Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what's happening, but a few hours ago Tom instagrammed a pic of himself in a hospital bed.
He knew the Caddy for Lids thing was coming up... and got to hospital for the headache it created... :cool::D

Go Catters

GEELONG is confident star forward Tom Hawkins will not have a delayed start to his pre-season after having minor knee surgery this week.

The hulking forward had a piece of his meniscus trimmed after suffering a small tear to it during the season.

The Cats said yesterday Hawkins had played part of the season with the injury but said it was not serious.

Hawkins will be fit in time for Geelong’s first day of pre-season but may start slightly behind the rest of the group with the surgery limiting his ability to keep condition through the off-season.

Which of the following would help most without Hawkins being doubled up at the time?
a) Hawkins to play CHF
b) better ball delivery from our mid
c) get another tall in a quality of Josh Bruce
d) Hawkins to lead rather than wrestling

Which of the following would help most without Hawkins being doubled up at the time?
a) Hawkins to play CHF
B is important, but I'm going with D. I get that there isn't much space to lead into if our ball movement from defence is slow, but it's harder to double or triple team a man on the move ahead of a man calling for it to land on top of his head in the square. If he's crashing a pack on the move around 30m out I think it creates better opportunities for crumbers than the long predictable ball to the square. Think about the Hawthorn QF. He was always presenting, moving up and down the field, creating havoc and almost everything was going through him. The worst instances were the two Sydney games where his feet were seemingly glued to a spot 15m out.

Teams do still manage to pick out targets when there's heavy congestion. Hell, it happens against us. That's not possible if people aren't presenting. I don't think it's just a Hawkins issue though. There needs to be at least two others doing the same thing, working different channels and creating space for each other. If he's the only one leading, it becomes just as predictable. Now we have Menzel. Motlop and McCarthy are more the crumbing types. We badly lack that other link up player, mobile leading forward. Kersten when on form was that. For D to work, that's an issue we have to address.

B comfortably and with the caveat of the ball movement being quicker.
Yep. B would make the greatest difference. A might force some changes that would help. D is irrelevant in the current environment and method of ball movement. Hawkins leads when there is space and doesn't when there isn't.

a) Hawkins to play CHF
B is important, but I'm going with D.

D is entirely dependent on B. We tend to bomb it in on the poor bloke's head, then wonder why he stays put and wrestles. It's because he has to defend where the ball is going to land. If we kick it out in front of him he has no choice - to get to the fall of the ball he must leave his opponent and lead.

D is entirely dependent on B. We tend to bomb it in on the poor bloke's head, then wonder why he stays put and wrestles. It's because he has to defend where the ball is going to land. If we kick it out in front of him he has no choice - to get to the fall of the ball he must leave his opponent and lead.
true and true :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's one perspective. But what comes first - the chicken or the egg? If I have the ball around the midfield my first option is look for players presenting. Failing that, it's a long kick to a 1v1 or pack as the get out option. I agree, it is brilliant when players can use a kick to direct traffic. It's even better when a forward line is doing this off its own bat.

Undoubtedly B would improve D and vice versa. But having the best ball users in the world is useless if forwards aren't creating that movement and unpredictability with their approach. Hopefully a new forwards coach will see improvements in this area. And yes, definitely tweaks regarding our ball use to complement this.

giphy.gif

We should have traded him while he still had value and we have the chance - can you imagine having Walters in our forward line along side Taylor last night...

:rolleyes:

He was bloody terrific.
Exceptional talent in every way possible. Even had the knack of lifting against top opposition very early on in his career.

As you say, at one point in time, he was the equal of Dangerfield after 30 games played, some even contemplated a trade between the two boys, years of injuries for one while the other went on to become the number one player in the game. I am sure if you asked Daniel would he have it any other way, he would answer emphatically "NO".
He's the man he is today because of the unfortunate (in our eyes) path he was dealt.

Have to love the bay. They are actually criticizing dan Menzel for being a failure after dominating last night. And in a weird twist they are also talking up his brother.
Is that Podgey's new Geelong obsession thread or somewhere else?

Have to love the bay. They are actually criticizing dan Menzel for being a failure after dominating last night. And in a weird twist they are also talking up his brother.

Woe Betide anyone that brings that in here.
Instant week off. Dont care.

And Seeds I know you are just mentioning it not promoting it.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back