Universal Love Tom Hawkins 2020 Coleman Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

He will also finish the season as the No.1 ranked player in the competition for score involvements, on the podium for goal assists and top-10 for contested marks.

Happy for him to get one. Been immense for us for the better part of the last decade with little support up forward. Easily the best one-on-one KPF during the period but just struggled due to how we setup and always being the only target and therefore being constantly double/triple-teamed.

Good he has one. Doesn't need it, but it helps elevate his status beyond the confines of the GFC and historically within it. He's been a very good key forward for us and should be recognised as such for years to come. Going to be exceedingly difficult to replace him and I doubt we will be able to for quite a long time.

Happy for him to get one. Been immense for us for the better part of the last decade with little support up forward. Easily the best one-on-one KPF during the period but just struggled due to how we setup and always being the only target and therefore being constantly double/triple-teamed.

Good he has one. Doesn't need it, but it helps elevate his status beyond the confines of the GFC and historically within it. He's been a very good key forward for us and should be recognised as such for years to come. Going to be exceedingly difficult to replace him and I doubt we will be able to for quite a long time.
Jeremy might be a good start for now!

No thread on the main board for Tommy and his historically dominant Coleman, which is basically the only objective award in footy.

Love ya big fella, what a career it has been.
You have a very long BF name. What is the shortened version of your name?

If big Sav learnt to kick do you see him filling the void in years to come?

What does that even mean?
Are you one of the usual suspects seeds?

If you are who cares where you post, as long as its on topic, and in the spirit of the thread. Not everyone loves the debate like you do, so maybe if you let others enjoy the small victories a little more in other toast threads like this one, then they wouldn't bait you so much. You don't need to bite by the way they are only another key board warriors just the the rest us, you included.

Back on topic.

Have loved T-Bone since the beginning, and since the retirement of Mooney we've built our forward line around him every year. Whilst it might have been better to have a more talented supporting cast, you can't argue his strength as a player isn't a big part of the mostly sustained home and away success we've enjoyed for the last 9 years.

Jeremy might be a good start for now!
If we could get him, for sure. But I always have doubts about Geelong pulling off those really big-name acquisitions. Dangerfield was a special case.

If big Sav learnt to kick do you see him filling the void in years to come?
I'd be more concerned about him developing the game sense required at AFL level. Also needs to fine-tune a lot of aspects of his game, like consistently taking marks he should, kicking, etc. I'm not writing Sav off yet, but he's got a long way to go. Someone will have to play the role, and he's the most likely unless we can bring someone else in, however. I just doubt he'll be anywhere near as effective as Hawkins has been, and it's not just the big forward target that Hawkins gives us that we'll miss but the work he does further up the ground, the way he helps us set up scoring opportunities, etc. He's powerful one on one and a reliable goal kicker and everything, but such a description undersells him as being one dimensional - he's actually a clever player and skillful around the ground. It's a lot for any player, especially a young, inexperienced one like Sav, to make up.

But Tom is still playing good footy, so hopefully he can continue for a couple more years and we'll have a more solid idea then of what Sav is capable of and could have landed some kind of trade target. Otherwise it's back to the draft.

If we could get him, for sure. But I always have doubts about Geelong pulling off those really big-name acquisitions. Dangerfield was a special case.
Geelong is frequently touted in the early days of trade talk as a preferred or possible destination club but as you say we rarely snare the big fish. Ottens and Danger the last big ones. It surprises me though because the feedback from those who made the switch to Geelong is invariably what a great lifestyle, great club and club culture there is.

Geelong is frequently touted in the early days of trade talk as a preferred or possible destination club but as you say we rarely snare the big fish. Ottens and Danger the last big ones. It surprises me though because the feedback from those who made the switch to Geelong is invariably what a great lifestyle, great club and club culture there is.

How many have we genuinely gone after though?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to further my point, a quick comparision:

20 of these goals came from free kicks.

It is such a joke to witness statistically the free ride that other forwards get when compared to Toma. As this evidence shows, what we see watching the games is actually backed by the numbers. He's basically invisible to the umps.

Apart from when they 'spot' an infringement by him, of course.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just to further my point, a quick comparision:

20 of these goals came from free kicks.

Didn't watch all of it but he gets a lot those threatening a jump, it's a gamble(if the free isn't paid you're out of position) but I bet if Hawkins jumped once the felt the grab he'd get more free kicks, he used to get them before his back issues faired up

In other news, forward coach Corey Enright is taking Arabella Hawkins approach with his forwards. Picture the scene, 2020 grand final an exhausted Gryan Miers picks up the phone as he sits on bench “Hi Gryan, it’s Corey, kick it in the middle and I love you”. “Thanks Mr. Enright but I told you last time, this is just weird”....

Remember, this is the guy who as a kid kicked one of the most high pressure goals in the '09 GF, and then two years later tore apart the '11 GF in one of the most dominant displays we've seen from a key forward in a final for a long time. He can do it, the whole team just lacks serious confidence these days whenever the word 'final' comes around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back