Recommitted Tom De Koning [Signed until 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Harsh but similar critique to mine haha. If he's not a good forward and he cant push Pittonet out of the first position by the end of the year then getting a first round pick feels optimistic to me but Geelong fans seem perfectly happy with that.

Historically Geelong have been willing to just get the trade done..so realistically I could see Geelong trying to get him with less but in the end if it took our R1..and we rate his potential then I could see us trading a late r1 for him. His brother was drafted with a late R1 so trading in a player that one would expect to be ready to play may be proactive. Id say most on our board had reservations when we trade P21 for Stanley but now its looks a clever trade. Happy? Id say some would only trade an R2 for him...but we do not even have an R2. When we have no other picks in the 23 draft ..id not say happy to lose our r1 but bringing players ready to play has helped us to maintain competitiveness while some R1 that we drafted in the last ten years are no longer on our list.

Depends on what the pick no is. If its top 10 in this draft no way. If its around 20 like it was with bruhn i could be ok with it. That said while we will need a mature ruck this trade period there are cheaper options than tdk currently on afl lists that i would rather we go after.

Im not sure we have ever traded a single figure pick for anyone. If we traded something like that for a speculative player it would be a huge gamble for Mackie. Cant see it happening.

Historically Geelong have been willing to just get the trade done..so realistically I could see Geelong trying to get him with less but in the end if it took our R1..and we rate his potential then I could see us trading a late r1 for him. His brother was drafted with a late R1 so trading in a player that one would expect to be ready to play may be proactive. Id say most on our board had reservations when we trade P21 for Stanley but now its looks a clever trade. Happy? Id say some would only trade an R2 for him...but we do not even have an R2. When we have no other picks in the 23 draft ..id not say happy to lose our r1 but bringing players ready to play has helped us to maintain competitiveness while some R1 that we drafted in the last ten years are no longer on our list.

haha your late 1, a pick in the 20s will not get it done even if he plays the entire year in the VFL. We would be better off letting him go as a free agent and take the compo offered.

haha your late 1, a pick in the 20s will not get it done even if he plays the entire year in the VFL. We would be better off letting him go as a free agent and take the compo offered.
Is he actually a free agent?

And you think a 24 year old spending the whole year in the VFL behind an average to good ruck in Pittonet is worth more than a late round 1 pick?

Im not sure we have ever traded a single figure pick for anyone. If we traded something like that for a speculative player it would be a huge gamble for Mackie. Cant see it happening.

Dangerfield was the last time (9 before bidding).
Anyway i doubt we will have a single figure pick and if we did i doubt we would trade it for tdk.

Hes not a free agent

More like to go into the PSD than a pick in the 20s if he is only playing VFL

not a free Agent ... and if he was ..I doubt he would be band one if he came to Geelong.

..but i have to say ... i hope our R1 is a pick in the 20's . Would be indicative of a good season.

Is he actually a free agent?

And you think a 24 year old spending the whole year in the VFL behind an average to good ruck in Pittonet is worth more than a late round 1 pick?

Is there an example of a trade like that ever happening? A year in the VfL would be worse than being injured and missing games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's all about opportunity with him? Do Carlton fans have him best 22 starting forward and giving Pittonet a chop out? Pittonet is a good handy ruck (honestly arguably the perfect ruck for a list if you dont think a top level ruck is worth the money) but at 24, if he's not pushing a Pittonet out, is he worth more than a Meek?

If fwd / ruck is his best position, he has a career total of 12 goals...

Feels like a player a club isnt going to pay overs for when out of contract and Carlton wouldnt get what he's worth on potential. Value both in money and picks could change wildly between now and the end of season anyway
Exactly my thoughts… seriously overrated his value by Carlton fans if he doesn’t take a big step this year. At 24yo end of season he needs to be a regular good player to get a first rounder in return. He is now a mature senior footy player, not a young kid. He needs to produce

There are few on the Saints board keen on this lad but I don’t see it being worth the cost.

I think we need a genuine key forward to match up with King and I don’t see De Koning ever being a huge threat in the forward line. More of a ruck that can rest forward.

Big year for the kid. He has shown a bit of potential but needs to put it all together.
If geelong are eyeing him off I bet it is with KPD intentions. We don’t need a ruck as we have Conway. He would be a backup at best.

There are not many speculative 24yo out there. The footy world will know his value by the end of the season if he wants out.

if he wants out and we can turn him into something decent + a back up ruck then he can go imo.

pick 15-18 feels about right unless he goes to another level this year
If he stays his current output at 24 years old and 6 years in the system then his a second rounder on value.

If geelong are eyeing him off I bet it is with KPD intentions. We don’t need a ruck as we have Conway. He would be a backup at best.

I agree that TDK is being overrated currently due to the media love in and partly on the success of his brother, however ... to call TDK "speculative" and then say that he would only be a ruck back up to Toby Conway (0 games - which is the definition of speculative) is also silly talk.

I agree that TDK is being overrated currently due to the media love in and partly on the success of his brother, however ... to call TDK "speculative" and then say that he would only be a ruck back up to Toby Conway (0 games - which is the definition of speculative) is also silly talk.

I used the term speculative as I feel his trade collateral would be based a lot on potential. Just what is his ceiling? What would Carlton want. in your opinion.

Why would we go ahead and spend an early 20’s pick on a 205cm ruckman and then two years later go out and spend a good pick on a 24yo backup ruck?? Unless they have lost faith in Conway, or have other plans for TDK, that would be a senseless investment.

I think De Koning still has the potential to make it, but turning 24 this year the "he's still developing" argument won't stack up for much longer. I'm aware rucks take the longest of all positions to develop.. but facts are he is yet to play a single good game of footaball at AFL level. Not one.

The truth is Carlton was a much better football side when De Koning doesn't play. Statiscially he was the worst #1 ruckman in the competiton last year in clerance differential, and this was with a great midfield at his feet. Pittonet isn't exactly a star but the clearance differential with him rucking vs De Koning was staggering. Injuries were the only reason De Koning played in 2022, and if Pittonet was fit he would have had yet another year of reserves footy.

Casual fans will love his highlights package, in particular his abiltiy to take the odd contested grab, but he does not impact games of footall. He does little around the ground. Doesn't kick goals. Is not dangeours as a resting fwd. And gets destroyed in clearance.

Unless De Koning wants to accept a very modest contract I'd let some other side buy into the hype and we'll take the picks/players that come back our way.

Maybe Carlton are just playing him in the wrong position. Maybe he's not a ruckman.

Maybe Carlton are just playing him in the wrong position. Maybe he's not a ruckman.
He’s spent a bit of time forward and doesn’t look like a forward either.

I think he’s much more likely to make it as a ruck that can push forward on occasions rather than genuine key forward.

Still young in terms of ruckman I guess but has a lot to improve on

He’s spent a bit of time forward and doesn’t look like a forward either.

I think he’s much more likely to make it as a ruck that can push forward on occasions rather than genuine key forward.

Still young in terms of ruckman I guess but has a lot to improve on
To be honest he's got all the earmarks of a Liam Jones/Darcy Moore defender. I know some will say that's only because of his brother but if you have the athletic talent of TDK and marking ability but struggle to find space in the forward line and run the right leads u tend to go alright down back. I think if he doesn't make it as a ruck he'd be tried down there.

Would certainly have the speed and leap to at worst be a decent 3rd man up type

I know that there was one particular media commentator who suggested he will get $1mill per annum going forward which most people would dismiss out of hand.

However, let's just play the game a little more with that "guesstimate".

If for example ............. say Essendon came along and offered him $1mill to jump ship, then the trade price has to be commensurate with the salary.

You don't plonk $1mill on the salary table to the player and then in the next breath say he's ony worth a late-second rounder in the trade (even though we all know that Dodo would expect that to be the deal).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back