Tom De Koning

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Am I the only one who found this a little… weird?

1664108946162.jpeg

I get he’s excited for his brother and wants to congratulate him, obviously.

But… he’s also a professional footballer for an opposition club. Jumping on the ground and celebrating with the cup? It struck me as bizarre and perhaps a little misguided. I get a quick embrace and all that, and proper celebrations in private… but this seemed a bit unprofessional for me.

Anybody agree? Or am I being a bit knobhead Kane Cornes here?

Nah who cares. What difference does it make? Will he decide to play worst next season because of it? If anything, it'll do the opposite and he'll strive to have something like that for his club. if the opposite had happened and it was SDK there instead, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

It is only weird if it was a geelong/Carlton Grand Final. That would have been weird.

Definitely not Cornes level of douchery to take issue but I don't think it's a huge deal to support your brother like this. Could have been handled a bit better by taking a bit more of a back seat given cameras and profile but he's still pretty young and maybe a bit naive. I'd give him a pass.

Agree i dont see the big deal.

Am I the only one who found this a little… weird?

View attachment 1518348

I get he’s excited for his brother and wants to congratulate him, obviously.

But… he’s also a professional footballer for an opposition club. Jumping on the ground and celebrating with the cup? It struck me as bizarre and perhaps a little misguided. I get a quick embrace and all that, and proper celebrations in private… but this seemed a bit unprofessional for me.

Anybody agree? Or am I being a bit knobhead Kane Cornes here?
You are being a bit of a knobhead like Kane can be.
He's young and there is a LOT of siblings in this family and I believe they are all super close so celebrating together as happy for his bro is fitting with their family nature. I think there is 11 kids in the family. Their Dad played for the Dogs.

You are being a bit of a knobhead like Kane can be.
He's young and there is a LOT of siblings in this family and I believe they are all super close so celebrating together as happy for his bro is fitting with their family nature. I think there is 11 kids in the family. Their Dad played for the Dogs.

Fair enough. I’m not totally against it, but it raised an eyebrow for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 4 of the top 6.
I think Swans and Lions will be in there.
I cannot wait for next season.
Collingwood or Richmond?

Not a chance in hell that you, Melbourne and I aren’t up there.

Fairly sure there will be more De Konings in the league in coming years.
With eleven of them there surely is one or two more talented enough to make it at the top level.

Collingwood or Richmond?

Not a chance in hell that you, Melbourne and I aren’t up there.
Richmond and Dogs.
I honestly feel with your over 30 year olds this was last roll of dice and run out of petrol tickets early next season and probably not make top six.
So glad for the older ones that nailed it whilst they still could.

Richmond and Dogs.
I honestly feel with your over 30 year olds this was last roll of dice and run out of petrol tickets early next season and probably not make top six.
So glad for the older ones that nailed it whilst they still could.
So you’re expecting the one Victorian team with a genuine H&A home ground advantage not to make the top 6? I get we don’t get 11 games at alphabet soup stadium but 9 is normally enough for our annual top 4 spot.

I guess if we have a season similar to 2012 I can live with it after a premiership 😎

So you’re expecting the one Victorian team with a genuine H&A home ground advantage not to make the top 6? I get we don’t get 11 games at alphabet soup stadium but 9 is normally enough for our annual top 4 spot.

I guess if we have a season similar to 2012 I can live with it after a premiership 😎
Whilst you do have H&A advantage others do not have here, it just reminds me too much of my Carlton team in 1995 that won 16 in a row and it was the last hurrah for older types like Justin Madden, Earl Spalding, Diesel and Sticks. They collectively had fired their last shot as veterans and got all they could out of it that season in 1995. 1996 we started off well but fell away by half way mark and no longer a real contender as season went on. I think this Cats team has even more veterans than we did in that season so it just seems natural there will be a collective drop off next season for you guys. Does not mean it will happen but it personally what I am expecting.

Yes, I believe as a fan you have to be ready for it and be realistic and really appreciate this flag big time. They given you a good ride and bang for buck over a long period. Enjoy it and make the most of it.

Thought it was hilarious, they were loving it. Who knows, it might spur Carlton's De Koning on to want to be the one holding the cup next?

KKuT7NxW.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back