Analysis Tom Hawkins - clearly not insignificant !

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
In the same week that the Bulldogs great white key forward hope Tom Boyd gave the game away our own Tom, Hawkins, put in another typically industrious display up forward. Kicked 4, gave 2 away and generally just knew what he was doing in attack.

To me the best thing about Tom Hawkins is that the gap between his best and worst games has narrowed dramatically over the years - his output is very consistent considering the position he plays. Sometimes he'll mar a good game by spraying a couple of set shots (not often.), other times his timing will be off or his disposal over-cooked - but in general terms the team can genuinely rely on Hawkins to provide the kind of target that the coaches can design a forward line around.

If there was a similar Harry Taylor thread I'd be bumpin' that too; great last quarter today.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
In the same week that the Bulldogs great white key forward hope Tom Boyd gave the game away our own Tom, Hawkins, put in another typically industrious display up forward. Kicked 4, gave 2 away and generally just knew what he was doing in attack.

To me the best thing about Tom Hawkins is that the gap between his best and worst games has narrowed dramatically over the years - his output is very consistent considering the position he plays. Sometimes he'll mar a good game by spraying a couple of set shots (not often.), other times his timing will be off or his disposal over-cooked - but in general terms the team can genuinely rely on Hawkins to provide the kind of target that the coaches can design a forward line around.

If there was a similar Harry Taylor thread I'd be bumpin' that too; great last quarter today.
He is a special player who is adding strings to his bow as his career goes on. We are now seeing his all round influence capabilities with a semi functional forward set up around him. Still, he makes it all tick and his unselfish play almost always results in Geelong scores.

Mr Reliable.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
He is THE MVP of our club, no doubt about that what-so-ever.
We lose him and it's over, but he continues in this kind of form and anything is possible.
A lot of us have spoken over the last few years about how good Tom would be as a CHF, a position that gave him more space to lead and create but also having him further up the ground to utilise his sensational field kicking and decision making, we finally have a forward setup where that's possible (but not always) and we are reaping the rewards.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There’s still 3-4 seasons to go before he finishes yet but will there come a point where he actually gets recognised as being maybe not better than, but at least in the same company as Brown, Pavlich and Riewoldt? He will finish with around 700 goals playing largely unsupported for the last 11-12 seasons of his career.

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Casually dominant against the Suns, should probably have had 5, maybe 6.

A quick word on the big fella's forward pressure - he laid 3 'official' tackles tonight and I reckon I noticed all of them for how well executed they were - even against far shorter players, he manages to keep his arms low so as not to infringe - excellent technique.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Casually dominant against the Suns, should probably have had 5, maybe 6.

A quick word on the big fella's forward pressure - he laid 3 'official' tackles tonight and I reckon I noticed all of them for how well executed they were - even against far shorter players, he manages to keep his arms low so as not to infringe - excellent technique.
His forward pressure is an underrated part of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
3625E05E-87E2-45C1-9BE1-99494BB05264.jpeg

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
There’s still 3-4 seasons to go before he finishes yet but will there come a point where he actually gets recognised as being maybe not better than, but at least in the same company as Brown, Pavlich and Riewoldt? He will finish with around 700 goals playing largely unsupported for the last 11-12 seasons of his career.
Please Riewoldt????. Hawkins is so much better I cannot even mention them in the same sentence. Hawkins doesn't leap in the air , come down without the ball, lie on the ground whilst the ball has gone on for two more kicks.

Geelong move it quick and accurately in the first quarter. 3 goals. and passes off twice.
Fremantle up the pressure. Clog up the forward line... Barely touches it.

We keep not learning our lessons. We have got to manufacture a method that means we can get it in quick.
Not many in the comp better than the big Hawk when he gets a 1v1 contest.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong move it quick and accurately in the first quarter. 3 goals. and passes off twice.
Fremantle up the pressure. Clog up the forward line... Barely touches it.

We keep not learning our lessons. We have got to manufacture a method that means we can get it in quick.
Not many in the comp better than the big Hawk when he gets a 1v1 contest.

Not many?!?
NONE.
There are NONE better 1 on 1 than Tom.
Sav, Rohan, Danger, Ablett aren't far behind either....
Why we don't look to get it in there as quick as possible I don't know...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back