Tom Hawkins 700 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember about 5-6 years ago, watching a game where he couldn't bend down to get the ball off the ground and had the turning circle of an ocean liner, and thought his bad back would end his career before he ever fulfilled his potential (tbf, he was a dual premiership player then, but only the one AA). I'm not sure what's happened since, but having 3 AAs (perhaps a 4th this year) after that does speak volumes to commitment to recovery and getting the best out of himself to create a pretty rare career renaissance.

Has comfortably had an AFL HOF career, not Legend status, though he may have such an elevation in the Geelong HOF at some point in the future and his fans would think it well deserved.

I thought he might have been done early 2018.

He'd come off a really poor last 2 Finals in 2017, and after 5 rounds he had 4 goals.
Comes back into the side after missing through injury against Port, from that point he's played 100 games, kicked 259 goals, had 97 goals assists.
3 AA selections, a Coleman Medal.

Just odd that his prime has come from 2018-2022.

Nathan Buckley has declared Geelong star Tom Hawkins his number one key forward in the AFL at the present time.

“I’ve said consistently, I think he’s the best key forward in the competition at present and he’s probably been there a little while,” the former Collingwood coach told SEN Breakfast.

“I just think he gets better and better.

“It’s a fair effort in modern footy to have kicked as many (goals) as he has.

“His teammates love him. I’d suggest that he is one of the most important players to his side in comparison to others in the comp.

“I think he’s the best key forward right now in the game and I reckon he’s been there for the last four or five years.”

I am starting to think my opinion of him has been largely swayed by exactly how dominant he was as junior.
From memory I thought he was going to be the next Jason Dunstall.
After reading many other neutral supporter opinions, maybe I have been to harsh on him, statistically he is actually very good.
In the Plugger/Dunstall/Ablett/Modra era he might have joined them as a century goal kicker. I think Hawkins would have been more likely than Riewoldt, even given Jack’s best season had him kicking 78 goals (22 games) and Hawkins’ best being 68 (24 games).

Hawkins mass let’s him keep going at this age, gives him the ability to bully people in the contest. Not sure if you guys have seen Sarah Perkins in the AFLW but it’s the same deal.

Hawkins mass let’s him keep going at this age, gives him the ability to bully people in the contest. Not sure if you guys have seen Sarah Perkins in the AFLW but it’s the same deal.
Perkins is just overweight, a fat bloke wouldn't dominate in the modern game like how Hawkins has. Considering how bad his back got at one stage he's done well to keep himself in such ripping nick and maintain his strength to the point where he clowns opposition ruckman.

Perkins is just overweight, a fat bloke wouldn't dominate in the modern game like how Hawkins has. Considering how bad his back got at one stage he's done well to keep himself in such ripping nick and maintain his strength to the point where he clowns opposition ruckman.

Yeah not saying Hawkins is fat but people like him and Lockett who are “stocky” generally do well as full forwards if they are still athletic enough which Hawkins is.

It's a hell of an achievement when you consider his career started really slowly.

After 5-seasons and 79 games he'd kicked just 107 goals. He was incredibly frustrating throughout that time and there was a feeling that he was never going to live up to his potential. Then kicks 594 goals over his next 236 games. Still going strong and hasn't slowed down at all.

Last edited:
Riewoldt 737 goals 437 behinds - 63% of shots that score are goals

Hawkins 701 goals 391 behinds - 64% of shots that score are goals

I recall Hawkins having the yips in one period but I don’t remember it continuing for long in terms of his overall career.

Hawkins has the yips in finals. Percentage drops by about 10%.

Riewoldt is going at 60% in finals (62% during home % away).

Yes it is

How long do you think Reiwoldt has left? Another season after this one?
He is past he's best but he still competes pretty hard, I think he has another season in him.
No one positionally is pushing him out & these players aren't easy to replace.

3 seasons ago I thought he was a very good forward at best.

I think he has elevated himself since then and you'd think he probably ends up in the HOF and an all time Geelong great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

315 games, 700 goals and top 3 all-time for goal assists, just unreal. Would be closer to 800 goals had he not passed off so many and would be in that 850 range without his back injury where he was forced to play ruck and it looked like his career was done.
Yeah jacks dished off 300.... Beat that fan boy

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

He is past he's best but he still competes pretty hard, I think he has another season in him.
No one positionally is pushing him out & these players aren't easy to replace.
He is coming off a Coleman medal winning season, and is currently 4 goals off winning another one…not too far past his best.

I take it thats your happy time

I think I read somewhere after the comeback against Collingwood early this year that we have overturned something like double the amount of 35+ point deficits as the next best side in the last 15 years so those come from behind victories have become sort of ‘regular’ or as regular as those rare things can be, but that Melbourne game is by far the best of them - I’ve never seen a match winning margin erased so fast, until, ironically, Melbourne did the same to us last year albeit in the third quarter not the fourth.

Pot/kettle

I think the following posts prove him right
Yeah jacks dished off 300.... Beat that fan boy

235, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story
Ruck turn it up

He spent parts of his early career in the ruck.
I take it thats your happy time

Overall, nice melt princess.

I think the following posts prove him right

235, but don't let facts get in the way of a good story

He spent parts of his early career in the ruck.

Overall, nice melt princess.
Melt princess im melting hard now

Old fat boy trying to take the morale high ground. I'm positive you gerard wankly

It’s moral, not morale. I’d be very surprised if anyone has ever tried to take the morale high ground.

What high ground? What morality is involved in recognising that someone is either an adolescent or is writing like they have the brain of one? Do you understand what moral high ground actually is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back