Recommitted Tom De Koning [Signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Only thing going on on the Cats list management thread is that they are getting Smith this year for a late first, Harley Reid in 2025 due to home sickness even though he lives 250km away from the Cattery and that they'll also get Walsh and Ash down to Geelong when they are up for Free agency.

Never heard of a more delusional lot, and thats saying something considering I spend many hours daily reading the Carlton board threads where I still see the occasional poster mention that they still think Plowman could add another dynamic to our team.

Is our number 1 ruckman now. Hopefully he stays. If he goes we probably get single mid-late first round pick for him. We will get at least that if he leaves as a free agent in 2 years so no upside in trading him away early.

Only thing going on on the Cats list management thread is that they are getting Smith this year for a late first, Harley Reid in 2025 due to home sickness even though he lives 250km away from the Cattery and that they'll also get Walsh and Ash down to Geelong when they are up for Free agency.

Never heard of a more delusional lot, and thats saying something considering I spend many hours daily reading the Carlton board threads where I still see the occasional poster mention that they still think Plowman could add another dynamic to our team.
So you're telling me our delusions centre on midfielders and not rucks?

After last trade period it's hard to know what realistic expectations are anymore to be honest, but most of those thought bubbles are not really serious.

When has he actually played a "big game"?

50 games in, I don't think that has actually ever happened
Hey buddy, just wondering if the wc game constitutes a big game? Or is this one of those ones that also don’t count?

Hey buddy, just wondering if the wc game constitutes a big game? Or is this one of those ones that also don’t count?
Haha, way to go about getting excited for his 19 touches against possibly the worst football side we have seen in the modern game.

If that is what constitutes a big game for you my friend, you are easily pleased 😂

Haha, way to go about getting excited for his 19 touches against possibly the worst football side we have seen in the modern game.

If that is what constitutes a big game for you my friend, you are easily pleased 😂
How predictable… okay I’ll check in again next week…

Btw, saints only just got over the line to beat that team 😉

How predictable… okay I’ll check in again next week…

Btw, saints only just got over the line to beat that team 😉
The fact that you are coming on here bragging about a solid game against a woeful side probably proves my point about how average his first 50 games were.

And you can come on here every week if you like. I've never claimed he won't go on to play some good footy in the future, just that after 50 games he was yet to have a big one.

Not sure how awful my side was against West Coast holds any relevance at all?

The fact that you are coming on here bragging about a solid game against a woeful side probably proves my point about how average his first 50 games were.

And you can come on here every week if you like. I've never claimed he won't go on to play some good footy in the future, just that after 50 games he was yet to have a big one.

Not sure how awful my side was against West Coast holds any relevance at all?
It doesn’t, I just added it because it’s hilarious.

See you next week! 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The De Koning camp and Carlton are deep in talks on what would likely be a two-year deal in what is a stunning show of faith in the Blues’ future direction.

De Koning has no guarantees he will be the club’s leading ruckman, given Marc Pittonet’s four-year contract, and he shapes as the club’s third forward behind key position duo Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

But despite massive interest from Sydney, Geelong and St Kilda, the ruck-forward wants to stay at Ikon Park.

This was rumoured a couple of months ago, so there’s no surprise there.
A couple of years at $650ish I seem to remember if we look back in this thread. Takes him up to free agency which is a great move by him and I think good by the Blues. He has a couple of years to add forward craft to his game to increase his pay packet.

But with Grundy playing 2s I wonder if clubs are starting to review playing ruckman big coin.

I’d hazard a guess there would be a handful paid more than this….

Gawn, Grundy, Nic Nat, Darcy, English, Lobb?

This was rumoured a couple of months ago, so there’s no surprise there.
A couple of years at $650ish I seem to remember if we look back in this thread. Takes him up to free agency which is a great move by him and I think good by the Blues. He has a couple of years to add forward craft to his game to increase his pay packet.

But with Grundy playing 2s I wonder if clubs are starting to review playing ruckman big coin.

I’d hazard a guess there would be a handful paid more than this….

Gawn, Grundy, Nic Nat, Darcy, English, Lobb?

The report above says they have tabled $600k, once the McGovern money comes back to us (thank god) and that gets finalised, could end up being a touch more.

Luke Jackson is on reportedly $900k long term, Witts and Marshall would likely be around the $600k mark too, probably more. It's not overs for a player like TDK by any stretch and could very well end up looking like a bargain for Carlton.

Collingwood paid bloody Mason Cox $550k between 2018-21! St. Kilda offered Sam Draper $450k for 4 years before he'd even played a game!

The report above says they have tabled $600k, once the McGovern money comes back to us (thank god) and that gets finalised, could end up being a touch more.

Luke Jackson is on reportedly $900k long term, Witts and Marshall would likely be around the $600k mark too, probably more. It's not overs for a player like TDK by any stretch and could very well end up looking like a bargain for Carlton.

Collingwood paid bloody Mason Cox $550k between 2018-21! St. Kilda offered Sam Draper $450k for 4 years before he'd even played a game!
Yeah that’s my point. Marshall and Witts you say are on similar coin. Both a couple of levels above TDK right now and can impact significantly on matches. They are around the value of their worth.

My point isn’t a slight on TDK or Carlton. TDK has been paid for the next two years on potential and the opportunity to perhaps retain him long term, not his current output. I think it’s low risk, but I’m not sure he’s outputting $600-$650k.

It’s more a question on the relative value of ruckman vs their impact on the ground.

Guys like Jackson, Nic Nat and Grundy are rightly being asked questions on their return on their salaries.

Yeah that’s my point. Marshall and Witts you say are on similar coin. Both a couple of levels above TDK right now and can impact significantly on matches. They are around the value of their worth.

My point isn’t a slight on TDK or Carlton. TDK has been paid for the next two years on potential and the opportunity to perhaps retain him long term, not his current output. I think it’s low risk, but I’m not sure he’s outputting $600-$650k.

It’s more a question on the relative value of ruckman vs their impact on the ground.

Guys like Jackson, Nic Nat and Grundy are rightly being asked questions on their return on their salaries.

He hasn’t even signed yet.

FWIW I would expect him to give $600k output in 2024, at whatever club he ends up at. He has been at that level the last month since grabbing hold of the number 1 spot.

Suspect he moves forward this week to cover the loss of McKay and Silvagni which will be disappointing.

He hasn’t even signed yet.

FWIW I would expect him to give $600k output in 2024, at whatever club he ends up at. He has been at that level the last month since grabbing hold of the number 1 spot.

Suspect he moves forward this week to cover the loss of McKay and Silvagni which will be disappointing.
Yeah I’m keen to see how he pans out.
Does the club project him to be a pure ruck like Witts? Or a guy who’s a good ruck and can damage forward like Marshall? Or a good ruck and excellent hole filler and goal kicker like Max Gawn?

He’s got athleticism, but I still haven’t worked him out. You are right though, next year is big boy year for him. He’s getting paid good coin and needs to set himself up for his career contract in 2026. He’s bet on himself with this contract, which is good to see.

Witts apparently is on a lot more than that.

600-650 puts him on a similar level as players like Dan Mcstay, Riley O’Brien and Scott Lycett.

This is very similar to what Rowan Marshall did in 2019, gave himself 2 years to prove himself as at 24/25 year old then signed a 5 year contract starting around 750 and moving north from there.

It’s a reasonable price to pay these days for a 24 year old 204cm ruckman. Give both himself and the club 2 year to really access his value vs potential before settling on a longer term deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back