Roast Tom Hawkins’ goalkicking

Remove this Banner Ad

He has kicked 20.27 (43%) in his last 10 games.

In 2017-2020 to that point he had kicked 207.112 (65%).

It’s getting to be a problem, whether it’s due to technique, yips, field position, whatever.

Pull yourself together Tom!

What percentage of those kicks are shots from the pockets or boundary line?? Probably the answer right there. That final against port was something like 0.5 and rhey were all tucked against the pocket

What percentage of those kicks are shots from the pockets or boundary line?? Probably the answer right there. That final against port was something like 0.5 and rhey were all tucked against the pocket
See post #2.

He is taking a lot of shots from the wrong side for a right footer but as we know he has that inside out left to right swing on his kicks which makes that side easier for him. Has he lost that ball flight?

View attachment 1116650
That diagram shows you exactly what is going on. He has no confidence to lead up the ground. 1 Goal from 25 metres in front. Who the hell teaches him. If he has lost touch let him get confidence in the seconds because he will not get it in the seniors and certainly not this week.

Comparing the graphs is a complete change. He needs to change the way he plays.
Has to learn to lead up the ground not the pockets.
Has to not stand behind his opponent,
Has to learn not to go missing when we need him...
He has to not get reported etc.
Unless he changes I would also try Jezza in the forward line without him

I would swap him for many younger players at the moment. Having said that he has given us great service

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 22.10.43.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 22.10.17.png

He’s a reliable kick. Like a good putter who is seeing them lip out he will come good.

Not worried at all.

Me either....he had a poor night, it happens.

Hawkins performance will be forgotten sooner rather than later.

Our delivery to him is beyond shithouse. What the f*ck happened to kicking the footy to a space the forward leads into? Lead out. Chest mark. Kick a goal. Lead out. Chest mark. Kick another goal. We should have Cameron or Hawkins living in the goalsquare and leading out from it, and whoever isn't in the goalsquare can be high half forward. Clear out the rest.

Hawkins' Hectare! Cameron's... um... yeah, I dunno.

Except Hawkins chooses to wrestle more often than lead, and when he finally does, he takes off towards the boundary, rather than the centre square.

It could be partially due to the poor, wild, indiscriminate delivery with which he's had to work with for some years now. We've spent so long creeping slowly around the boundary before finally kicking a bomb of hope that he's forgotten any other way.

There was a suggestion on Saturday night that even Cameron was getting frustrated with the delivery, and he's played what, just a couple of games??

But then Hawkins does get the yips, and appears to be in the middle of one right now.

Perhaps if his goal assists were added to the "data" we would have a clearer picture of his worth and a debunking of the commentary to have him replaced.
Anyone suggesting he be replaced needs to find another hobby. His worth is abundantly clear. His impact will be even greater if he starts kicking sausage rolls.

Comparing the graphs is a complete change. He needs to change the way he plays.
Has to learn to lead up the ground not the pockets.
Has to not stand behind his opponent,
Has to learn not to go missing when we need him...
He has to not get reported etc.
Unless he changes I would also try Jezza in the forward line without him

I would swap him for many younger players at the moment. Having said that he has given us great service

View attachment 1117479

View attachment 1117481

In some ways , I think he may be a bit over rated. He has never averaged 3.0 in a season but I feel he plays hand in hand with the way the side plays. I suspect the club is happy enough to have lead into pockets. It plays into the forward pressure matra etc. I wonder how other forward leading patterns compare. West Coast for example

I have no idea who you could replace him with. If Jenkins is on our list as his back up ..the last think we need is Jenkins in our side. I do not see anyone on our list I would rather have playing the role atm.

Except Hawkins chooses to wrestle more often than lead, and when he finally does, he takes off towards the boundary, rather than the centre square.

It could be partially due to the poor, wild, indiscriminate delivery with which he's had to work with for some years now. We've spent so long creeping slowly around the boundary before finally kicking a bomb of hope that he's forgotten any other way.

There was a suggestion on Saturday night that even Cameron was getting frustrated with the delivery, and he's played what, just a couple of games??

But then Hawkins does get the yips, and appears to be in the middle of one right now.

My belief is that the stay at home and the lead to the pockets is a consequence of how CS wants is to play. If he doesnt mark it , then he doesnt want a rebounded ball from CFH straight into our backline. Its also been many years since there was quick entries where Hawkins has a chance to lead into the 35<>50 without other defenders in the area.

Surely Jez would have studied the way we play etc. Very early to be getting frustrated but if he is , then the clubs will have to balance a few factors. I somehow doubt he will sacrifice the way Hawkins has

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My belief is that the stay at home and the lead to the pockets is a consequence of how CS wants is to play. If he doesnt mark it , then he doesnt want a rebounded ball from CFH straight into our backline. Its also been many years since there was quick entries where Hawkins has a chance to lead into the 35<>50 without other defenders in the area.

Surely Jez would have studied the way we play etc. Very early to be getting frustrated but if he is , then the clubs will have to balance a few factors. I somehow doubt he will sacrifice the way Hawkins has
Could also be the result of our slow play, allowing opposition teams to flood our f50. Out to the pockets is probably the only free space he has to lead to.

Lol at any suggestion he needed to be replaced. Aside from conversion his numbers are and we’re still elite, he is our best ball user inside 50, creates multiple goals every game with his disposal and even after some dodgy kicking still has 18 goals from 8 matches well into his 30s.

seriously don’t think he will be truly appreciated for just how good he’s been over a long period until he retires.

absolute champion of the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back