Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem for Hawkins is that once finals footy starts, if he is not 'on' early, or the delivery is not good, he's essentially negated right out of the contest.
Unlike every single other player on that list, he cannot shift up the ground to get involved and help influence a contest. He's stuck in one position and because of this, his finals performances have left a lot to be desired.
It's not as though he's the size of Jeremy Cameron or Jarryd Roughead either, he stands close to 2 metres tall and weighs over 110kg's.
He has the advantage literally every single time he steps out onto the field.

He has played in sixteen finals, honestly, how many of them can you really say were good?
I count about four of them, 2011 PF & GF, 2014 SF and that's it.

He may only have a handful of opportunities left to improve on his post season record and until he does, Tom Hawkins will not get the respect you want for him.
Roughead use to cop it for not delivering in finals but he turned all that around in his later 20's.
He was also good in 2009 PF and 2011QF.. That's 5 out of 16 where he has been good, I'm sure he has been serviceable in others (like 2009 GF).. For a key forward that's actually not a bad strike rate

He was also good in 2009 PF and 2011QF.. That's 5 out of 16 where he has been good, I'm sure he has been serviceable in others (like 2009 GF).. For a key forward that's actually not a bad strike rate

Agree to disagree.
I'm not suggesting he's useless or we are better off without him but I do feel like he has let us down in the finals when a bag of 4 or 5 could have taken us so much further.
Like look at the amount of times he's been left hanging on 0 goals in a final.

I may be wrong but my dodgy memory has Hawkins as one of our best in that Kangaroos knockout final we lost a few years ago?
Him and Selwood almost single handeldly won that game

Yep. I did mention this game as one in which he played good in.
I understand it helps with agenda's, bringing up such a performance but I am talking about consistency here and he was next to invisible the week earlier.

Yep. I did mention this game as one in which he played good in.
I understand it helps with agenda's, bringing up such a performance but I am talking about consistency here and he was next to invisible the week earlier.
Geez Bobby, there is no bloody agenda. Just a discussion about Hawkins' finals performances I thought so I added my 2 cents.

Settle down hbk, you brought up a game I clearly already mentioned. You probably should not have added in the question mark if you did not want me to answer.
I am settled Bobby, just dont assume everything is about an agenda. It is a discussion board. The question mark was because as I clearly stated, I wasnt sure if my memory was recalling the correct game.

I don't assume everything is an agenda I do however believe you lot make out our players to be much more than what reality suggest.
I've read it all on here the last couple of pages, from Wayne Carey's inconsistent finals record to Tom Hawkins' 2009 Grand Final performance.

The bloke has averaged 4.2 marks and 1.5 goals in sixteen finals. That is poor and there is no getting around it.
You can bring up his 5 goal performance against North Melbourne, or his 2011 final series but the fact remains, he was no where to be seen in 2012, 2014 (one final) and was pretty mediocre last year having averaged 5.7 marks & 2.5 goals per game in the home and away season.
He needs to get rid of the mental demons and turn it on if he gets there again.

I don't assume everything is an agenda I do however believe you lot make out our players to be much more than what reality suggest.
I've read it all on here the last couple of pages, from Wayne Carey's inconsistent finals record to Tom Hawkins' 2009 Grand Final performance.

The bloke has averaged 4.2 marks and 1.5 goals in sixteen finals. That is poor and there is no getting around it.
You can bring up his 5 goal performance against North Melbourne, or his 2011 final series but the fact remains, he was no where to be seen in 2012, 2014 (one final) and was pretty mediocre last year having averaged 5.7 marks & 2.5 goals per game in the home and away season.
His record has mirrored the team's poor finals performances since 2011. Which is no surprise given the position he plays relies on decent service from up the ground.

I may be wrong but my dodgy memory has Hawkins as one of our best in that Kangaroos knockout final we lost a few years ago?
not wrong - and not dodgy in this case...

Nearly single handed kicked 3 or 4 in the last 1/4 to get us home at the death.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he played really well in the QF final last year. Maybe not reflected in the stats as much but so much of our scoring went through him, he worked his arse off and got to so many contests. Similar kind of performance to the Freo game Sunday actually. 12 contested possessions from a key forward is a solid effort, and I'd bank that a number of his 9 handballs were a part of scoring chains.

PF was of course a different story. He's had a couple of other stinkers. Overall a mixed bag of performances indicative of a fairly poor performing finals team 2012 onwards.

How many of the power forwards clunk pack marks like we expected him to do last season?
Quicker ball movement into F50 with a fitter and more agile Hawkins will do wonders - especially if he's 40-50 metres out where it's much harder to double team
Freo game was very exciting for the big fella - hope it continues
PS how good is his field kicking off both feet

Mental demons would refer to a player who goes from diamonds to rocks when going from home and away to finals. Hawkins goes from 1.95 goals per game to 1.5 goals per game,roughly 12 touches a game to 11, and about 1.5 marks less per game. Playing against teams who by their very nature are always of at least decent quality.

Now, there is a difference between being an adequate finals player and one who actually goes up a level.

But there is also a difference between an adequate finals player and one who goes missing. I don't think you're seeing that difference.

But there is also a difference between an adequate finals player and one who goes missing. I don't think you're seeing that difference.

Yes I am.
I don't think he's been good in most of his finals. Satisfactory perhaps?
I think he's traveling along at about the same rate as what Cam Mooney was in September.

I probably should not have even posted my thoughts on this matter as it's created a pretty big stir among our supporters but it's what I have witnessed and again, only a meaningless opinion like us all.

Being able to play one on one for a change instead of two or even three on one, makes a heck of a difference
If Taylor taking a KPD enables this then I won't give a s**t if he stays there and kicks 20-25 goals. If he gives Hawkins more 1v1 contests then it's a success on that alone.

Yes I am.
I don't think he's been good in most of his finals. Satisfactory perhaps?
I think he's traveling along at about the same rate as what Cam Mooney was in September.

I probably should not have even posted my thoughts on this matter as it's created a pretty big stir among our supporters but it's what I have witnessed and again, only a meaningless opinion like us all.

Well it just seems like you're saying that he chokes, more or less, come finals time, when statistically (when you factor in that in finals every opponent is decent) he is virtually at the same level he's always at.

Scott answered a question on Hawkins on the Ask the Coach segment today. The sentiment was that Tom's not any fitter/slimmer after this preseason than previous years and he inferred that problems of seasons past are no longer present. Wonder if he's referring to the back issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back