Tom De Koning

Remove this Banner Ad

But we’ve been hearing ‘this is it’ since Ablett left at the end of 2010. Isn’t it just easier to wait and see what happens?
Selwood's body language told me he 90% certain he is retiring.
I've seen this before with our team in 1995. We had a lot of veterans like Kernahan, Madden Spalding, Diesel, Peter Dean, Mil Hanna, Dean Rice, etc etc. Collectively there is a time when they on the other side of mountain and achieved the one last flag and had your full. Cats have about the same amount of veterans. Do not worry about it. To win this years premiership is all that matters right now. Drink deeply of it and enjoy the moment.

I've seen this before with our team in 1995. We had a lot of veterans like Kernahan, Madden Spalding, Diesel, Peter Dean, Mil Hanna, Dean Rice, etc etc. Collectively there is a time when they on the other side of mountain and achieved the one last flag and had your full. Cats have about the same amount of veterans. Do not worry about it. To win this years premiership is all that matters right now. Drink deeply of it and enjoy the moment.

If we lost every game next season it wouldn’t really bother me but I believe that accepting a slide is a construct of what people say SHOULD happen.
There are no rules and you should never bow to what people tell you SHOULD be the norm.

Even that Carlton side - while obviously they never contended with that same group again, within 4 seasons they were back in a GF, and a season after that they went on a 13 game win streak from memory and at one point were arguably in better form than even Essendon in 2000. It shows retrospectively that they were already moving good capable players through even when all those great 95 players were exiting the club.

If we lost every game next season it wouldn’t really bother me but I believe that accepting a slide is a construct of what people say SHOULD happen.
There are no rules and you should never bow to what people tell you SHOULD be the norm.

Even that Carlton side - while obviously they never contended with that same group again, within 4 seasons they were back in a GF, and a season after that they went on a 13 game win streak from memory and at one point were arguably in better form than even Essendon in 2000. It shows retrospectively that they were already moving good capable players through even when all those great 95 players were exiting the club.
Probably not the best example to pick considering we were going outside the cap to do that. So actually, pretty similar to Geelong.

Trust me, the Cat players are not hearing what I expect is likely to happen for them next season.
They should try to win another premiership, obviously. I'm simply saying from my observations over the years, I'm not expecting it at all.

Trust me, the Cat players are not hearing what I expect is likely to happen for them next season.
They should try to win another premiership, obviously. I'm simply saying from my observations over the years, I'm not expecting it at all.

I wouldn’t expect it by any means. I’d be incredibly surprised if there isn’t already the skeleton of a plan in place as to how to get around the constraints of time, though.

Yeah, well clearly Cats can contend again in a few years time. But the Carlton team of 97, 98 and 99 were pretty ordinary.
Yes, we made the grand final in 1999, but we were nowhere near a top two or three team. What we had was a stupid finals system where we finished 6th, got smashed up in Brisbane and should have been eliminated. We just made the most of it the next two weeks with nothing to lose.
Season 2000, was Kouta at this crazy best (until injury took him out late in season). Whitnall and Hamill were real talents and Hickmott from your Cats was a crazy gun half forward. Campoereale that was debut season in 1995 was also in his prime. Cats in 5 years time can also be just as good. But like us in late 90's you probably will have a dip before contending again. We still had veteran champs Silvani and Bradley around in 2000. Hopefully you guys still have Jeremy Cameron and Sam De Koning turns into a Kouta like star.

I wouldn’t expect it by any means. I’d be incredibly surprised if there isn’t already the skeleton of a plan in place as to how to get around the constraints of time, though.
Wells was already talking about it last pre-season so he knows there has to be a real tilt at draft in next few years.
But I'm not sure how long he hanging around. I assume Mackie will take over and hopefully learned from the master Wells.
Mackie seems like a shrewd operator so you should be in good hands there when baton passed onto him from Stephen Wells.

Wells was already talking about it last pre-season so he knows there has to be a real tilt at draft in next few years.
But I'm not sure how long he hanging around. I assume Mackie will take over and hopefully learned from the master Wells.
Mackie seems like a shrewd operator so you should be in good hands there when baton passed onto him from Stephen Wells.

I would guess that there will be something approximating a ‘2-for-1’ approach where we keep trying to bring in either recycled players or Stewart/Kelly type rookies from the state leagues who are ready to go. 1 of them for every 2 developmental draftees. Phase out 2-3 veterans a season across say 4 years and hopefully be ready to go again with an almost new group.

Maybe De Koning, Stengle and Holmes can be the core of that regeneration

I've seen this before with our team in 1995. We had a lot of veterans like Kernahan, Madden Spalding, Diesel, Peter Dean, Mil Hanna, Dean Rice, etc etc. Collectively is a time when they on the other side of mountain and achieved the one last flag and had your full. Cats have about the same amount of veterans. Do not worry about it. To win this years premiership is all that matters right now. Drink deeply of it and enjoy the moment.
Did those players at Carlton play on in 96?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fairly sure there will be more De Konings in the league in coming years.
With eleven of them there surely is one or two more talented enough to make it at the top level.
I know the family, sorry to tell you mate, Sam's the youngest.
Unless you count Zoe, who could probably play if she wanted!

There were far too many people on the ground.

It seem to escalate with Hawthorn discovering they had children in the crowd during their run of flags. Then to make it more practical the wives would go out on the ground. Now we've got family. It's getting very close American level nonsense of thousands of people out on the ground.

If you keep it to the players only and a select few others you then allow all the fans in attendance to feel special as the players come around.

The way it's going is that the fans left in the seats will be wondering why they can't be out there on the field again.
Geelong players had their kids on the ground before Hawthorn

Am I the only one who found this a little… weird?

View attachment 1518348

I get he’s excited for his brother and wants to congratulate him, obviously.

But… he’s also a professional footballer for an opposition club. Jumping on the ground and celebrating with the cup? It struck me as bizarre and perhaps a little misguided. I get a quick embrace and all that, and proper celebrations in private… but this seemed a bit unprofessional for me.

Anybody agree? Or am I being a bit knobhead Kane Cornes here?
As a Carlton supporter, I couldn't care less that he was enjoying a family moment and celebrating with his brother.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back