season, I am prepared to let him go.

Would much prefer to keep him, but he needs to start delivering more often on field.

If he wants a massive pay day and doesn't show significant more consistency next season, I am prepared to let him go.

Would much prefer to keep him, but he needs to start delivering more often on field.
I don’t think he would want a massive pay day.
But I’d be surprised if the cats haven’t been in his ear to come down and play with his brother.

Has been hyped my many Carlton fans in the past but I do agree with you, next year is his time to show what he can do.

Or whether he gives him that 3rd forward, relief ruck position.

When played as a 3rd tall / resting ruck De Koning accomplished nothing other than clogging up space for McKay and Curnow.

He has all the physical tools to play that position, but in AFL history there's been many players who should have been good but proved to be completely useless.

Facts are that Silvagni's a far better option in that role, and even though SOS is a terrible ruckman his ground work still helps Carlton win clearances.

IMO De Koning's only position is #1 ruck, and I don't see him in Carlton's best side in 2023. The only player he's replacing is Pittonet and if both fit there's no chance he's getting a game.

When played as a 3rd tall / resting ruck De Koning accomplished nothing other than clogging up space for McKay and Curnow.

He has all the physical tools to play that position, but in AFL history there's been many players who should have been good but proved to be completely useless.

Facts are that Silvagni's a far better option in that role, and even though SOS is a terrible ruckman his ground work still helps Carlton win clearances.

IMO De Koning's only position is #1 ruck, and I don't see him in Carlton's best side in 2023. The only player he's replacing is Pittonet and if both fit there's no chance he's getting a game.
Ah that’s a shame he couldn’t make that third tall possie his own. Certainly knows how to clunk a mark.

Would be crazy to leave. Pittonet not going to last forever. He will stay.

Pittonet is only 26 and is a handy ruckman who continues to improve. Will probably never reach the spectacular heights that Tom will but our midfield gets on top more often than not when the Pitt is in.

Tom will need to improve again if he wants to be the number one ruck at Carlton. Think he can/will. Should be inspired by what Tim English has done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back