Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

How good was that.

Footy is about moments and memories. I was at the game. The folks were in the car on the corner of Ryrie and Moorabool listening to the barracki... er, commentary on K Rock.

I have watched this close to a hundred times I recon. Those Cats v Hawks games of that era were something else.

Hope Tom can have a couple of highlights on Monday

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The best and most purely entertaining home and away game ever played. So good.
I struggle to think of a sport that has as good a crowd atmosphere, ongoing, than a good footy game.

Soccer goes nuts for goals. Basketball, NFL etc have their moments but are stop start.

A good close game of footy is.almoat unique in the way it can have so many consecutive high stakes contested moments.

That game was one of them

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I struggle to think of a sport that has as good a crowd atmosphere, ongoing, than a good footy game.

Soccer goes nuts for goals. Basketball, NFL etc have their moments but are stop start.

A good close game of footy is.almoat unique in the way it can have so many consecutive high stakes contested moments.

There is no equivalent in world sport. We're very lucky in this country. I try not to take it for granted.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
How good was that.

Footy is about moments and memories. I was at the game. The folks were in the car on the corner of Ryrie and Moorabool listening to the barracki... er, commentary on K Rock.

I have watched this close to a hundred times I recon. Those Cats v Hawks games of that era were something else.

Hope Tom can have a couple of highlights on Monday
Was at that game too- compelling -so good- go cats.

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams

Soccer isn't just nuts for goals. Good ultras will chant for a whole game.

Remember the excitement and almost the great white hope nature of Tom prior to him being drafted, his appearance on the footy show where he dwarfed Sam Newman..
Who would have thought at the end of it we would get to here, where he realistically has surpassed every expectation, will go to be our games record holder, 3 time premiership player (through straighter kicking you could argue at least one time and possibly 2 time Norm Smith Medalist), multiple All Australian, B&F Winner, Coleman Medalist and on top of everything he seems to be genuinely the best bloke in the league and all other players love him both team mates and opposition.

Just remarkable, what a blood star

Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
Remember the excitement and almost the great white hope nature of Tom prior to him being drafted, his appearance on the footy show where he dwarfed Sam Newman..
Who would have thought at the end of it we would get to here, where he realistically has surpassed every expectation, will go to be our games record holder, 3 time premiership player (through straighter kicking you could argue at least one time and possibly 2 time Norm Smith Medalist), multiple All Australian, B&F Winner, Coleman Medalist and on top of everything he seems to be genuinely the best bloke in the league and all other players love him both team mates and opposition.

Just remarkable, what a blood star

Does anybody have the footage of Tom on the Footy Show with Sam all those years ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Nah, AFL is the best spectator sport in the world and its not close.

I've taken soccer-mad friends and relatives from Europe to the footy occasionally and many of them have remarked how surprising and pleasant it is that fans from one team can sit next to fans of the other without any risk of a punch on. Apparently in the soccer, depending on the teams playing, you actually have to have bays not available for tickets and occupied by cops to keep the two sets of supporters separated so they can't attack each other. It sounds awful.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
I've taken soccer-mad friends and relatives from Europe to the footy occasionally and many of them have remarked how surprising and pleasant it is that fans from one team can sit next to fans of the other without any risk of a punch on. Apparently in the soccer, depending on the teams playing, you actually have to have bays not available for tickets and occupied by cops to keep the two sets of supporters separated so they can't attack each other. It sounds awful.
Don’t believe everything you hear. Those games and situations in euro soccer definitely exist, but they are easily avoidable. The only people who get caught up in violence at euro soccer games are those who actually want to be involved.

Nearly all games (especially in England in the premier league) are peaceful affairs. The big games are exhilarating.

Don’t believe everything you hear. Those games and situations in euro soccer definitely exist, but they are easily avoidable. The only people who get caught up in violence at euro soccer games are those who actually want to be involved.

Nearly all games (especially in England in the premier league) are peaceful affairs. The big games are exhilarating.
Areas of the Balkans and Turkey. Definitely.
N17... Booing Mr Levy.

Back