Tom Fullarton - New Cat B Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

The main advantage for former basketballers playing Aussie rules would seem to be getting out of congestion with Pendlebury being the main example.

Taller former basketballers like Tippett, Jessie White and Archie Smith have great athleticism but it was hard to see if any of their skills from basketball transferred to Aussie rules.

I’m assuming Fullarton has decent athleticism but might be further behind with his fitness than the average draftee.

500649_6811396da3a4880c36cb74165c6b3ea2.png

Looks like he'll have a few familiar teammates from that u15 AA team outside Ballenden.

I’m assuming Fullarton has decent athleticism but might be further behind with his fitness than the average draftee.
Given he has been playing basketball if anything he would probably be ahead on fitness than the average draftee but behind on putting on bulk and basic skills like kicking and hand balling. But given his background it should all come back in time.

Interesting pickup. I imagine the rest of this season will be spent on getting his fitness levels up and putting on some size. His skills might need a little bit of sharpening up but I would imagine that sort of touch will come back quickly given his junior elite background and basketball skills.

Basically he comes as a replacement for Hanley the younger.

Sensational news! He’s played plenty of footy at an elite level so doesn’t need years of education. Would have likely been a highish draft pick. It seems the worm has turned luck wise! I see Rayner was in the same AA team and Conor.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sensational news! He’s played plenty of footy at an elite level so doesn’t need years of education. Would have likely been a highish draft pick. It seems the worm has turned luck wise! I see Rayner was in the same AA team and Conor.

Starcevich too.

I think 9 of that side were drafted in the end, however, i'm not getting too excited as the development between U15 and U18's, let alone AFL level is massive.

He obviously showed potential at that point in time, I just hope its not one of those 'developed early' situations.

The kid could have gone to the states to play college basketball yet has chosen to swap to football. Surely he wouldn't take the risk unless there were many who think he's got the football ability to have a good, successful career. I may be buying into the hype a bit as I rate him as a basketballer but I just have a good feeling about Tom.

I think 9 of that side were drafted in the end, however, i'm not getting too excited as the development between U15 and U18's, let alone AFL level is massive.

He obviously showed potential at that point in time, I just hope its not one of those 'developed early' situations.

It's a fair call - he's coming from a long way back development wise and will have to readjust to footy. But given it cost us nothing to get him in its well worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid could have gone to the states to play college basketball yet has chosen to swap to football. Surely he wouldn't take the risk unless there were many who think he's got the football ability to have a good, successful career. I may be buying into the hype a bit as I rate him as a basketballer but I just have a good feeling about Tom.

Its a free kick for the club and i'm hoping it turns out to be a big win (we are due for one). Honestly I have no idea on the kid, so I''ll try and temper my excitement until he gets going at NEAFL level and hopefully the reports that come back are positive.

Its a free kick for the club and i'm hoping it turns out to be a big win (we are due for one). Honestly I have no idea on the kid, so I''ll try and temper my excitement until he gets going at NEAFL level and hopefully the reports that come back are positive.

If this was November and the kid was nominated in the draft just imagine the excitement around this forum for his potential as a possible draftee.

- KPP
-200cm
-AA U16 AFL
-Captain of Aust u17 basketball
-Turned down College Basketball offers
-played footy since he was 4
-Lions Academy and Lions supporter who wants to play for us

It’s ok to get excited! This is a massive free kick and very pleasing news on an otherwise sad day.

Those two kids on the far left of the back and front rows look like mean SOB’s at 15 :p

That's Mitch Crowden back left who, last year was, at one stage, 175-88 and completely muscle bound while the kid next to him is Kyron Hayden who was drafted by North Melbourne.

Another thick bugger at 186-87.

Crowden to Fremantle from Sturt in the SANFL and Kyron's from Subiaco in the WAFL.

Not quite. The kid had a choice between joining the Bullets as a development player or going to college in the States. He chose the Bullets, and an early pay day.
If you read the Bullets press release, that is clearly mentioned. Once he chose the Bullets and signed a professional contract, he forfeited the chance to play in the NCAA, as the NCAA has clear rules about kids who have played pro can't then go and play for an NCAA college.

Not quite. The kid had a choice between joining the Bullets as a development player or going to college in the States. He chose the Bullets, and an early pay day.
If you read the Bullets press release, that is clearly mentioned. Once he chose the Bullets and signed a professional contract, he forfeited the chance to play in the NCAA, as the NCAA has clear rules about kids who have played pro can't then go and play for an NCAA college.

The point was more so he is good enough to have interest from the US which is a big deal in basketball. He wouldn't go and swap to football unless he had real talent and a good chance of making it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back