Tom Hawkins 700 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The most surprising stat there imo is the accuracy. Jack is a very good shot, Hawk has had patches where he’s been fairly unreliable. I thought he would have a fair few more behinds

One plays on a ground with no sharp angled pockets. 😉

When you look at their scoring shots though it is:

Riewoldt 737 goals 437 behinds - 63% of shots that score are goals

Hawkins 701 goals 391 behinds - 64% of shots that score are goals

So it is another remarkably similar statistic in their records.

I recall Hawkins having the yips in one period but I don’t remember it continuing for long in terms of his overall career.

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
One plays on a ground with no sharp angled pockets. 😉

When you look at their scoring shots though it is:

Riewoldt 737 goals 437 behinds - 63% of shots that score are goals

Hawkins 701 goals 391 behinds - 64% of shots that score are goals

So it is another remarkably similar statistic in their records.

I recall Hawkins having the yips in one period but I don’t remember it continuing for long in terms of his overall career.
I’d say mcg has a lot more wind protection than the Geelong home ground.
Look at Ablett snr kicking accuracy. 😆

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d say mcg has a lot more wind protection than the Geelong home ground.
Look at Ablett snr kicking accuracy. 😆

Pussy Paddock has had a better conversion rate than Punt Road Oval ii over the course of time. 😁

Lingsface

Premiership Player
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong

Pussy Paddock has had a better conversion rate than Punt Road Oval ii over the course of time. 😁
Hahaha ok I stand corrected…. I think.

patmatcat

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2009
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't have Hawkins in the same tier as Riewoldt, Tredrea and Kennedy.
They're both a tier below Brown, N. Riewoldt and Pavlich.
Which are a tier below Richo, Lloyd and Fevola for mine.
Every geelong supporter would take Hawkins, played a good hand in one grand final, and went berserk in another.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Lol, no. Hawkins gets the pretty boy treatment while all other forwards have to deal with defenders hanging on at every contest.
Nonsense. He's been scragged most of his career especially the last 10 years for very few of the frees he should have got. Pull your head out of your @$$ or stfu about it.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure if someone has mentioned on this thread, but Hawkins and Riewoldt, both drafted in 2006 have produced incredibly similar careers in certain key statistical areas.

Riewoldt 315 games v Hawkins 314 is remarkable in itself.

Riewoldt 737 goals v Hawkins 701.

Riewoldt 235 goal assists v Hawkins 260

Riewoldt 972 goals + goal assists v Hawkins 961 goals + goal assists.

Riwewoldt 437 behinds v Hawkins 391 behinds.

Riewoldt 3796 disposals v Hawkins 3886 disposals.

Riewoldt 61 Brownlow votes v Hawkins 58 Brownlow votes.

Riewoldt 499 contested marks v Hawkins 583 contested marks.

Riewoldt 674 tackles v Hawkins 597 tackles.

In finals it is roughly a similar story overall as well. Both have been tremendous players, but the parallels in their careers are there for all to see.
Yes it is

How long do you think Reiwoldt has left? Another season after this one?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
For sure, he's a great clubman. That's like I would take Gary O'Donnell over a better player from another team because he was such an amazing clubman.

Biased or not, numerically Hawkins is at worst the third best forward in the league over the space of an entire decade, and you can mount an argument - a good one considering he’s kicked more goals than any other player in that decade, that he has been the best. That’s without even considering his goal assists and ruck work.

Clubman indeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
Biased or not, numerically Hawkins is at worst the third best forward in the league over the space of an entire decade, and you can mount an argument - a good one considering he’s kicked more goals than any other player in that decade, that he has been the best. That’s without even considering his goal assists and ruck work.

Clubman indeed
One thing I will give him, is that unlike most of his old team mates, his best work was done AFTER Dank left for Essendon.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
One thing I will give him, is that unlike most of his old team mates, his best work was done AFTER Dank left for Essendon.

Yes it’s amazing how lots of players play worse when they hit their late 20s and early 30s. Excellent deflection.

Lol @ ‘left.’

Left after what, the conversation where we spoke to him about sourcing a legal supplement?

Whatever gear he was feeding your c***s, they were s**t full stop.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
Should have many years left. Even if he parks in the goal square he will always command the 1st or 2nd best key defender.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure if someone has mentioned on this thread, but Hawkins and Riewoldt, both drafted in 2006 have produced incredibly similar careers in certain key statistical areas.

In finals it is roughly a similar story overall as well. Both have been tremendous players, but the parallels in their careers are there for all to see.
Both have had to adjust their game during their careers. Hawkins due to injury and Riewoldt to improve the balance of the team.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
It's pretty impressive how good he still is as a player at 33 still.
Great ruck in the forward 50, good in the wet, good shot for goal, good user of the footy.

A great player with a great career. I don't find the Cats particularly likable but there's no doubting the achievements of the Hawk.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

That's pretty incredible. Over a large sample size you'd be hard pressed to find more identical career stats for key forwards.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
1655684619902.jpeg

I remember about 5-6 years ago, watching a game where he couldn't bend down to get the ball off the ground and had the turning circle of an ocean liner, and thought his bad back would end his career before he ever fulfilled his potential (tbf, he was a dual premiership player then, but only the one AA). I'm not sure what's happened since, but having 3 AAs (perhaps a 4th this year) after that does speak volumes to commitment to recovery and getting the best out of himself to create a pretty rare career renaissance.

Has comfortably had an AFL HOF career, not Legend status, though he may have such an elevation in the Geelong HOF at some point in the future and his fans would think it well deserved.

Jul 29, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Bombers, SA Spurs, Browns and Eels
I am starting to think my opinion of him has been largely swayed by exactly how dominant he was as junior.
From memory I thought he was going to be the next Jason Dunstall.
After reading many other neutral supporter opinions, maybe I have been to harsh on him, statistically he is actually very good.

Back