Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah, I think if ablett is able to stay fit then we should be playing hawkins at chf and dangerfield as a pretty much permanent ff. as nerve racking as it sounds taking one of the best mids in the comp out of the midfield, setting up like that will:
- make use of hawkins great field kick and remove the problem of him being double teamed
- bring potentially a 50-60 goal player into the forward line
- make room in the midfield for kelly and menegola

I think a lot of puzzle pieces fall into place with this setup, hope we give it a try.

Like your logic...people always harping about smalls up forward when the main avenues are falling down.
We need a change up this year.

yeah, I think if ablett is able to stay fit then we should be playing hawkins at chf and dangerfield as a pretty much permanent ff. as nerve racking as it sounds taking one of the best mids in the comp out of the midfield, setting up like that will:
- make use of hawkins great field kick and remove the problem of him being double teamed
- bring potentially a 50-60 goal player into the forward line
- make room in the midfield for kelly and menegola

I think a lot of puzzle pieces fall into place with this setup, hope we give it a try.

It's an interesting thought we bat very deep in midfield (and trading in/FA another mid at year's end if we need it will be much cheaper than trading in a quality KPF) so we could probably cover him and i reckon he would kick 50-60 a year as a permanent forward. But to take the best player in the comp out of the area of the ground where the ball generally spends the most time would be very brave coaching. Will be interesting to see what setups we try.

It's an interesting thought we bat very deep in midfield (and trading in/FA another mid at year's end if we need it will be much cheaper than trading in a quality KPF) so we could probably cover him and i reckon he would kick 50-60 a year as a permanent forward. But to take the best player in the comp out of the area of the ground where the ball generally spends the most time would be very brave coaching. Will be interesting to see what setups we try.
Play our best players in their most natural positions IE,Hawkins FF,Taylor KB,Duncan Selwood Dangerfield Ablett Menengola running through the middle and all haveing time as part of the forward structure,Ablett or Dangerfield deap when resting forward,Duncan Selwood and Menengola higher up the ground.Keep it structured keep it simple.

Who is our forward line coach? IT seems that it is part of the problem. There is no system in the forward line, granted we have had injuries to McCarthy and Gregson who would have played the small forward role but even so it is always a mish mash of play. We rarely have a clean entry nor an easy goal.
Would seem a pity to put Dangerfield there as his real strength is that bullocking out of the midfield-if only he was a great kick- so hopefully Crameri or ??? can become the FF. Resting Dangerfield or Ablett there is one option though. Menzel not sure where his best play is, but he is a good mark and kick.

Boris is the forwards coach now, its his first year of it. Brad Johnson does some part time work with the forwards (small forwards mostly) but I'm presuming that's more skills work.

It will be interesting to see if Boris can develop a brand for the forwards to play by, that would be a nice change. Not holding my breath though.

Hawk needs help, teams have learnt to sit 2 defenders back on Hawk and we struggle to score, the only way we will win a premiership is if the coaching staff have sorted something out over the summer.

Who is our forward line coach? IT seems that it is part of the problem. There is no system in the forward line, granted we have had injuries to McCarthy and Gregson who would have played the small forward role but even so it is always a mish mash of play. We rarely have a clean entry nor an easy goal.
Would seem a pity to put Dangerfield there as his real strength is that bullocking out of the midfield-if only he was a great kick- so hopefully Crameri or ??? can become the FF. Resting Dangerfield or Ablett there is one option though. Menzel not sure where his best play is, but he is a good mark and kick.

Pretty sure its Boris now.

GO Catters

Boris is the forwards coach now, its his first year of it. Brad Johnson does some part time work with the forwards (small forwards mostly) but I'm presuming that's more skills work.

It will be interesting to see if Boris can develop a brand for the forwards to play by, that would be a nice change. Not holding my breath though.
Ah thanks for that. Never sure about a backman coaching forwards or vice versa but at least Enright has footy smarts

I relate it to GASr.. Danger probably has the capacity to play and be elite in the middle .... one GAsr best games was his 200th(?) in wa when he kicked 5 playing in the middle ... yet I believe he was at his best playing in the forwardline. Lots of players can play on ball..playing in the forwardline is a far rarer talent. Danger could become a 70-80 player if he put a tad more focus on a setshot routine and practice conversion.. and players like that are just not seen now.
I agree brave coaching... but maybe like Danger got injured ... as he gets older .. playing forward will be the way to make the most of his body. But probably just like GAJr .. the idea of playing permanently in the forward role would not sit well.

In this era Hawkins playing forward like has been and continues to be a very significant role

I relate it to GASr.. Danger probably has the capacity to play and be elite in the middle .... one GAsr best games was his 200th(?) in wa when he kicked 5 playing in the middle ... yet I believe he was at his best playing in the forwardline. Lots of players can play on ball..playing in the forwardline is a far rarer talent. Danger could become a 70-80 player if he put a tad more focus on a setshot routine and practice conversion.. and players like that are just not seen now.
I agree brave coaching... but maybe like Danger got injured ... as he gets older .. playing forward will be the way to make the most of his body. But probably just like GAJr .. the idea of playing permanently in the forward role would not sit well.

In this era Hawkins playing forward like has been and continues to be a very significant role
If Dangerfield ever became half the forward Yablett was he'd be well pleased as would the rest of us,but for now I'm in the he should play the midfield role much the same as the last 2 seasons.

When GAS kicked 14 v Tigers in 89, it was from a wing, running forward. I was there, wife's birthday, unforgettable.
NOBODY in my history is the equal of the ability and talent GAS was.

When GAS kicked 14 v Tigers in 89, it was from a wing, running forward. I was there, wife's birthday, unforgettable.
NOBODY in my history is the equal of the ability and talent GAS was.
I was there too. It still remains the greatest individual performance I've seen inc his efforts in the 89 GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vision of KB pulling away at his already scant hair was classic
Anybody who argues against him being the GOAT simply didn't see him play.

I remember the news reports before every football round being focused on who was going to stop Gaz ... he was that good.

I remember the news reports before every football round being focused on who was going to stop Gaz ... he was that good.
And the many non Geelong fans that flocked to games just to watch Ablett.

The answer was typically “no-one”.
The only player I’ve ever seen that often simply did what he liked on the field.
No-one that was as quick as him could match him on strength. Those who could didn’t have his speed or leap. Not one player could match the talent and football aptitude.
He’s the Don Bradman of AFL, so far in front of anyone else it isn’t funny and isn’t worth discussing.

The answer was typically “no-one”.
The only player I’ve ever seen that often simply did what he liked on the field.
No-one that was as quick as him could match him on strength. Those who could didn’t have his speed or leap. Not one player could match the talent and football aptitude.
He’s the Don Bradman of AFL, so far in front of anyone else it isn’t funny and isn’t worth discussing.
I remember well in 93 when he won some award on a footy programme- a car- and Carey was one of the panellists. He said during the presentation, words to the effect of- " you've got us players, then you've got Gary Ablett"

I have seen GASr play .... so what is your point Vdubs?
It's obvious what my point is, with all respect- possibly his best ever game, on a wing, streaming forward, 14 goals.
Sure, he starred as a KF later on as well.
Simply a player that should not be pigeon-holed into a category as a KF, small forward, non mid.

Last edited:
It's obvious what my point is, with all respect- possibly his best ever game, on a wing, streaming forward, 14 goals.
Sure, he starred as a KF later on as well.
Simply a player that should not be pigeon-holed into a category as a KF, small forward, non mid.

OK ... im not sure Im pidgeonholing GASr or Danger ... in fact Im saying that Danger could convert to and become a top forward..in the same manor as what GASr did ... as you know plenty disused if he should play forward or be where ever he wanted to be etc.

As far as some players go though ... I think its very fair to say they can do this role and not much else.

OK ... im not sure Im pidgeonholing GASr or Danger ... in fact Im saying that Danger could convert to and become a top forward..in the same manor as what GASr did ... as you know plenty disused if he should play forward or be where ever he wanted to be etc.

As far as some players go though ... I think its very fair to say they can do this role and not much else.
I wasn't having a go at your points re GAS, more just enjoying the reminiscences about the great player, and just my opinion that he was at some stages more than adept as a powermid.

I wasn't having a go at your points re GAS, more just enjoying the reminiscences about the great player, and just my opinion that he was at some stages more than adept as a powermid.
The state game in WA, 7 or 8 snags off a half forward flank in a losing team after he'd only played a handful of games! LEGEND.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back