Universal Love Tom Hawkins 2020 Coleman Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

coleman medal
3 x AA KPF
Best and Fairest, probably x2
2 x Premiership player
Arguably the most well-rounded forward of the decade

and still completely disregarded by non cats fans.

Not disregarded, though. Actively mocked and ridiculed, actually. It's petty and bizarre.

Anyway, Gary's social media post (featured at #211 in this thread) is all you need to know about Toma's actual value as a player and a teammate.

Pure. Gold.

coleman medal
3 x AA KPF
2 x Premiership player

I was alluding to the critics on our board...the "usual suspects."..Not one appears here to congratulate Tom...

Says plenty...too busy hanging s**t on the club to recognize one of our champions.

One of my earliest memories of attending the footy regularly at Kardinia Park is of seeing Hawk in the ruck, the experiment we undertook when he was the third choice key forward, Podsiadly and Mooney seemingly a long way in front as our preferred duo. T-Bone (as he's affectionately known as on Triple M) ascended to second choice as Moons' career began to wind up in 2011, but our forward line was centred on Podsiadly, and that structure took us to a Grand Final. Along the way the Tomahawk was improving, but most would agree the Pod was our man.

So it was a game-defining moment when the JPod fell awkwardly and made a mess of his shoulder with over a half of football left in the Grand Final. Either we'd severely lack a key forward and struggle to score, or Hawkins would come to the fore and make the position his own. Every single Geelong supporter can proudly look back on that afternoon and remember the day the young lad almost single-handedly tore apart Collingwood and propelled us to victory, in the process making the number one forward spot his own.

Since that watershed moment we've seen him grow into the biggest and strongest forward in the competition (and burst through his own jumper so many times that he was left wearing somebody else's at one stage), then slim right back down again to become a mobile forward, all the while leaving opposition defenders scratching their heads as to how to stop him. He's transformed again in 2020, this time to a strong deep forward with an unmatched ability to use his body size and strength to manoeuvre his opponent under the ball and become a one-on-one beast.

While he's won nine straight club goalkicking awards, the likes of Kennedy, Franklin, Riewoldt and Roughead have held a stranglehold over the league's top goalkicking honour. It's absolutely fantastic that Tom can finally add his name among the list of goalkicking champions of the AFL as a Coleman Medalist, a prize that he truly deserves.

Congratulations Tom, it's an honour to have seen you bleed blue and white for so many years. Let's go and add another well-deserved medal to your cabinet this October

coleman medal
3 x AA KPF
2 x Premiership player

Bar the couple of silly suspensions (a lot of them complete garbage stitch ups), there is not much you could complain about. A very solid performer.

The suspension last year against west coast was a low point though. Missing the prelim was terrible. Who knows what difference he could have provided in that game? Might have been enough to turn the result.

I was alluding to the critics on our board...the "usual suspects."..Not one appears here to congratulate Tom...

Says plenty...too busy hanging sh*t on the club to recognize one of our champions.
so you sit there and label certain geelong supporters as critics and usual suspects. Thats terrible behaviour. how about we just read threads and take comments on face value rather then trying to categorize posters and check quotas.

Maybe some people dont bother to post congratualtions on a board because they feel these threads are boring and pointless and it has nothing about how they evaluate tom hawkins year. Its not like he is going to read the thread. These threads never raise debates. For some posters they are boring to read.

hawkins has been the best foward in the comp for the past 3 years. but i dont feel there is any point posting congratulations on a footy forum to a player who will never read it in a thread that will be only read by posters who already agree with the sentiment. If you want to then go nuts. Dont criticise others because they think its empty and pointless. A forums equivalent of a greeting card.

Last edited:

Says plenty...too busy hanging sh*t on the club to recognize one of our champions.
Can't but agree. Too much criticism of him here and amongst our supporters generally. I seem to spend time defending him in conversations and defending his suspensions- no-one else is penalised for what he is-. So love him, love his skill and his attitude and of late his speaking gigs after the game.
Not saing that I need a pat on the back but credit to him for loving the GFC the way that we do.

so you sit there and label certain geelong supporters as critics and usual suspects. Thats terrible behaviour. how about we just read threads and take comments on face value rather then trying to categorize posters and check quotas.

Maybe some people dont bother to post congratualtions on a board because they feel these threads are boring and pointless and it has nothing about how they evaluate tom hawkins year. Its not like he is going to read the thread. These threads never raise debates. For some posters they are boring to read.

hawkins has been the best foward in the comp for the past 3 years. but i dont feel there is any point posting congratulations on a footy forum to a player who will never read it in a thread that will be only read by posters who already agree with the sentiment. If you want to then go nuts. Dont criticise others because they think its empty and pointless. A forums equivalent of a greeting card.
Like clockwork.

Time to really make his mark on history with a big finals series and flag. Would top off an already great career but also help give him due recognition.

Love that guernsey.

That logo is miles better than our current one. I'd have it as probably our second best logo behind the classic 80s and 90s logo:

b104b9a4e6bade671a08b317ea23a121.gif

I really wish we'd go back to this one or the one shown in the Hawkins guernsey above.

Time to really make his mark on history with a big finals series and flag. Would top off an already great career but also help give him due recognition.
Hawkins has already done this. he was the best player of the 2011 finals series. Also close to best on ground in the 2009 prelim and kicked the critical goal in the 2009 last qtr gf.

nonetheless doing it again will help elevate him to top 3 foward status of the decade. Peak end effect will help him. Some may even rate him second to only buddy if he has another big finals.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

S'OK Seeds. You stir your way, I'll stir mine.
Its not stiring. A poster decided to use a congratulations thread to categorize and take a pot shot at other geelong supporters for the heinous act of doing nothing. it was terrible behaviour and I shouldnt be the only one to be calling it out. Stop categorizing posters. We are all geelong supporters.

Its not stiring. A poster decided to use a congratulations thread to categorize and take a pot shot at other geelong supporters for the heinous act of doing nothing. it was terrible behaviour and I shouldnt be the only one to be calling it out. Stop categorizing posters. We are all geelong supporters.
All good. I have never doubted your passion.

Hawkins has already done this. he was the best player of the 2011 finals series. Also close to best on ground in the 2009 prelim and kicked the critical goal in the 2009 last qtr gf.

nonetheless doing it again will help elevate him to top 3 foward status of the decade. Peak end effect will help him. Some may even rate him second to only buddy if he has another big finals.
Despite what he has done, I don’t think he has the recognition he deserves. I think a big finals series *this year* would do that. Get it?

Buddy aside - and even with Buddy it is only the sheer high-end body of work rather than the overall volume, it has been a long time since he's been influential - I think the argument can be made that he's been the next best of 2010-2020. He's only really got Riewoldt and Kennedy as genuine competition, Kennedy as a pure goakicker has him covered obviously but he's not as good an all-round contributor (still a great player, no argument there). Riewoldt has become a much more rounded player in the last 3 years and had some good finals performances but the figures still probably favour Hawkins. As said above, a huge finals series culminating in a flag would really cement his spot in the modern forward pecking order.

That logo is miles better than our current one. I'd have it as probably our second best logo behind the classic 80s and 90s logo:

b104b9a4e6bade671a08b317ea23a121.gif

I really wish we'd go back to this one or the one shown in the Hawkins guernsey above.

Love this logo - it's the one I grew up with, so I'll always have a soft spot for it

Despite what he has done, I don’t think he has the recognition he deserves. I think a big finals series *this year* would do that. Get it?
That would of been easier to get if you said "another big finals series".

Plenty of geelong posters think he is a bad finals performer and forget he has had many great finals games. How am i to know what your view is?

Buddy aside - and even with Buddy it is only the sheer high-end body of work rather than the overall volume, it has been a long time since he's been influential - I think the argument can be made that he's been the next best of 2010-2020. He's only really got Riewoldt and Kennedy as genuine competition, Kennedy as a pure goakicker has him covered obviously but he's not as good an all-round contributor (still a great player, no argument there). Riewoldt has become a much more rounded player in the last 3 years and had some good finals performances but the figures still probably favour Hawkins. As said above, a huge finals series culminating in a flag would really cement his spot in the modern forward pecking order.
Riewoldts and hawkins statistics are virtually identical. Its almost uncanny how close they are. Whoever has the biggest end to their careers will end up being ranked the better player.

People forget 2009. That smother to kick that "point goal" was fantastic.
That was a goal out of nothing when they were really hard to get.
Then nailing that other shot under pressure.
We don't win that without him.
I think he's been a better finals player than Jonathon Brown and everyone seems to really revere him.

But I'm the best one! Look how good I am for telling everyone that you didn't congratulate Hawkins on a thread he'll never see.
Look at me and say I'm good. Say it!

People forget 2009. That smother to kick that "point goal" was fantastic.
That was a goal out of nothing when they were really hard to get.
Then nailing that other shot under pressure.
We don't win that without him.
I think he's been a better finals player than Jonathon Brown and everyone seems to really revere him.
That goal from a set shot 45 metres with a wet ball when no one had scored in yonks. Just huge.

That would of been easier to get if you said "another big finals series".

Plenty of geelong posters think he is a bad finals performer and forget he has had many great finals games. How am i to know what your view is?
Safe to assume I’m aware of what he did in the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back