List Mgmt. Tom Gillies' trade prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see us using 2 picks on him - 33 in 2008 and 79 in 2012. He's had his chance.
Pretty much! Tom's cards were marked reasonably early in the year in my view.

My guess is that the club put his name on the table in order to give him another chance at another club, but there was no interest.

I reckon it would be in his best interests to try his luck elsewhere.

I'm hoping he sees the writing on the wall stays in the VFL team and puts in 100% and tries to crack into the team.

He will make a good depth player if he doesn't make it.

Much better.
I liked his form 3 years ago. I really thought he could have been something.
Yes he has lacked opportunities, but he's also had a few chances to step up.

If nothing else you'd expect he'd be a big force at VFL level by now. Oh well, next.

the change in coaching styles also could have played a big part because we emphasized handball all through the backline and across the ground when he was showing potential a couple years back but we changed it and became much reliant on accountability as well as kicking and this change was also brought on through our VFL squad.
Gillies would blossom at another club like Melbourne where they throw caution to the wind and play right through the middle of the ground like we did a few years back.

Yeah not a bad call Bobby.
He just reminded me of David King with his gait and speed, and long raking handballs.

I've said all along I never saw him as a KPP.
Maybe having such a crap VFL back line for a few years has weighed him down?

nahh never saw him as KPP either, did have some faith that in time he'd get his s**t together but unfortunately he just doesn't look to be made for AFL against the bigger/agile forwards of the game.
At 192cm, it's not big enough either unless you got marking skills and he doesn't have that asset to his game.

Mitch Brown surpassed him down back and he doesn't even play as a defender, well he didn't until this year.

You've opened the way now for Hawthorn to get him with pick 72. From there he will most likely play on Hawkins and totally dominate, putting an end to the view that he can't play on KPPs.

Given the magic Wells can use with picks 25 to 50 that second round draft pick offered by Hawthorn last year for Gillies services is now just a wasted opportunity.

You've opened the way now for Hawthorn to get him with pick 72. From there he will most likely play on Hawkins and totally dominate, putting an end to the view that he can't play on KPPs.

Given the magic Wells can use with picks 25 to 50 that second round draft pick offered by Hawthorn last year for Gillies services is now just a wasted opportunity.

Given that he was slaughtered by VFL player Dean Galea only a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure Hawkins will handle him.
As to pick 72, there's no guarantee he will even have to go into the draft. If, as his agent suggests, there are clubs interested, he might go in the 2nd FA period.

Given that he was slaughtered by VFL player Dean Galea only a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure Hawkins will handle him.
As to pick 72, there's no guarantee he will even have to go into the draft. If, as his agent suggests, there are clubs interested, he might go in the 2nd FA period.
If your referring to the VFL GF it was Bathie who got slaughtered. Gillies played as a roaming defender in that game and was pretty good filling holes down back and providing rebound.

Probably the second best of our back 6 on the day just behind Bews IMO.

Still your right Hawkins would slaughter him but the comment was clearly said with tongue in cheek.

If your referring to the VFL GF it was Bathie who got slaughtered. Gillies played as a roaming defender in that game and was pretty good filling holes down back and providing rebound.

Probably the second best of our back 6 on the day just behind Bews IMO.

Still your right Hawkins would slaughter him but the comment was clearly said with tongue in cheek.

They had to use Bathie on him in the GF because Galea murdered Gillies in the QF.

They had to use Bathie on him in the GF because Galea murdered Gillies in the QF.
Fair enough didn't see that game. Just assumed you meant the GF when you said a few weeks ago because the QF would have been more like 6 weeks ago.

Fair enough didn't see that game. Just assumed you meant the GF when you said a few weeks ago because the QF would have been more like 6 weeks ago.

No worries, definitely not going to argue about "a few".
I wouldn't mind betting though that (if it hadn't already been decided) that game might have signalled the end for Tom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's probably the funniest thing that I have read on BF for quite a while.

Hawkins would rip Gillies' limbs off.

Galea plays the sort of game that would have beaten Scarlett WHEN he was getting good delivery.
In the last/4, the one we dominated Port, Bathie also dominated Galea.

Galea plays the sort of game that would have beaten Scarlett WHEN he was getting good delivery.

Yes, Galea is an unusual sort of player, probably too "in-between" to succeed at AFL, but one who would absolutely dominate local footy.
But he wouldn't have out-muscled Scarlett shoulder to shoulder as he did Gillies.

At 192cm, it's not big enough either unless you got marking skills and he doesn't have that asset to his game.

Of course, if you have marking skills it does not matter if you are around the 192cm mark. Being around that mark did not seem to be a great hindrance to the AFL careers of Matt Scarlett, Ben Rutten, Darren Glass or Chris Tarrant.

Tom just didn't perform well at vfl level the last two years, pity as we all had such high hopes for him after 2009.

It's the right call to delist him though, and we didn't have much other choice.

If he does get another chance as a FA or on someone else's rookie list, hopefully for his sake he makes the most of it.

Got to pull you up on this.

Galea is fat, slow, relatively short and quite unfit. Granted he's a very intelligent player, too intelligent for Bathie and Gillies but he's not doing the sorts of things he did to them to Scarlett. Scarlett's not losing the ball in the air, he's not getting pushed out of the way either. Scarlo eats that sort of play up, it's why Fev would always go home winning nothing.

I'd back Galea to be goalless against Scarlett with Scarlo racking up 30+ possessions running off him. It's the difference between the best fullback in the history of the game and a VFL journeyman.

Got to pull you up on this.

Galea is fat, slow, relatively short and quite unfit. Granted he's a very intelligent player, too intelligent for Bathie and Gillies but he's not doing the sorts of things he did to them to Scarlett. Scarlett's not losing the ball in the air, he's not getting pushed out of the way either. Scarlo eats that sort of play up, it's why Fev would always go home winning nothing.

I'd back Galea to be goalless against Scarlett with Scarlo racking up 30+ possessions running off him. It's the difference between the best fullback in the history of the game and a VFL journeyman.
In the first 3/4 of that GF, with unimpeded delivery, Scarlett of 2012 would not have stopped those goals he got. Intelligent, maybe, slow-not the first 15 metres, unfit, yes, was nowhere in the last/4, and if Scarlett had played in that game, you can bet he'd be beaten as it would have signified the end of him anyway to be playing VFL. Sorry, being argumentative, I do agree with you.

In the first 3/4 of that GF, with unimpeded delivery, Scarlett of 2012 would not have stopped those goals he got. Intelligent, maybe, slow-not the first 15 metres, unfit, yes, was nowhere in the last/4, and if Scarlett had played in that game, you can bet he'd be beaten as it would have signified the end of him anyway to be playing VFL. Sorry, being argumentative, I do agree with you.

Well, if Gillies was useless against Galea, and Scarlo would have been useless against him, we're lucky we're shot of both of them, that's all I can say. :)

Well, if Gillies was useless against Galea, and Scarlo would have been useless against him, we're lucky we're shot of both of them, that's all I can say. :)
My (futile) argument is that if Scarlett had been playing that VFL GF, it would not have been the Scarlett we're used to. By definition.
Anyway, looks like I've lost Gillies too now.

Well, I hope he gets a crack at it somewhere else, at least that way he won't die wondering.
Heard today Saints and Hawks are both "keen", and can obviously get him a lot cheaper than the trade Hawks were offering last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back