Universal Love Tom Hawkins 2020 Coleman Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy is obviously the main threat, especially with an extra game in hand. He has been very up and down this year, but he's the type of bloke that could go bang at any time and kick 10 in a game. That said, I reckon Kennedy is about a 50% better player in Perth and I think the rest of West Coast's games are in QLD.

The run home:

Geelong: Western Bulldogs, Essendon, Richmond, Sydney
West Coast: Richmond, Essendon, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, North Melbourne

I'm really hoping Hawkins can win it this year (and I reckon some of the players are too - Danger for example trying to hit him up yesterday instead of taking a shot from 40 out in the clear). Another AA is pretty much a given this year, but a Coleman would really cap off his resume. The bloke deserves it.

Kennedy is obviously the main threat, especially with an extra game in hand. He has been very up and down this year, but he's the type of bloke that could go bang at any time and kick 10 in a game. That said, I reckon Kennedy is about a 50% better player in Perth and I think the rest of West Coast's games are in QLD.

The run home:

Geelong: Western Bulldogs, Essendon, Richmond, Sydney
West Coast: Richmond, Essendon, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, North Melbourne

I'm really hoping Hawkins can win it this year (and I reckon some of the players are too - Danger for example trying to hit him up yesterday instead of taking a shot from 40 out in the clear). Another AA is pretty much a given this year, but a Coleman would really cap off his resume. The bloke deserves it.
I didn’t realize they had an extra game to play. This could be close. The fact that Kennedy only kicked one on the weekend is good for us.

It's going to be very close. I tend to think Kennedy might just pip him at the post simply because given the type of players they are, if both of them are directly involved in a combined 6 goals and assists during a match you know that for Kennedy it will be in the form of 6 goals and 0 assists, whereas for Hawk it will be 4 goals and 2 assists or 3 goals and 3 assists.

But he's got a great chance!

It's going to be very close. I tend to think Kennedy might just pip him at the post simply because given the type of players they are, if both of them are directly involved in a combined 6 goals and assists during a match you know that for Kennedy it will be in the form of 6 goals and 0 assists, whereas for Hawk it will be 4 goals and 2 assists or 3 goals and 3 assists.

But he's got a great chance!
I agree but I reckon he’s playing a bit more selfishly in the last few games because he knows it’s probably his last crack at a Coleman.

Wasn’t as a keen to pass it yesterday and very demanding for the ball.

I agree but I reckon he’s playing a bit more selfishly in the last few games because he knows it’s probably his last crack at a Coleman.

I reckon I noticed the same thing. Good. It's admirable that he likes to bring others into the game, but he's always been too unselfish imo.

Hawkins will need to nail the next few games to be a genuine shot, Kennedy is far more selfish (only compared to Hawkins, not in a bad way) and could dine out on some weaker teams (Bombers, North) that Hawkins likely wouldn't.
Even then 5 goals up is a pretty good gap, and assuming he continues some form should bring it home.

I think if you isolated certain moments yesterday that is a possibility - but then there was 3-4 occasions where he took possession of the ball around 20-25m from goal, had the chance to probably manufacture a kick, and handballed it off instead.

With 4 games to go the big fella is 5 goals clear in the Coleman. Unless he gets suspended or Kennedy kicks a massive bag, we could have our first Coleman since senior.

still a close one given Kennedy has one game up his sleeve??

Still not getting my hopes up about a Coleman yet because hawkins has too much of an unselfish knack to fish plenty off while Kennedy has a very selfish ping at goal attitude.

Kennedy’s attitude is more Coleman medalist likely... we will get a better idea the next few games

Still not getting my hopes up about a Coleman yet because hawkins has too much of an unselfish knack to fish plenty off while Kennedy has a very selfish ping at goal attitude.

Kennedy’s attitude is more Coleman medalist likely... we will get a better idea the next few games
I noticed Patrick trying to pass to him rather than kick a long point. Could be a group effort happening.......

Yep, I don't necessarily see it as a criticism of Kennedy either - I like forwards to be a little on the selfish side.

It's interesting to compare the two over their careers:

Kennedy: 639 goals; 132 goal assists
Hawkins: 587 goals; 219 goal assists

I reckon most would rate Kennedy as the better forward career wise, but Hawkins is actually ahead if we include assists - 806 to 771.

Hawkins has played more games though, so if we average it out they are remarkably close:

Kennedy: 3.024 goals & assists per game
Hawkins: 2.996 goals & assists per game

At the end of the day people value goals more highly than assists, but I was actually surprised Hawkins' goal tally was as close to Kennedy's as it is. I'm incredibly biased, but considering the other things Hawkins brings to the table (not to mention his time spent in the ruck earlier in his career) a 52 goal difference isn't that great.

P.S. Time to start counting down to 600 goals. 13 to go - should happen this year if he maintains his current form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Hawkins would give a flying * about winning a Coleman. Of course it'd be nice but it'd be the furthest thing on his mind. He's not that type of person.

I don't think Hawkins would give a flying fu** about winning a Coleman. Of course it'd be nice but it'd be the furthest thing on his mind. He's not that type of person.
This. 100%.
Any perceived "demanding of the ball" was simply the fact that the mids were not delivering as well as usual.
We now have clear structures and systems about how the forward line functions and how the ball is delivered.
These were not being met, partly due to Adelaide's pressure.
Tom is the ultimate team man.

Looks like Kennedy might be gone for the night with 0 goals to his name. Don't mean to celebrate injury - especially to a bloke I really like - but that certainly helps Hawkins' Coleman chances.

In my experience, seeing your opponents hobbled in any quest for success (supposedly dramatically heightening your hopes of emerging triumphant) often only ends with some spectacular implosion or misadventure of your own. So I hope Kennedy gets back out there (in this game or the next) and keeps competing hard for his team (and the Coleman).

Looks like Kennedy might be gone for the night with 0 goals to his name. Don't mean to celebrate injury - especially to a bloke I really like - but that certainly helps Hawkins' Coleman chances.

sort of wish he did it just on his own accord beating Kennedy in a shootout... but the way hawk is going he just needs to keep kicking goals or someone else might even clip him.

he has a tendency when down to kick 0 even, so needs to keep going with his 2-3 at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back